memory problems

thesarge

There's something wrong with your computer. Check for malware. Better yet wipe your disk and reinstall Windows after backing up your data files.In any case, browse to where you installed the program and double-click on the program executable.I checked the link I gave, and the download is for DGT.EXE. WinDriversBackup was renamed Driver Guide Toolkit, after it was acquired by Driverguide.com. But it still is the same program with the same interface.First you click "Identify All Drivers", and after the scan tick "Select All" and then click the "Backup Drivers" button. By default, the program stores the backup in C:\My Drivers. Copy the whole folder to a CDR/RW.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thesarge

• zlim

• b2cm

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

This second link is entirely different from what was sent the first time. This one I see a listing of the drivers. Like I said I only saw those three options when I installed the other link.Are you saying to click on the winme exe and reinstall the windows, to try that first and if it does not clear up the problem then clean and reinstall everything?

Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools and see if you have any restore points back a few months before these problems started. Don't do anything. Just look and tell us the earliest restore point that you have.Also, do you have a copy of ME or do you have a Restore/recovery CD or possibly no CD at all with your computer? We need to know which of the three situations so we can direct you to the best solution.Are you running any firewall, antivirus, trojan detector, malware/spyware software? If so, what products are on your computer and are they up to date? If you don't have any, we can direct you to good free solutions and we may have you clean possible nasties off your computer to see if the problems clear up.

Somewhere on the Windows directory is an Options folder containing Windows ME Setup files. I'm not sure but I think the executable to run is SETUP.EXE so that you can re-install Windows ME "over the top". First, back up your data, and create a Windows ME startup floppy disk.

My cable company(roadrunner) has an AV and I'm using that I took off their firewall because I think it was causing me problems. Now I just use my router as a firewall as suggested by them. I have no other programs in my startup except the recently install memory program that was suggested on this link. There is no date in the restore file. I have ran spyware but I don't keep a copy in my startup, since I started having the problems. Yes I do have my CD of ME.

First we want to be sure that your computer isn't acting strange because it has malware on it.I want you to go to two sites, let the sites scan and clean up anything it finds. After you've done that, use the computer for a few days and see if the problem is gone. If it appears before two or three days, let us know and then we can step you thru reinstalling ME.The scan sites:1) http://housecall.trendmicro.com/it may take awhile for the site to download the scanning mechanism but it is a good site and worth the wait2) http://www.ewido.net/en/ look in the left column and press the start buttonthis is another good siteThere are other scanning sites but unfortunately some scan, tell you that you have problems and want you to pay for software to clean up your computer. Some disreputable sites tell you that you have spyware (false positives) that are not on your computer in order to scare you into buying their product. You do not have to worry about the two sites that I'm sending you to. Why two sites? Because each product finds something a bit different than the others. If your computer comes up clean on both sites, then we are probably looking at corrupted system files in ME and a repair or an reinstallation will be the way to get things back to normal.

I was away from my computer yesterday, I will do the scan this evening.
I ran the first link and this is what came up:No Malware AlertThere are no medium or high risk alerts at this time.The second link did not work because it only works on 2000 or xp.

Before we get real drastic and wipe the computer and reinstall ME (I say drastic because you will lose all your updates to ME and all the programs you have installed), download a program called HijackThis.http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html1. Create a new folder on your desktop and move the download into it.2. Run the program from the desktop folder.3. A log will be created. Open edit pad and copy and paste the log into it to see if you wish to remove any personal identifying data (like your name)4. Paste the log here so I can see if there is anything residing on your computer that shouldn't be there.

