Windows Update after SP2

chuck

I installed SP2 and tried to go to windows update. Message came up stating that I must be the administrator to get updates and that auto updating was turned off and that the administrator checked to not have updates. I went to control panel, user accounts and I am the administrator and there is no other users listed.How do I get updates and/or how do I log on as administrator since I have never been asked when booting up?

Unfortunately since SP2, Windows Updates will often give errors similar to what you're getting, if Automatic Updates (in Control Panel) is not set to Automatic option.Try that first to see if you get to the site.

Phil - The control panel Auto Update has everything grayed out. Unable to select anything.I guess the question is why does the web site at MS update say I'm not the administrator?

What is the exact error message (or number) in the top left corner of the main window once you get there ?Are you a Black Viper "fan" ? Have you made any changes to the background Services, either before or after installing SP2 ? Here are a few you should check...The following must be set to 'Automatic' startup type since SP2 :-Automatic Updates-Cryptographic Services-Security Center (new for SP2)-Task SchedulerThe following must be left to at least a 'Manual' startup type :-Background Intelligent Transfer ServiceAre your IE Security settings set as 'default' ?(Optional) What are you using as spyware/adware and anti-virus tools ? Update and run them to see if something comes up.

When I go to Windows Update I get the following message:"[Error number: 0x8DDD0003] Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download and install updates on your computer. If you believe you have received this message in error, please check with your system administrator. Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem yourself."When I click on "Read more........." I get the following:"When trying to access the Windows Update site, you see the 0x8ddd003 error Problem descriptionThe error message reads: Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download and install updates. This error may occur if the Remove access to use all Windows Update features group policy has been enabled by your system administrator. Applicable operating systemsWindows 2000Windows XPResolutions 1. Contact your system administrator for further information.Did this resolve your problem?" - What's a Black Viper? I have not made any changes to background services (?) that I know of. - As far as items that must be set to Atuo - Automatic Updates - Everything is greyed out and I can NOT click to be auto. Cryptographic Services - Have no idea what this is. Security Center - When I go Auto update I still have the "greyed out" problem. Task Scheduler - Does not show anything about updating.As far as -Background Intelligent Transfer Service- can not find anything in XP help/search about this. And yes my IE settings are set to default.I use Ad-Ware, Spybot, AVG 7 (anti-virus), a2start, HiJackthis and RegScrubXP.

Great...At least we have a clearer picture, but I'm out of ideas here, other than thinking you're running under a limited user profile. WU won't work if you don't have Administrative rights. Now, who (or what) changed this is a question we need to address. Maybe someone else can step in...

nlinecomputers

the only thing Microsoft says about this error is this:

When trying to access the Windows Update site, you see the 0x8ddd003 error Problem descriptionThe error message reads: Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download and install updates. This error may occur if the Remove access to use all Windows Update features group policy has been enabled by your system administrator. Applicable operating systemsWindows 2000Windows XPResolutions 1. Contact your system administrator for further information.
Have you ever used Group Policy Editor? You(or Windows itself) may have accidently locked your self out.

nlinecomputers

Lets try this first.Goto Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy, User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Start Menu and Taskbar, Remove links and access to Windows Update. Set it to enable. Exit out of everything and reboot. See if your access to WU is corrected.

I goto start, control panel and Administrator Tools. I find no Local Security Policy, User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Start Menu and Taskbar.All I find in Administrator Tools are:Component ServicesComputer ManagementData Sources (ODBC)Event ViewerMicrosoft .Net Framework 1.1 configurationMicrosoft .Net Franmework 1.1 WizardsPerformanceServer Extensions AdministratorServices