LG Flatron LCD

Urmas

Houston, we have a problem...23617845kc5.pngAnyone here witnessed LCD monitor going south? When I tried to wake up the monitor (on stand-by, no screen saver), the "power light" switched from amber to green like it's supposed to do. But... all I got after that was half a second's worth of dimly lit desktop... nothing more. Dark is the night and all that. Saturday morning grumpy, I hard booted the machine... every time there was a "display event" (bios screen -> Grub menu screen -> Ubuntu bootup screen -> login screen), there was a brief, dim flicker of each of them, otherwise nothing.So... monitor gets video signal. I'm typing this using a spare CRT (aargh!), so video card is OK. Whatever the miskin is, it's "in" the doggoned LG.The monitor is five years old, so it would be moronic to pay "real money" to fix it... I mean, a bigger, better monitor costs under €200.Educated guesses?

Easy way to tell if it is the backlight.... hold a very bright light up near the screeen and see if you can see the picture on the screen. If you can, then the LCD panel itself is not broken, it is the invertor/backlight.Not that it really helps, but at least you know what has actually failed.Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Also, if you haven't already done this, unplug the monitor from the AC power for about a minute to see if it will reset its controller circuitry. This could be a glitch. If that doesn't resolve the issue, toss it in the miskin pile out back. It's probably not cost effective to repair. Go out and buy yourself a nice new Philips LCD TV and use it as a monitor. :hysterical:http://tinyurl.com/39lm2g

Cluttermagnet

Urmas-Very sorry to hear about your monitor woes. Is it indeed kaput? Concur with b2cm, sounds like inverter/ backlight.Here, I'm still running CRT monitors, 3 of the 17in. and 1 of 15in. size. The price was right- 2 were cheap, 2 were free. They seem to last near- forever. I have thrown away one very old 15in. (14in.?) CRT color monitor, so far, in my ~11 year desktop PC career. I got it old/ used/ cheap, anyway. It was old in '96 when I started with my used 486-66 and Win95 setup. :hysterical: Eric-You piqued my interest. I didn't know a TV could be interoperable with computers these days. I thought a monitor was a slightly different beast. Although I wouldn't be springing for HDTV just yet, does it make any sense, shopping at the low end, to buy a 'monitor' which is actually a TV with a tuner built in, then use it for both? BTW I have no real interest in having any sort of tuner card in any of my computers. I never bought or built any computers for the purpose of watching TV. For that, I have a number of dedicated analog sets scattered about the house. Leaving aside for the moment the issue of the rapidly coming analog to digital changeover among the TV broadcasters, does it make sense to buy a 'digital- ready' TV which can double as a monitor? What kind of price differential am I looking at? Does it makes sense to buy my first flat screen monitor as a dedicated monitor, as I envisioned, or does it make more sense to pay a litle more and have a 'monitor' that doubles as a dedicated (stand alone) TV?

Edited by Cluttermagnet

From the reviews I have been reading, HDTV monitors that also do computer duties perform very poorly on the PC side of the house. The resolution, refresh rate, and color balance is not where it needs to be for normal everyday use as a computer monitor. Now on the other hand, you can get a nice 24-27" PC monitor for under a grand and it will perform just fine for HD content.... that is what i am planning on doing.Adam

Cluttermagnet

Hmmm-Thanks, Adam. Thak kind of makes sense (I guess). Well, if I buy anything in a flat screen, it's likely going to be something 'rock bottom'. Something like a 17in. (or 15in.?) LCD monitor, probably 'off brand', about as cheap as I can find it, and hopefully with not too many pixels messed up. Something in black or gray, to match the Cluttermaster and my Dell 8300. Or maybe I could just take a black, permanent marker to one of my beige monitors...:whistling:The Dell refurbs come to mind. They take some off the cost, check them out pretty good, and I think there is still a guarantee. I definitely view such peripherals (and TV's) as throw aways. It's one area where I always prefer to shop the low end. :hysterical: But this is a low priority with me, as all my wonderful old CRT's work great. I think a higher priority for me would be to buy a single digital to analog tuner/ converter for TV, if and when finally forced to do so. I'd make that one tuner serve the entire household, and pipe its output around as necessary. No cable TV for me. I'll settle for whatever I can continue to pull off the soon to be digital airwaves. A smaller screen will do fine. Biggest screen TVs here are 20in. diagonal. I don't watch all that much anyway- "Vast Wasteland", etc. :thumbsup:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