Before we get real drastic and wipe the computer and reinstall ME (I say drastic because you will lose all your updates to ME and all the programs you have installed), download a program called HijackThis.http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html1. Create a new folder on your desktop and move the download into it.2. Run the program from the desktop folder.3. A log will be created. Open edit pad and copy and paste the log into it to see if you wish to remove any personal identifying data (like your name)4. Paste the log here so I can see if there is anything residing on your computer that shouldn't be there.
Liz, sorry it took me so long to send this info, but I've been busy: If you are still interested in helping me solve my problem the following is the info from Hyjack:Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1Scan saved at 7:49:05 AM, on 10/4/2005Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0100)Running processes:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLLC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tskC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXEC:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\ISAFE.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXEC:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXEC:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETMSG.EXEC:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETTRAY.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXEC:\UNZIPPED\FRAMXPRO\FREERAM XP PRO 1.40.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXEC:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA THUNDERBIRD\THUNDERBIRD.EXEC:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXEC:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS-1.EXER1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...rch/search.htmlR0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.comR1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...rch/search.htmlR1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.comR1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.comR0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [scanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorunO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [systemTray] SysTray.ExeO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vet Alert] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~2\VETMSG.EXEO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~2\VETTRAY.EXEO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] atiptaxx.exeO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exeO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exeO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [sSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exeO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [VidSvr] O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CAISafe] C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exeO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXEO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE" /backgroundO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /QO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\UNZIPPED\FRAMXPRO\FREERAM XP PRO 1.40.EXE" -winO8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRdownload.htmO8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRbrowse.htmO8 - Extra context menu item: Advanced Email Extractor - res://D:\PROGRAM%20FILES\ADVANCED%20EMAIL%20EXTRACTOR\AEEMSIE.DLL/page.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: Scan link with AEE - res://D:\PROGRAM%20FILES\ADVANCED%20EMAIL%20EXTRACTOR\AEEMSIE.DLL/link.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htmO8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htmO8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htmO8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmsearch.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmwordtrans.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmcache.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmsimilar.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmbacklinks.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmtrans.htmlO9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\PARTYPOKER\IEEXTENSION.DLLO9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\PARTYPOKER\IEEXTENSION.DLLO9 - Extra button: Email Extractor - {AFA7DB99-3E4D-4396-94F8-B0B135BCB472} - res://D:\PROGRAM%20FILES\ADVANCED%20EMAIL%20EXTRACTOR\AEEMSIE.DLL/page.html (file missing) (HKCU)O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Advanced Email Extractor - {AFA7DB99-3E4D-4396-94F8-B0B135BCB472} - res://D:\PROGRAM%20FILES\ADVANCED%20EMAIL%20EXTRACTOR\AEEMSIE.DLL/page.html (file missing) (HKCU)Hope this helps.

I have also notice that in the morning when I start my computer, the memory monitor program I run on my system says that before I open any program I only have 140mb of the 256 avilable. Is the low or is this average. Soon after I open any program, even my email(thunderbird) it drops down to half of what I started with.

By the way I don't wallpapers, I do have a couple dozen icons, no fancy cursors and for the most part only have one program open at a time. But none of this shoulc effect my startup and the system not loading the programs correctly. Am I correct?
Icons momentarily disappearing or getting disarrayed is symptomatic of severe GDI/user resource depletion. The problemmatic loading of programs is probably due to system or program files issues. That clicking of WindriverBackup shortcut and getting the modify/repair/remove prompt is probably due to malware.You said you ran Spybot and Hijack. Can you run Hijack againand post the log here, as Liz suggested?Some other things you can try:(1) Use a registry cleaner utility (like RegCleaner, freeware), and a registry defrag/compacting tool (like WinRescue, trial). (2) Let Windows manage your swap file.(3) Download and run Avast or Antivir.

Icons momentarily disappearing or getting disarrayed is symptomatic of severe GDI/user resource depletion. The problemmatic loading of programs is probably due to system or program files issues. That clicking of WindriverBackup shortcut and getting the modify/repair/remove prompt is probably due to malware.You said you ran Spybot and Hijack. Can you run Hijack againand post the log here, as Liz suggested?Some other things you can try:(1) Use a registry cleaner utility (like RegCleaner, freeware), and a registry defrag/compacting tool (like WinRescue, trial). (2) Let Windows manage your swap file.(3) Download and run Avast or Antivir.
I just ran Hyjack as of:Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1Scan saved at 7:49:05 AM, on 10/4/2005Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0100)This is just hours old.

Sorry about that. I missed page 2 of the topic when I made my recent post.Log looks clean. But your system is loading a lot, if legit stuff, at startup. That may explain the high RAM used at startup. There's a lot of programs (for a win9x/me system) running in the background.I really suggest you switch to Avast, in my opinion the best for win9x/me systems (light, good protection, free).

