Going back to 1.0.7

Grasshopper

FF 1.5 has gotten mixed reviews and I've had some problems with it, so I'm gonna revert back to 1.0.7...it wasn't broke so I shouldn't have fixed it. Security updates aside, I will be better off with the older version, until they get some things ironed out. (This update was almost Microsoftish... :D ) And please, no bickering about going back to the older version... :w00t: Now, I don't mind reinstalling my extensions from scratch, in fact I want to in order to have that clean slate feeling, BUT, I would like to keep my bookmarks, history and cookies with all my passwords to forum websites and other password protected sites that were saved in my FF. I know where to find my bookmarks.Is there a way that I can save just those other items and transfer them to my clean install of 1.0.7? Running Windows XP.

What problems were you having with Firfox 1.5? FWIW there is an extension that is called Bookmark Backup 3.3 that saves your history,forms,passwords and of course bookmarks.

I may look into that extension.Well, I've read that you, Gary, haven't had any problems, but I have. And they are pretty consistent with some of the things you may have read. Extension compatibility upon upgrade was the worst, by far, I've seen in any version since I jumped on the wagon at about version 0.3. I know it was a big leap but I don't have time to go chasing some of these things down, and like I said, it wasn't broke, so I shouldn't have fixed it. Also, I've noticed the memory issue on my machine, although it's not as bad as some have reported. I've also had a few crashes and just some other general quirks that I didn't like or couldn't find fixes for. Don't get me wrong. I'm sold on FF. I only use IE when I have to and I've never tried Opera (although I may give it a whirl for S&G's). But I'll wait with 1.0.7 'til the team gets 1.5 a bit more polished and the extension makers catch up.

I may look into that extension.Well, I've read that you, Gary, haven't had any problems, but I have. And they are pretty consistent with some of the things you may have read. Extension compatibility upon upgrade was the worst, by far, I've seen in any version since I jumped on the wagon at about version 0.3. I know it was a big leap but I don't have time to go chasing some of these things down, and like I said, it wasn't broke, so I shouldn't have fixed it. Also, I've noticed the memory issue on my machine, although it's not as bad as some have reported. I've also had a few crashes and just some other general quirks that I didn't like or couldn't find fixes for. Don't get me wrong. I'm sold on FF. I only use IE when I have to and I've never tried Opera (although I may give it a whirl for S&G's). But I'll wait with 1.0.7 'til the team gets 1.5 a bit more polished and the extension makers catch up.
Extensions that are NOT compaitble can cause problems. Wait untill the next upgrade , it will be in about 4-6 weeks. Then just install the extensions that you really need. I like to tinker with them. I install and remove extensions all of the time. I probably only really need about 5 of them. Some extensions will also eat up memory. I have 1 gig so That is not a real issue for me. Good luck. I also have fooled around with a Browser called Flock-a Firefox clone-sort of.

I was actually thinkin' too of going back to good old 1.0.7 .I had initially trouble setting up 1.5, then the extensions saga and yesterday a full hickup of the 1.5. :D And to me personally it just don't feels like the 1.0.7 , dunno what exactly it is but something in there is acting like sanding paper. BTW : the "Clear Private Data", well I have my doubts it works : after using this option this data is all over the place, so - at least in the Opera browser it really works. :hysterical:

I could not even get 1.5 to install. The process crashes and pops up a message about not being able to do anything with en-US and then just hangs.
Here is how to easily install a new browser.1. Always make sure it installs in a New folder.2. If installing an updated version, open Windows Explorer & find the current version folder ( example > Windows Explorer > Program Files > Mozilla Firefox )Rename that folder ( yellow ) by right clicking on it, to > Mozilla Firefoxold ( ignore the warning message )Now install the new version, nothing else needs to be done.Don't like the new version, right click on the folder Mozilla Firefox & Delete. Go to Mozilla Firefoxold & rename to Mozilla Firefox.One proviso to my info, if you have a bad install or it is not behaving as it should, before you install a new version, uninstall the old version via the uninstaller & make sure all remnants( via Search, Find & your registry cleaners ) are gone.===============================================Nightly Tester Toolshttp://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links....page=60&cat=012http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/f...id/nightly.htmlThis extension adds a few extras useful to those that regularly testnightly builds of Firefox, Thunderbird and the Application Suite.This extension now works on branch builds of Firefox and Thunderbird.Features: * Allows you to install incompatible extensions (experimental). * Allows you to force the application to believe an extension iscompatible with the current version and enable it. (Only works onrecent builds of Firefox and Thunderbird, branch and trunk since20/08/2005). * Adds a menu item to let you to copy the build identifier to theclipboard. * Adds a menu item to let you insert the build identifier into thecurrent text box. * Adds a toolbar button to let you insert the build identifier intothe current text box (Not supported in the Application Suite). * Provides an easy way to launch talkback. * Lets you customise the title bar to include the build identifierand other information.

