Ubuntu installation

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Well, after installing the very beautiful Kubuntu from the LiveCD and seeing that the program list was pretty sparce yet, at Adam's suggestion, I installed Ubuntu from the LiveCD and it certainly is a much better equipped distro as far as the number of programs is concerned.There are still some things I want to install from the KDE side of things, and I may be moving to KDE if I can't figure out how to get my transparency for the task bar, but I have customized it to have the look I want for the most part.Very similar in fact to my FC5 desktop on my other computer sans the transparency....which I really don't want to do without so let's see how that all goes.I am very happy with just about everything I see and both the Ubuntu and Kubuntu teams are to be greatly commended! :thumbsup:It found all my hardware including a wireless card which is generally disabled and actually used that as the default connection since it was the only DHCP that was correctly setup from the getgo. I have since disabled that and one of the other of the two onboard Gigabit ethernet cards, which it found correctly and installed.It found and accurately got my video card at a resolution that is amazing for it's clarity. Course I will very likely have to move down to at least 1024x768 if that res works as well as this one.All in all, like FC5, I have to give Ubuntu/Kubuntu a 10 out of 10 stars on the way easy installation and detection!I love that Ubuntu has Firefox 2.0 from the getgo! Been busy installing my default extensions which are all working well.Very happy with it all!Will try to get a screenshot (easy to get but my ftp client is not set up as yet with all my settings), but to tell you the truth, it's almost the same as the screenshot of my KDE in FC5 except for the lack of transparency.:thumbsup: Way to go Ubuntu/Kubuntu teams!

Guest LilBambi

BTW: This was on the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ on MSI Neo2 MB, ATI Radeon 9800 KX and built in sound, etc. that I was talking about having FC5 on that was working great too when we were in Michigan.I had to wipe that when I went back to Win2K since Windows is so "I'm the only OS" and refuses to install if it's not on the first partition from the installation CD.

All in all, like FC5, I have to give Ubuntu/Kubuntu a 10 out of 10 stars on the way easy installation and detection!I love that Ubuntu has Firefox 2.0 from the getgo! Been busy installing my default extensions which are all working well.Very happy with it all!
:thumbsup: Great Fran . . . glad you like it ! B) :( Bruno

Guest LilBambi

I had checked the panel earlier, but missed the dimmed area under solid color (thinking I knew I didn't want a solid color) LOL!That's where it was! As soon as I clicked solid color, there's the level of transparency and now I have it just like I like it!Really like the look of Ubuntu now! :o

Guest LilBambi

Oh, yeah! Still haven't found where the transparency for the applications, places and system menu is located ... still looking.Maybe Adam can pass along that tidbit too ... so I don't have to keep searching LOLBTW: i have all my monitors in the panel as well; CPU, Memory, Network, HD, Load as well XKill, Run as app as another user, Desktops, Trash, clock, task area, clock, mixer, shutdown button, and of course the menu and quick links to apps and moving the top bar to the bottom and removing old bottom panel and adding all the stuff I wanted to the panel that's now at the bottom and customizing the new bottom bar with transparency and little more height.

:w00t: :devil: :bangin: That's me... thick as a brick. :hmm: Adam is right, of course... however, if you want to run applications "transparently" :hysterical: ... then you have to install extra stuff.kickmepranklgnwmiy8.gif

Guest LilBambi
;) good one réjean.Fran, you might post a screenshot, they're getting curious. B) (and me too)
OK, remember you all asked for it LOL! :ph34r:The full desktop picture is about a MB because of the size of the desktop. They are both in .png format. ;)Here's a large thumbnail linked to the full image:Ubuntu_transparent_Gnome_sm.pngI told you it was basically the same as my other desktop in Fedora Core 5. :lol:Can you tell I love that background and the colors green and black? :whistling:As far as menu transparency, I guess I will have to try going 100% and see if the menus are transparent then. They are not at the level where I have it now.NOTE: I have changed the larger picture to my Flickr account. Flickr apparently maxes out at 1024x768 there but the actual size is 1600x1200.

Thanks for the screenshots Fran. You know, I hope, that I was just teasing you. As far as the lady bugs are concerned, Eric, however cute they are the majority are quite welcome in our gardens, others we wish they will never migrate near the house like the Japanese lady bugs.

Love the ladybug background. We have been over run with ladybugs or maybe the Japanese lady bug, no idea how to tell the difference. But the last couple years they are everywhere and we shoo them out of the house by the dozen.I didn't realize gnome even had transparency gonna have to play with that some.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks! It is great that Gnome has transparency like KDE has. Glad you all liked my new Ubuntu look. :)Especially nice since I use mainly Gnome apps, but generally in the past only liked KDE GUI because Gnome always appeared so simplistic and childlike in appearance.I think I found out that Gnome can pretty much look as flashy as KDE if you play around with it.réjean, yes, I did know you were teasing and I took it all in fun from you all.Where would we be without a sense of humour/humor? :thumbsup:Ladybugs are everywhere to be sure. I think they have seeded them in our area on purpose (farm country), but they always look to get into the house and the corners of the house to sleep the winter away. The ones we have don't bite like some varieties are purported to do, so we don't worry about them.

V.T. Eric Layton

The only plant life I have in my yard are bahia grass (mostly weeds), 8 oaks, a sweetgum, two palmetto bushes, a dozen or so ligustrum, and a dozen crotons. You'd have to use gas and fire to harm any of them. ;)

The only plant life I have in my yard are bahia grass (mostly weeds), 8 oaks, a sweetgum, two palmetto bushes, a dozen or so ligustrum, and a dozen crotons. You'd have to use gas and fire to harm any of them. B)
;) armored plants !The screenshot looks very good Fran ! :o

The screenshot looks very good Fran ! ;)
Yup... very nice!I've been playing with XFCE lately (I'm using a 733MHz PIII with 384MB RAM - I sure can feel the difference in speed); feels very easy and "natural" to a gnomehead like me. A bit less eye-candy (fuggedabout transparency etc.), but it's surprisingly full-featured. Just install "xubuntu-desktop" if you want to give it a try in your Ubuntu.screenshot4ii6.th.gifscreenshot2cs6.th.gif

Thanks! I like Cézanne but my great love is Monet. :P
Claude Monet . . . and the famous water lilies . . . . . he painted hundreds of them from his garden in every season . . . Love it !Years ago I took my daughters to the museum just to see those . . . . explaining them about the impressionists and showing them the real master he was.The paintings: http://www.kahlil.org/monet6.htmlThe garden: http://www.fondation-monet.com/uk/jardin_eau/index.html:) Bruno

Simply beautiful!I was fortunate enough to see a collection of Monet's work in Montreal, including several from his Water Lilies and Haystacks series, when I was a teen and fell in love with impressionism. But my all time favourite is Woman With Parasol. I have a print of it in my bathroom. What better place is there for someone to relax and appreciate it?LOL

But my all time favourite is Woman With Parasol. I have a print of it in my bathroom. What better place is there for someone to relax and appreciate it?LOL
Attagirl! :) We are a "summer cabin nation"... outhouses are the coolest art galleries!Call me weird (yeah... just like everybody else does :P ), but my favourite Monet is "Boulevard des Capucines":capucinesju5.th.gifAnd then there is "the other M"... "Banc" or "Le Chemin de Fer"... yummy!http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/manet/ :D

Ooops, that should've read had, not have in my bathroom. :thumbsup: I have a warped sense of humour that some people just don't seem to appreciate. It's nice to meet a kindred spirit. :hmm: Yes, I like the other M too.