I never worry about how long it takes. I realize that life interferes with troubleshooting computers.http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_v.htmindicates that if you don't use WebTV, you should disable thisO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [VidSvr]so you can mark it to be fixedThese two indicate that something is missing so if your computor is looking for items, that might cause problemsO9 - Extra button: Email Extractor - {AFA7DB99-3E4D-4396-94F8-B0B135BCB472} - res://D:\PROGRAM%20FILES\ADVANCED%20EMAIL%20EXTRACTOR\AEEMSIE.DLL/page.html (file missing) (HKCU)O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Advanced Email Extractor - {AFA7DB99-3E4D-4396-94F8-B0B135BCB472} - res://D:\PROGRAM%20FILES\ADVANCED%20EMAIL%20EXTRACTOR\AEEMSIE.DLL/page.html (file missing) (HKCU)You should have some more items below the last posted.I would click to fix the 3 items I mentioned

Once you have received advice on what should be removed, reopen HijackThis. Scan again. You have changed nothing and this scan result will be the same as the first. Place a checkmark in the box in front of each item you plan to remove. In this example, there are three items marked for removal.Click the Fix checked button.A confirmation box will appear. Click Yes. HijackThis will now remove the checked items.
If you have any more items to add, they can be posted after you fix the three items above.

I never worry about how long it takes. I realize that life interferes with troubleshooting computers.http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_v.htmindicates that if you don't use WebTV, you should disable thisO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [VidSvr]so you can mark it to be fixedThese two indicate that something is missing so if your computor is looking for items, that might cause problemsO9 - Extra button: Email Extractor - {AFA7DB99-3E4D-4396-94F8-B0B135BCB472} - res://D:\PROGRAM%20FILES\ADVANCED%20EMAIL%20EXTRACTOR\AEEMSIE.DLL/page.html (file missing) (HKCU)O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Advanced Email Extractor - {AFA7DB99-3E4D-4396-94F8-B0B135BCB472} - res://D:\PROGRAM%20FILES\ADVANCED%20EMAIL%20EXTRACTOR\AEEMSIE.DLL/page.html (file missing) (HKCU)You should have some more items below the last posted.I would click to fix the 3 items I mentionedIf you have any more items to add, they can be posted after you fix the three items above.
This is the latest Hyjack:Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1Scan saved at 7:09:37 AM, on 10/5/2005Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0100)Running processes:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLLC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tskC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXEC:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXEC:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETMSG.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXEC:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETTRAY.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXEC:\UNZIPPED\FRAMXPRO\FREERAM XP PRO 1.40.EXEC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXEC:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS-1.EXEC:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXER1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...rch/search.htmlR0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.comR1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...rch/search.htmlR1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.comR1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.comR0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [scanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorunO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [systemTray] SysTray.ExeO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vet Alert] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~2\VETMSG.EXEO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~2\VETTRAY.EXEO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] atiptaxx.exeO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exeO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exeO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [sSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exeO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CAISafe] C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exeO4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXEO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE" /backgroundO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /QO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\UNZIPPED\FRAMXPRO\FREERAM XP PRO 1.40.EXE" -winO8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRdownload.htmO8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRbrowse.htmO8 - Extra context menu item: Advanced Email Extractor - res://D:\PROGRAM%20FILES\ADVANCED%20EMAIL%20EXTRACTOR\AEEMSIE.DLL/page.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: Scan link with AEE - res://D:\PROGRAM%20FILES\ADVANCED%20EMAIL%20EXTRACTOR\AEEMSIE.DLL/link.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htmO8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htmO8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htmO8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmsearch.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmwordtrans.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmcache.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmsimilar.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmbacklinks.htmlO8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR3.DLL/cmtrans.htmlO9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\PARTYPOKER\IEEXTENSION.DLLO9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\PARTYPOKER\IEEXTENSION.DLL

ok. It's still hard for me to believe that the log ends there.http://castlecops.com/HijackThis.htmlYou should at least have an entry for 012 IE plugins, I would think.I see nothing suspicious in your HijackThis file but I'm wondering why there isn't more to the log and I don't know enough to be able to figure out why the log stops at 09 items.98 and ME computers aren't the best for using resources. I'll have to check what my computers say after loading.Mine are worse than your computer:98SE: 255MB (I think 1 meg is used for video), 33MB free (I still have 336megs of 384 MB virtual memory remaining which saves meME: 256MB, 78MB free and 240megs of 384MB virtual memory remaining.**** What is the size of your swap file? (This is virtual memory). To locate it, right click on My Computer, select Properties, then the Performance tab and finally the Virtual Memory button. Let us know what the minimum and maximum values are. We know the swap file size but I'd still like to know the settings for max and min. If your computer has to resize the swap file all the time, that could slow it down.Also left click on my computer and put your mouse on the C:\. Look at the status bar and tell us how much free space you have. Computers also act strange when the free space is limited.Bottom line: I can't see malware causing the problems. Something may be corrupted so a reinstall might be the way to correct the problem.Let me think about this. I'm not real keen on wiping, installing windows and then spending hours reloading all the windows updates and programs again.

