mounting cdrom

réjean

Hi all!When I go into storage media ( in mandy ) and right click on the cdrom and choose "mount" I am told the "feature is available only under HAL". So I checked to make sure it was installed and it was but there were some lib files that were not. So I installed them and I still get the same message. So I tried Bruno's tip for mounting and I got the following:

[rejean@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab/dev/hda2 / ext3 relatime 1 1/dev/hda6 /home ext3 relatime 1 2/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0/dev/cdrom2 /media/cdrom2 auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0//rejean/Application\040Data /mnt/Application-Data smbfs username=% 0 0//rejean/C /mnt/C smbfs username=% 0 0//rejean/computer /mnt/computer smbfs username=% 0 0//rejean/rejean /mnt/rejean smbfs username=% 0 0/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,ro 0 0none /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0/dev/hdb6 swap swap defaults 0 0#/dev/hda11 /mnt/storage fat 32 defaults 1 2/dev/hda11 /mnt/storage vfat rw,users,umask=000   0 0[rejean@localhost ~]$[rejean@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rejean]# mount /dev/cdrom[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstabmount: you must specify the filesystem type[root@localhost rejean]#

So what should be the proper code?

Hi RéjeanNormally the proper command would be:

# mount /media/cdrom

. . . BUT . . . depending if it is a data CD or a music CD in Mandriva you should automatically get a pop-up 10 to 20 seconds after inserting the CD. That pop-up will ask you what to do with the CD.If you do NOT get the pop-up it can mean 2 things: Either you had the pop-up before and ticked the box to always automatically execute one of the choices given and not show the pop-up for that kind of media again. OR . . . the CD/DVD is faulty and HAL/Mandiva can not do anything with it.:unsure: Bruno

Hi RéjeanNormally the proper command would be: "# mount /media/cdrom/" . . . BUT . . . depending if it is a data CD or a music CD in Mandriva you should automatically get a pop-up 10 to 20 seconds after inserting the CD. That pop-up will ask you what to do with the CD.If you do NOT get the pop-up it can mean 2 things: Either you had the pop-up before and ticked the box to always automatically execute one of the choices given and not show the pop-up for that kind of media again.
Hi Bruno! I do not recall doing such a thing.[
OR . . . the CD/DVD is faulty and HAL/Mandiva can not do anything with it.
I thought about that and should have said that I had tried several ( good ) data and music cds but none work. Even some commercial music cds but I do not get any pop-up.As for the cd that I was talkingt about it contained 3 downloads; Spybot, Ad-aware and Windows anti-spyware. I just wanted to email my sister-in-law and attach ad-aware. I rebooted into WinXP on the same machine and it worked fine. Maybe I'll try another linux distro when I have time.Finally I tried:
[rejean@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rejean]# mount /media/cdrom[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstabmount: you must specify the filesystem type[root@localhost rejean]# mount /media/cdrom2[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstabmount: you must specify the filesystem type[root@localhost rejean]#

with the result you can see. Any idea anyone.

Let's see if everything is coorectly set up . . . let me see:

# dmesg | grep CD

and

# ls -al /dev/cdrom# ls -al /dev/cdrom2

BTW: Which of the 2 CD devices are you using ?:unsure: Bruno

I have a dvd burner and a dvd player but I am pretty sure that I unhooked the player because I can burn dvds so I would say it is cdrom.Here you go:

[rejean@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rejean]# dmesg | grep CDACPI: DSDT 7FFB0450, 5319 (r1  4CDS2 4CDS2141	  141 INTL  2002026)hdc: _NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drivehdc: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20[root@localhost rejean]# ls -al /dev/cdromls: cannot access /dev/cdrom: No such file or directory[root@localhost rejean]# ls -al /dev/cdrom2ls: cannot access /dev/cdrom2: No such file or directory[root@localhost rejean]#

with of course a cd into the dvd burner.

Edited by réjean

We are making progress:

[root@localhost rejean]# mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrommount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only[root@localhost rejean]#

Goooood . . . . it is mounted ( read only but that is normal behavior )Now change the fstab: these 2 lines:

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0/dev/cdrom2 /media/cdrom2 auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
to just one line:
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
Next reboot and see if you get the popup when inserting a CD ( if not mount it manually like we did above and you can access it ):unsure: Bruno

Great Bruno!We are making real progress. However after rebooting I tried a commercial music CD and got the following:

[rejean@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rejean]# mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrommount: you must specify the filesystem type

So I took the CD out and put the one I started the thread with and got this:

[root@localhost rejean]# mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrommount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only[root@localhost rejean]#

with:

[root@localhost rejean]# ls -al /dev/hdc /media/cdrombrw-rw---- 1 rejean cdwriter 22, 0 2008-09-02 16:56 /dev/hdc/media/cdrom:total 14dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2005-11-09 11:51 ./drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2008-08-03 19:41 ../dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2005-11-09 11:51 Lavasoft/dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 2005-11-09 11:51 Microsoft AntiSpyware/dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2005-11-09 11:51 Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.1/[root@localhost rejean]#

dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2005-11-09 11:51 ./drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2008-08-03 19:41 ../dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2005-11-09 11:51 Lavasoft/dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 2005-11-09 11:51 Microsoft AntiSpyware/dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2005-11-09 11:51 Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.1/
That's good !!And BTW: you do not ( can not ) mount music CDs . . . you just play them in KsCD of AmarokB) Bruno

BTW I think they should have a special entry for the Nobel prize as "genius" and I would be voting for you every year until you get the prize.
Me too! Bruno's really good at getting our rear ends out of the fire, isn't he?

If it weren't for Bruno and teacher, I would never have looked at linux!!! Yet alone try and actually install and use it.nobel.jpegTo Bruno: for kind and tireless support to Linux New Explorers and perennial New Explorers (that would be me!)

LOL . . . makes me wonder what tux I should wear . . would my usual penguin outfit do or should I get my tuxedo from the dry-cleaners ? :hysterical: :whistling: Bruno