And to me personally it just don't feels like the 1.0.7 , dunno what exactly it is but something in there is acting like sanding paper.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I too downloaded and installed Firefox 1.5 and quickly decided to return to 1.0.7.In part, my decision was influenced by the extension situation. I had ten extensionsinstalled, and FF 1.5 claimed that only three of them could be upgraded: Dom Inspector(which I haven't used much), IE View, and OperaView. The others: Powermarks, ChromEdit, ContentSaver, ColorZilla, Paste and Go, Cookie Culler, and TinyUrl Creator.I knew that I could get a 1.5 extension for ContentSaver, and I've just learned that there's aPowermarks beta for 1.5, but I don't want to give up ANY of the others. (I've also put backAdBlock and Flashblock, and I understand that some people are having trouble with AdBlockon 1.5.) So...for now, I'm sticking with 1.0.7, which works really well and works with all my extensions.

Hmmmm.........sorry to hear of the problems so many are having wih the latest FF release. Gary and I must be blessed or something. B) It's been working fine for me on 3 machines. Knock on wood! :o

I too downloaded and installed Firefox 1.5 and quickly decided to return to 1.0.7.In part, my decision was influenced by the extension situation. I had ten extensionsinstalled, and FF 1.5 claimed that only three of them could be upgraded: Dom Inspector(which I haven't used much), IE View, and OperaView. The others: Powermarks, ChromEdit, ContentSaver, ColorZilla, Paste and Go, Cookie Culler, and TinyUrl Creator.I knew that I could get a 1.5 extension for ContentSaver, and I've just learned that there's aPowermarks beta for 1.5, but I don't want to give up ANY of the others. (I've also put backAdBlock and Flashblock, and I understand that some people are having trouble with AdBlockon 1.5.) So...for now, I'm sticking with 1.0.7, which works really well and works with all my extensions.
No problem here with ColorZilla and Adblock Plus on 1.5

cybernut, I am using Cookie Culler on 1.5. (I did download a fresh copy).Before I installed 1.5, I removed all my themes and extensions so I wouldn't have a major slowdown while everything checked for updates and them informs me that things don't work.I have 1.5 installed on 98SE, ME and 2K and haven't noticed problems. Of course, I use only 1 theme,Walnut and I have about 9 extensions installed. My main computer also has 1 gig of RAM. I'll spend more time on the "leaner" computers to see if I notice problems.

I just counted and saw that I have 19 extensions plus 6 disabled because they are not compatible with FF 1.5. I have been using it something like 3 hours a day ( it is on my wife's Win XP machine which I use mostly late in the evening ) and I haven't had a problem yet. There has not been a site that I couldn't reach and I am sure it is just a matter of time before all the extensions can work. I too feel sorry for those having problems. Just wanted to let you know that it does work for some of us. I did install on top of itself btw and they say that from now on we won't have to download a new version and reinstall anymore, just upgrade.Good luck everyone. Love you all!

Edited by réjean

Sigh...After a week of abrupt program terminations, I had to give up on 1.5 and go back to 1.0.7 also. It took a little time, but I was able to restore most of what I wanted. I'm happy to again have Spoofstick, which had no 1.5 version.As noted here, it may have been an extension causing the problem, but I like my extensions.

Sigh...After a week of abrupt program terminations, I had to give up on 1.5 and go back to 1.0.7 also. It took a little time, but I was able to restore most of what I wanted. I'm happy to again have Spoofstick, which had no 1.5 version.As noted here, it may have been an extension causing the problem, but I like my extensions.
I have 32 extensions and they all are compatible. There is another extension that performs the same functions as spoofstick. Mozilla is not to blame if the coder of an extension does not update it. What programs were terminating on you?

I have 32 extensions and they all are compatible. There is another extension that performs the same functions as spoofstick. Mozilla is not to blame if the coder of an extension does not update it. What programs were terminating on you?
I agree that Mozilla is not to blame. There was no blame intended. But since you are using 32 extensions, you must agree that there is functionality you are lacking in the base product that you want. I also want some extensions and if they cause problems under 1.5 and not under 1.0.7, then 1.0.7 it has to be for a while.