Edited by zlim

It is 2 gigabytes. Strange.
:blink: Thanks b2cm...I should have thought to go back and read page 1.That seems HUGE for a swapfile. Is there a problem if the swapfile is overly large? I guessed it was too small.I just checked my computer with the 120gig hd and the swap is 1538 megs.I wonder how large a hd he has? If ME is installed, I'm guessing it is somewhere in the 20-40 gig range for a 1000MHz computer. Edited by zlim

If it was Windows that set the swapfile to 1.5gb or 2gb, then it means you should install more memory. If manually set, it may be too much and a waste of disk space (in my experience a less responsive system, too).This is a contentious matter, I am sure, but the optimal swapfile size for Win9x/ME systems is 2.5x the installed memory (128mb RAM or less), less if 256mb or more installed memory. You probably would need more than that, and Windows will increase the size as needed, if you have video-editing software. Windows ME installs at around 300mb.WinXP installs at around 1.75gb, and the usual manual-set (minimum/maximum) for the swap file is 2gb minus installed memory. So, if you have 256mb of installed memory, the swap file is best set at 1.75gb.

I have had some excellent reviews on my problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, It seem the best solution to my problem is to increase my ram to 512. is this true? Also I have been using the ram program "free ram xpro 1.40" It helps to stablize my programs, it does nothing for my boot program. By the way when I tried to upload the 1.50 itgave me error messages and I had to delete both of the programs and go back to 1.40. Has anyone else ran into the same problem.

James M. Fisher

My personal advice is to stay away from programs that 'free RAM'. XP does a great job of managing RAM on it's own.

More memory is always a good thing and I don't bother with memory managers; very little return on your investment. The newest computer in our house now has 2GB. At work today I was given approval to put 4GB in a system for running VMware. I can't wait to see the performance with this much RAM! :thumbsup: We may also be upgrading the memory in two of our notebooks at work to 2GB each. RAM is cheap and it really provides a noticeable performance improvement compared to higher CPU speeds.

He isn't running XP. He is running ME and ME does not do a good job managing memory and of course has the limited resources problem. I also run ME with 256 megs of RAM which has been fine for 4 years. Personally, I don't think adding RAM to your ME computer will fix the problem you seem to be having. Now, I just fired up my ME computer so I could look at the RAM again and discovered that I gave you the wrong program. I did run the one I told you about but I've been running one that I like better called AMS Fast Defrag 1.2.Again, this is just so I don't have to reboot my 98SE and ME computers, I still don't think it will have any effect on the problem with your icons appearing out of place and having to reboot several times until they are in the correct locations.

In my experience, 128mb RAM is good, 256mb is max on Win9x/ME systems. I set swapfile to 512mb minimum, usually on another partition.Yes, adding RAM will not solve problems mentioned. A clean reinstall certainly would.

Also if you have more than 512 megs in the 9x family of windows, the computer can lock up.I'd still like to see what sarge has set for max and min in swap file. I set mine equal so the computer doesn't keeping resizing. Before he does a re-install and loses all those updates and programs, I'd like him to change the swap file size and see if it makes any difference.I really fdisk/format as the very last option.

Also if you have more than 512 megs in the 9x family of windows, the computer can lock up.I'd still like to see what sarge has set for max and min in swap file. I set mine equal so the computer doesn't keeping resizing. Before he does a re-install and loses all those updates and programs, I'd like him to change the swap file size and see if it makes any difference.I really fdisk/format as the very last option.
Walk me through how to access and change the swap file.

I have downloaded AMS Fast Defrag 1.2 and installed it on my system. Should I delete the free ram program? Also now that I have installed FastDefrag is there anything special I should do to gain the full advantage of the program??

Yes, you can dump freeRamPro XP. I keep Fast Defrag on my desktop (it doesn't install, it is just an exe file). When I feel the computer is getting sluggish, I click on it then click on the Clean button. When it's done, I click the close button - that's it.To locate your Swap file/Virtual memory, right click on My Computer, select Properties, then the Performance tab and finally the Virtual Memory button. Let us know what the minimum and maximum values are.I have my max and min both set to 384megs because I read it is good to set it to 1.5 times the amount of RAM in the computer. Since I have 256 megs of RAM, I got 384 for swap file.After you do this...please let us know if things seem better, worse or the same with your computer.