Can't read media in CD-ROM or floppy drives

rpiz

I just noticed that I cannot read information from a CD in the CD-rom norinformation on a floppy. I have no idea what happened that would have causedthis problem. Did something get turned off or blocked by mistake?Appreciate the help. ;)

Hi Peachy;I failed to mention that I had already checked all the cables and everything issecure. The drive indicator lights work on boot-up; but if I place a floppy orCD in the appropriate drive it gives me a 'not accessible' error? Perhapsyou can give me the next set of rules to look into and I will set about tryingto find a solution.Tnx

Hi Liz and Peachy;Liz.. I do not have Norton installed. I understand that others have hadtrouble with Norton in the pastPeachy... I selected media that I know worked in the past and readproperly. Could this be a plug-and-play bios setting issue?? I reallydon't know what could have caused this problem?

There have been many reports of floppy drives gone missing in Windows XP. It's happened to me. I have removed the controller drive in device manager, shutdown and removed the ribbon cable, and rebooted. Shutdown and reboot again and viola, it's back. ;) Another mystery is on Dell systems using Roxio CD creator 5 software and upgrading to Windows XP SP2. The CD-Rom disappears. This can be patched and Roxio has updated software. ;) Hope this helps. :hmm:

Edited by Rons

Hi Rons;Thanks for the response. I tried you suggestion but that didn't do the trick.In addition to the floppy and the CD-ROM, I also get nothing when I placea cd or DVD in the DVD RW drive (Not even a message indicating 'noaccessibility'? Strange indeed.

Guest LilBambi

Might want to try the CD_Restore.regHere's the code to put in the CD_Restore.reg:

REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]"UpperFilters"=-"LowerFilters"=-[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

Or you can download it by right-clicking on the reg file:http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/cd_restore.reg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi LilBambi;I am sorry for the delayed answer, but the '.reg' approach did not work.I tried deleting the drivers for both the cd-rom and DVD drives and thenrebooted, but that didn't help.I placed the Windwos XP cd in the cd-rom, booted and then entered 'Repair'then at the prompt entered 'chkdsk /r'; but no problems noted nor errors.I tried to run '(SFC) system file checker' but when asked to place theoriginal Windows XP cd in the cd-rom drive I received the message that,'wrong cd place proper cd in drive'?I ran numerous anti-virus, ant-tojan, and malware software and ran'Hijack this' to remove suspicious items on my system. Took a look at 'System Restore' to determine how far back in goes;but it only went back to 8-21-05, which would not provide any benefit.I even removed the 'Secondary IDE driver' and rebooted to have itreinstall; but no joy. Incidentally my cd-rom and DVD are on thesecondary IDE for my system.I have two hard drives that are managed by a Romtec Trios switcher.The first hard drive has Windows XP and the second has Linux. I chosethis method rather than dual boot between operating systems. I checkedthe Romtec to verify that it wasn't presenting a conflict to my system andit is working fine. I took the second drive and the Romtec Trios switcherout of play and the main hard drive worked fine.Everything works just fine on my system except for the issue with Floppy(A:\not accessible), cd-rom (D:\not accessible), and DVD (nothing happenswhen I click on the icon)?I look on the net for hours and days for information that may be usefulregarding this problem; others have had similar issues but not real solutions. I am hoping with the extensive explanation above that enough peoplewill take a look and perhaps know of a solution or can suggest a legitimatechange that would help. Someone, somewhere must have run intothis issue in the past? The problem seems isolated enough but I cannotidentify where to look beyond what I have done.I appreciate your help. :)

I'll work on the floppy end of it. Go into the BIOS and make sure that drive A is enabled and set for 3 1/2 inch, 1.44 MB. Boot up and then look to see if there is any sort of problem in the device manager section.Does the light on the floppy come on?Also run Belarc http://www.belarc.com/free_download.htmlto see what model of floppy drive. Maybe the controller is missing and needs to be reinstalled.

Edited by zlim

Hi Liz;Checked the BIOS and it apprears properly, and I already removed the controller and rebooted but no change. Device manager shows the floppy and cd-rom drivesproperly; but I did the removal and reboot with no change.Regarding Belarc, I had that software installed for sometime and checked there alsobut it reports the floppy as 'Standard floppy', with no issues.Incidentally, since my last post I was able to run the 'repair' function for Windows XPand after rebooting I clicked on the floppy and cd-rom icons in Power Desk 6 (similiarto Windows Explorer); but no change? Interestingly enough before I did the repairI did a backup of my data using my DVD drive and it worked fine. Yet if I click onthe DVD icon in Power desk it does nothing? After numerous checks, this doesn'tappear to be a hardware issue but perhaps software or a setting someplace?Of course that is just my observation I really don't know? I can state that this issue has been quite a journey. I appreciate you help Liz, andwill continue to accept anyones help to resolve this issue. This is so strange thatsomeones experience with the same problem hasn't surfaced in the many placesthat I have placed this question?Tnx :D

