Ekiga

lewmur

I just installed Ekiga for the first time and have run into a problem. The default phone number provider, Diamondcard, doesn't have phone numbers for my areacode. Can anyone tell me how to get a number for the 504 areacode?

V.T. Eric Layton

*blank stare*What does Ekiga do? VOIP? What does it cost? I've never played with any of that stuff before.Sorry, I didn't help you at all with your issue. :w00t:

*blank stare*What does Ekiga do? VOIP? What does it cost? I've never played with any of that stuff before.Sorry, I didn't help you at all with your issue. :w00t:
Yes, it is sip software package. I'm having so many problems with Skype and pulseaudio, that I thought I'd give it a try. But if the only phone number I can get would be a long distance call from local phones, then it is pretty well a no go.

securitybreach

Tried googlevoice? I have googlevoice setup with eikiga on my nokia n810 and it works perfectly. http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html Also, you should have no problem getting a number in any area code you like. It is currently free for US numbers. I have 3 invites left if you want one. Just email me at the address in my signature and I will send you one.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

It is kind of a trick to setup but it works wonderfully after that for dialing and receiving calls. Basically googlevoice gives you a phone number to be used sorta of like a "router". Someone calls your googlevoice phone number and it rings on whatever phone you want including SIP clients. So if you are away from your computer, you can set it to ring your cellphone instead and the caller only knows of the google #. Look here for an explanation:http://icehanger.blogspot.com/2009/07/sipp...-and-gv-on.htmlThanks

Edited by securitybreach

Tried googlevoice? I have googlevoice setup with eikiga on my nokia n810 and it works perfectly. http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html Also, you should have no problem getting a number in any area code you like. It is currently free for US numbers. I have 3 invites left if you want one. Just email me at the address in my signature and I will send you one.Thanks
I would greatly appreciate an invite! :wacko: I applied for one from Google but haven't received a reply.Thanks

securitybreach
I would greatly appreciate an invite! :wacko: I applied for one from Google but haven't received a reply.Thanks
I need your email address. I have to send it via my voice.google.com page. If you dont want to post it just PM it.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

It is sent!!! Anyone else, I have two left?Thanks
Thanks Security. I got a Google Voice phone number. Now I just need to know how to get it to ring my Ekiga phone. The link says to get a sipphone account but sipphone says it's not accepting anymore accounts.

Thanks Security. I got a Google Voice phone number. Now I just need to know how to get it to ring my Ekiga phone. The link says to get a sipphone account but sipphone says it's not accepting anymore accounts.
Try sip2sip.info for a free sipphone account. I've been using mine for about a year now. I have it routed to a ATA, so it goes to a real telephone instead of a computer. I use it several hours each day and it works great.I'm not using Google voice with it, though.

securitybreach

I signed up at sip2sip.info but it seems like they do not give you the option of choosing your own number.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

Until Google opens Gizmo5 up for new accounts, it's going to be a little tricky to get your GV to forward to your ekiga phone. You can get a free inbound # with a Washington state area code from ipkall. It took about 3-4 days when I signed up last year. This will give you an inbound # that will ring your sip phone. Forward your GV number to your ipkall number and you should be set.Once Google reopens Gizmo5, then you can set it up directly without going through this extra step.

Until Google opens Gizmo5 up for new accounts, it's going to be a little tricky to get your GV to forward to your ekiga phone. You can get a free inbound # with a Washington state area code from ipkall. It took about 3-4 days when I signed up last year. This will give you an inbound # that will ring your sip phone. Forward your GV number to your ipkall number and you should be set.Once Google reopens Gizmo5, then you can set it up directly without going through this extra step.
This sounded like a very good idea so I signed up with ipKall and got a Washington State phone number. But when I try to call it, all I get is a busy signal. I followed the email instructions and went to the activation page and logged in with the assigned phone number and everything appeared to be OK.

securitybreach
Until Google opens Gizmo5 up for new accounts, it's going to be a little tricky to get your GV to forward to your ekiga phone. You can get a free inbound # with a Washington state area code from ipkall. It took about 3-4 days when I signed up last year. This will give you an inbound # that will ring your sip phone. Forward your GV number to your ipkall number and you should be set. Once Google reopens Gizmo5, then you can set it up directly without going through this extra step.
Hmm it still works for me. I wonder if it because I had set it up before google bought it.Thanks

Hmm it still works for me. I wonder if it because I had set it up before google bought it.Thanks
Yes, it still works. They just aren't accepting new members.

On your ipkall setup page, your sip phone number should be the 10 digit number that you got from sip2sip. The sip proxy should be set to sip2sip.info.In your sipphone application, you would enter the same information.If you are getting a busy signal, they probably just don't have your number fully activated yet.