V.T. Eric Layton

Adam answered your question, Clutter.However, "you get what you pay for" in electronics pretty much, so the low end "hi-def" tvs probably won't have the panel resolutions or refresh rates that an actual computer monitor would have. Going up a bit to the mid-to-high end hi-def tvs would provide you with more capabilities in that area, though. If you need a monitor for you computer, I'd just recommend buying a monitor. They're designed to be used with a computer. Most televisions are televisions first and foremost. The computer capabilities are just a convenience for customers.As far as the changeover from analog to digital broadcast transmissions in 2009 goes, if you're on cable or satellite, don't even worry about it. Your cable/sat box does all the work. Your old technology tv will still work fine. However, if you're like me and get your tv from the airwaves (outside antenna), then you'll need a newer tv (2006 or better) with an ATSC tuner that is capable of tuning and detecting digital signals.Have FUN! :)And by the way, that particular tv that I posted in the link above is capable of 1280X768@60Hz.Most tvs only have the capability of 60Hz vertical refresh rate because their internal vertical oscillator circuitry is designed primarily for television signal reproduction. All tv signals are 60Hz refresh rate.

I see one every week or 2 that has a bad invertor/backlight. Most are low end Dell LCD's but a few are HP LCD's. The lights are on but no one is home is the easiest way to describe it. Good way to tell is leave it off for a while then turn it on. Sometimes the logo will com on for a brief second. If it is too far gone and you have your PC on you might be able to see your desktop like Ross mentioned. I have also seen a few that act like they are on but the only cord plugged in is the vga signal cord. This is the very reason I will never own an LCD TV. I know how limited the life span of these tine but very much required for operation bulbs are. I still remember changing my first bulb back in '95 when I was at IBM doing POS touch screens. What a terrible place for such a fragile bulb.

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm with you, Fuzz. I'm perfectly happy with my 19" crt monitor. I might get an LCD when they get REAL cheap. I'll never buy a plasma... ever.

Cluttermagnet

Plasma TV's are real noisy electrically, though that's really only a problem to radiomen like myself (amateur radio). LCD's are more quiet in the RFI department (radio frequency interference) than plasmas.Yes, If I go flat screen, it will be just a low end LCD monitor; a cheap throwaway.Regarding TV programming, I am indeed affected by the coming conversion to digital. All the TV I bother with is received direct, over the airwaves. I have no interest in cable TV, satellite TV, etc. So I will have to buy one of the converters with the digital front end. I plan to keep all my analog TVs running a while longer. I figure it's cheaper that way. No real interest in buying any new model TV's, my old ones work just fine, thanks. B)

Edited by Cluttermagnet

I plan to keep all my analog TVs running a while longer. I figure it's cheaper that way. No real interest in buying any new model TV's, my old ones work just fine, thanks. :huh:
If all your TV's have SCARTs, you're cool... otherwise you have to pay attention to "TV-set-top box connectivity". Analog broadcasts are over here, by the way... it's digital only now.I haven't done anything to the :hmm: LCD yet... but I HATE CRT monitors; my poor eyes... flicker is causing me headache @75Hz... 80 or 85 is a bit better, but the picture is still "alive"... I've grown accustomed to LCD... period. B)