Extensions i don't believe have anything to do with base functionality...extensions are a customisation of what you want to do with the browser.I run a clean ver. of portable FFox on my thumb drive and i don't find it lacking at all.

I'm probably one of a handful of people that refuses to have a gmail account. I also don't install any google toolbars and my google cookies as to my preferences are deleted when I start FF fresh each time. Call me paranoid but I don't want google to have a profile on my surfing and email habits.

I'm probably one of a handful of people that refuses to have a gmail account.
I use mine for junk emails and signing up for anything that requires a valid email address. That's it :D . And I don't use the Google toolbar or desktop search.

I'm probably one of a handful of people that refuses to have a gmail account. I also don't install any google toolbars and my google cookies as to my preferences are deleted when I start FF fresh each time. Call me paranoid but I don't want google to have a profile on my surfing and email habits.
I don't have one either, don't want one. :) Hey Liz : "you paranoid ?" Let's shake hands, here's another one from planet paranoid. Welcome! :D

Google is one of the only companies, especially online, that I trust.Their privacy policy says that they do share information in a limited capacity,

We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (:thumbsup: enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, © detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Not "to sell your email address to make a quick buck". Also, aggregated non-personal information can be shared with other people--nothing personally identifiable. I find that to be completely acceptable, considering the number of great products and services google provides.Just look at their software principles, for one thing:
We believe software should not trick you into installing it.When an application is installed or enabled, it should inform you of its principal and significant functions.It should be easy for you to figure out how to disable or delete an application.Applications that affect or change your user experience should make clear they are the reason for those changes.If an application collects or transmits your personal information such as your address, you should know. Application providers should not allow their products to be bundled with applications that do not meet these guidelines.
Those are just the first sentence of each section.The Google "informal motto" is, "Don't be evil."So far, I haven't seen any reason to not believe them--they're up front about what they collect, and what they do with it.

"Don't be evil eh!"

For Microsoft, Google's last minute deal with America Online (AOL) owner Time Warner was like a knife through the corporate heart, ending the software giant's bid to dramatically improve the standing of its embattled online search unit. But for Google, the recently revealed deal might have deeper consequences. Ignoring its "don't be evil" corporate mantra, Google has forsaken its pledge never to let its search pages be subsumed by corporate interests. In striking out against a would-be competitor, Google has simply revealed itself to be as flawed as any other money-making entity.Here's what happened. In recent months, Time Warner has sought suitors for its once-troubled AOL unit, hoping at first to find a company that would be interested in purchasing all of part of AOL. When that didn't pan out, Time Warner turned to AOL's ad-supported search service, which was previously powered by Google technology. Earlier this month, The Wall Street Journal reported that Time Warner was set to finalize a deal with Microsoft that would see the software giant's MSN Search technology take over for Google Search at AOL, with the two companies splitting ad revenues.However, Google swept in with a last minute offer that scuttled Microsoft's plans. Google will pay Time Warner $1 billion for a 5 percent stake in AOL, and will keep the AOL search business as a result. The deal, which was done solely to hurt Microsoft, will not financially benefit Google in any perceptible way. But as part of the deal, Google will do that one thing they've always promised not to do: It will present AOL-sponsored search results on its main search results page, complete with the AOL logo. That's right, folks. Google has sold out. And it did so to harm a competitor that has less than one third its marketshare.There are two key take-aways here, from what I can see. First, Google is not the trustworthy corporate giant that some people imagine, though the company's track record, including its close work with the totalitarian government in China, should have made that clear already. Second, Google considers Microsoft a huge threat, despite the fact that the Redmond company has yet to make any serious inroads with Internet search.
Paul ThurrottNot only does Google sell out but Carl Ichan believes the deal to be harmful to Time Warner.
Billionaire Time Warner shareholder Carl Icahn, who controls 3 percent of Time Warner shares--some owned directly and some controlled indirectly through a fund--and has been organizing a proxy battle for control of the company, wants to split AOL off. He warned the Time Warner board on Monday against making a "disastrous" and "short-sighted" deal with Google that would preclude a merger or other transaction between AOL and some other company.
c|net Edited by Marsden11

Doesn't change anything for their privacy rights - it's only dealing with the search engine

Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt said: "Today's agreement leverages technologies from both companies to connect Google users worldwide to a wealth of new content. We've also created a simple way for AOL Marketplace advertisers to buy and place search-related advertising across the AOL network. This partnership is an important next step for our companies."Several analysts gave the deal a thumbs up, especially for Google.
Edited by havnblast