Hi Patio;Yes I do have Nero installed and I heard about 'INCD', so I made sure that itwas not installed also. I don't know if anything else with Nero would be aproblem.Liz... thanks for the site regarding floppies. I will surely will take a look at that one. Strange problem, I took a look at so many things; and the systemworks great outside of the floppy and cd-rom (not accessible) issue. I amtrying to avoid doing the drastic measure of reformatting etc because thatwould be extensive headaches.I appreciate the help.Tnx :)

Also travel to bootdisk.com and grab a WinME bootdisk. Create it on another machine and try to boot with it using the "boot with CD-ROM support...does this change anything ? ?patio. :)

• 9 months later...
Guest LilBambi

You don't have a Sony camera do you?If so, is there a brownish in the system tray?A friend had a Sony camera and when he installed the Sony software it installed some goofy thing that prevented anything from working on removable drives until you closed that brownish icon.We just removed it from the Start Up folder on the Start menu and he had access to his removables again.Hope this helps...

webster72n
Hi Patio;Yes I do have Nero installed and I heard about 'INCD', so I made sure that itwas not installed also. I don't know if anything else with Nero would be aproblem.Liz... thanks for the site regarding floppies. I will surely will take a look at that one. Strange problem, I took a look at so many things; and the systemworks great outside of the floppy and cd-rom (not accessible) issue. I amtrying to avoid doing the drastic measure of reformatting etc because thatwould be extensive headaches.I appreciate the help.Tnx :o
Hello rpiz:Happen to have exactly the same problem with my "removables", but in WinME.Did you ever find a solution for your's?Hopefully you read this post and will be able to answer it.I am desperate.webster72n. :angry:

How old is the motherboard?No one has mentioned checking to see if other known working hardware will work in place of the current non-functioning hardware. I have personally seen many MBs loose things like floppy drives and IDE channels. Caps dry out and individual IO components fail.Are the DVD and the CD drives on the same IDE channel?

webster72n, does the floppy work in safe mode? Since you are using Me have you tried going back to a restore point to see if the floppy worked earlier?

How old is the motherboard?No one has mentioned checking to see if other known working hardware will work in place of the current non-functioning hardware. I have personally seen many MBs loose things like floppy drives and IDE channels. Caps dry out and individual IO components fail.Are the DVD and the CD drives on the same IDE channel?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, was too busy with other chores.Only have a CD-ROM drive, the Floppy (A:) and an Iomega Zip drive. They work in DOS mode, meaning the hardware is ok. I tried removing the zip drive, but then I get an error message in my BIOS, saying that the primary harddrive fails and the booting process is stopped. After reattaching the zip drive things are back to "normal", but PM8 partition info records an "ErrorMsgBox" with not other data listed. Yet Fdisk shows everything to be in order, as well as Device Manager in System Properties with all devices "working properly". I tried a "scanreg \fix, but to no avail. SR is also useless in this instance, because it restarted after the problem occurred and I lost all relevant restore points, why, I don't know.All indications are that I will have to use drastic measures, to restore full function of the removable drives.Appreciate your input, thanks.webster72n.

What is "Power Desk"? First thing I'd do would be to uninstall it and see if the drives work again. :thumbsup:
Don't have no Power Desk, only "PowerQuest Partiton Magic 8".At one point I used the built-in feature for my 80GB WD hard drive, to partition an "unallocated" portionof the drive, when it offered me the option to do so. After that partition magic had an error in its information data, as I stated in an earlier reply. Don't see where deleting or uninstalling PM8 would help.webster72n.

If it works in DOS then something loading with windows is affecting the floppy drive.1. Do ctrl+alt+del and write down all the running processes.2. You are going to kill off several at a time (DO NOT kill Explorer and systray). I'd start at the top of the list and end the first three items. Close the window and see if you can use the floppy drive. If so, the culprit is one of the three items you've killed off. If the floppy drive doesn't work, kill the next three and do the same thing. Close the window and see if you can use the floppy drive. Keep repeating until, hopefully at some point in time, the floppy drive works.3. Reboot but this time focus on the group of three programs that allowed the floppy to work. Kill one of the three and test the drive. If it works, you've find the program. If it doesn't work, try the next one.When you eventually discover what is preventing the floppy from working - post the name of the process so we can figure out what program it is associated with and then maybe fix that program.

I would have thought the information could be useful to anyone with a similar problem. :)It's one of those frustrating things to happen and to keep happening once hardware failure has been ruled out.

another post back from the dead! :thumbsup: :hysterical: also, try stopping and restarting the "removable storage" service.(r click my computer, manage, services. r click "removable storage", stop; r click again, start. Ensure it's set to automatic: r click "removable storage" properties, choose automatic.)
Doesn't sound like WinME to me, more like WinXP. :hysterical: webster72n. Edited by webster72n