Cluttermagnet
I've grown accustomed to LCD... period. ;)
I've been impressed with LCD monitors in general. Real nice, vibrant color rendering, real good contrast on most. By all means, get yourself another cheapie LCD. I really do think they should be treated like throwaways, though- meaning spend less so you cry less when you toss them out broken.
If all your TV's have SCARTs, you're cool... otherwise you have to pay attention to "TV-set-top box connectivity". Analog broadcasts are over here, by the way... it's digital only now.
Is a SCART what Eric describes as an
ATSC tuner that is capable of tuning and detecting digital signals.
?? If so, I don't have one. My newest TV is about a 2002 model. I think everything I have has analog front ends. I will have to buy at least 1 digital to analog converter box, so far as I understand. B) No, I do not mean a 'converter box' in the sense of what cable TV companys provide you. I mean a yet to be released product for people who do not subscribe to cable TV- people who receive only over the air signals. The 'channelization' is all different than a cable TV converter box. The channelization is set up LoVHF/ Hi VHF/ UHF, just as the over air radio broadcast spectrum is actually utilized, band gaps and all- not all jumbled and mashed together in frequency as in a cable converter box. Edited by Cluttermagnet

I really do think they should be treated like throwaways, though- meaning spend less so you cry less when you toss them out broken.
I guess... what I don't like is the fact that all new monitors tend to be wide-screen; I have nothing against getting more "horizontal pixels"... it's just that the "prices-from-wide-screen-resolution" is 1440x900, and I'm used to 1280x1024. And 1680×1050 costs quite a bit more. B)
Is a SCART what...
:) >_< >_< Fuggedabout it, Clutter... it's an "old continent thingy", it seems:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCARTI'm sure Eric (et al) know the "Norteamericano Connector Scene". ;) EDIT: Clutter, check out these pages:http://www.digitv.fi/default.asp?path=9Gives you an "overall picture". :)

Cluttermagnet
I guess... what I don't like is the fact that all new monitors tend to be wide-screen; I have nothing against getting more "horizontal pixels"... it's just that the "prices-from-wide-screen-resolution" is 1440x900, and I'm used to 1280x1024. And 1680×1050 costs quite a bit more. B) :) >_< >_< Fuggedabout it, Clutter... it's an "old continent thingy", it seems:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCARTI'm sure Eric (et al) know the "Norteamericano Connector Scene". ;)
Right- we see big differences like PAL vs. NTSC encoding schemes, etc. So Euro TV's do not play in America, or vice versa, etc. Anyway, I have to spring for the converter box. I will. I'm not going to give up TV completely- just trying to keep the hours way down. The 'one eyed monster' has stolen sooooo many hours from me during my lifetime. At least now the 'monster' is a computer monitor, and I can talk back and interact with the world, not just sit as a 'couch potato' and take it all in passively. Hey, that's what I always liked about the amateur radio hobby, it made me a communicator, a participant. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
EDIT: Clutter, check out these pages:http://www.digitv.fi/default.asp?path=9Gives you an "overall picture". ;)
Yep, that's it.
The consumer can either choose a set top box that can be connected to an analogue television or a so-called integrated television receiver that incorporates the special properties of digital television.
Exactly the same deal here. And I'm going for the set top converter box option.

V.T. Eric Layton
HERE's a good link with info about the upcoming changes to broadcast transmission standards in 2009, Clutter.By the way, I'm like you. I get my TV off the antenna outside my home. My old TVs are going to be kaput in 2009. I wish I could think of a way to make a buck off the older (pre-2006) TVs because come 2009 there will be a pooper load of them in the garbage dumps around the U.S.

I have had good luck with using my lcd hdtv as a monitor as well. Sometimes it will get distortion lines across it when used as a monitor but a power cycle fixes it. I could have found one much cheaper, and had a larger screen, but I am very happy with this 23"Toshiba. VISIO makes the best bang for your buck out there, and experts say they will be making screens for a lot of the big names in the future.

Clutter, be sure that you sign up for a free coupon.

To help consumers with the DTV transition, the Government established the Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Coupon Program. The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), a part of the Department of Commerce, administers this program. Every U.S. household is eligible to receive up to two coupons, worth $40 each, toward the purchase of eligible digital-to-analog converter boxes. You will be able to request the coupons beginning in January of 2008. The coupons may only be used for eligible converter boxes sold at participating consumer electronics retailers, and the coupons must be used at the time of purchase.
If you don't like the prices you see for eligible converter boxes at participating consumer electronics retailers don't use the coupon. Buy it elsewhere cheaper. Edited by zlim

Cluttermagnet

Thanks guys. Some great info that will help me.I'll get the coupons and see if it actually helps or not. In time, those converter boxes will get real cheap. At first, I expect they will try to get more money for them. My answer? It's highly likely you can run more than one analog set from the output of a single converter box.Analog TV's are certainly not going to become totally useless, though it might seem so without the converters. Actually, we're looking at a new, low end market niche, namely for the converters themselves. They should sell well, for some time to come, and prices will drop fast. People who think that analog TV's should immediately be taken to the land fill are nuts! Those TV's will be perfectly good for many years to come, behind a converter box. It all depends on where you draw the line with digital and HDTV performance levels. If you absolutely have to have the clearest picture ever, so you can see the protagonist's 5 o'clock shadow and skin imperfections, then more power to you. Go get that big screen beauty and all the other lovely hardware.Another market niche is going to be a pretty brisk traffic in NOS (new old stock), vintage, analog sets- at fire sale prices. I figure a lot of folks will want to upgrade while staying with cheaper analog hardware, if the price is right. It might also morph into an interesting used set market as well. I mean, a really, really big market. Our landfills cannot possibly hold all that's out there right now, most of which will be obsolete literally overnight in Feb '09. I suppose it all depends on how much industry has 'overbuilt' with the analog set production runs, as well. Stand by for some interesting times, regardless. Clutter will stay with the older hardware. I have no interest in 'high fidelity video'. I want to watch a little news and weather, and a few high quality, PBS type pieces on occasion; I'm not into a steady diet of 'movies'. You guys go ahead. Get your fancy HDTV gear. I'm sticking with my crappy old analog stuff, and I'm going to be loving the incredible buys in that obsolete gear I'll be snapping up from time to time. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

You know, Clutter... that's about all I watch on TV. I watch the 11PM news, then the TV goes back to PBS stations, mostly. I have two here in the Tampa area. I'm getting ready to watch Charlie Rose, as I type this. :)

What percentage of the US doesn't have cable television? I've no idea but I do know that our analog sets will be fine on cable.

Cable and satellite TV subscribers with analog TVs hooked up to their cable or satellite service should not be affected by the February 17, 2009 cut-off date for full-power analog broadcasting.
So fewer people may be affected by this.I've also heard, I don't know how true it is, that digital signals don't travel as well as analog so if you rely on an antennae and don't live that close to the signals, you may not pick up the digital signal. Some people may have no other choice to get cable if they want to watch something that they can no longer pick up. Edited by zlim

Just going to add that all my monitors except my Sony Wega TV are LCD's. One Samsung, one Acer and 2 HP's.For TV Plasma is where I want to be in a few years. a 42 or 47" 1080p. Or something based on DLP but I am conscious of the space since my house is not that big to dedicate a lot of room to a really large TV. I'll switch my Dish Top200 to the Dish HD when the time comes.

V.T. Eric Layton

You are correct, Liz. The higher frequency digital transmissions do not travel as far as the lower frequency analog transmissions. What's worse, they are severely affected by buildings, mountains, trees, etc. It should be an interesting transition.My cynical guess is that the cable/sat companies lobbied Congress with all they had to get this passed. The Gov thought it was a good idea, too. They were able to auction off the old TV bands in the frequency spectrum for MILLIONS of dollars. Everyone wins... except the little guy, as usual.