Small web-design problem

Bruno

Still . . if anybody knows the code that makes that only IE users will get a special message:"Download a real browser, get Firefox" . . . . .
Wow, that'll be fun... come on guys and galls, who takes the challenge ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• teacher

• Ed_P

• striker

Top Posters In This Topic

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--  if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer")      {document.write("Download a real browser, get <A HREF='http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/'>Firefox"</A>);}// --></SCRIPT>

Hi EdThat looks brilliant !! :lol: . . what does it do, do they get a pop-up . . can they still continue to see my site ? ( or do they need to push a button to continue ? )What if I want to add a line:

Download a real browser, get Firefox           Or switch to Linux
Both centered ?And where do I place the code ?:D Bruno

what does it do
It writes a line of code to the webpage that contains the text and link you specified.
do they get a pop-up
No.
can they still continue to see my site
Yes. Though if they find the text insulting they may leave. :lol:
do they need to push a button to continue
No.
What if I want to add a line
Typical client. Once the revised specs are approved and mgnt and Audit sign off we can.... :D
<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!-- if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer")     {document.write("Download a real browser, get <A HREF='http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/'>Firefox"</A><BR>Or switch to Linux);}// --></SCRIPT>

Both centered ?
<sigh>.... :D
<center><script LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!-- if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer")     {document.write("Download a real browser, get <A HREF='http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/'>Firefox"</A><BR>Or switch to Linux);}// --></SCRIPT></center>

And where do I place the code ?
Where ever in the Body of the page you would like the line(s) to appear. The top would probably be the most obvious but the bottom would work also and be a good place to test it.Ok?

PS: Can somebody post a screnshot ?
You wouldn't like what you see. The line is not showing.However, until I, or someone, figures that out I strongly recommend you remove your email links for the page. SPAMmer bots will key off them. There is a way to mask them using Javascript also which we can look at later.

Hi Ed:( . . . . . .that is a pity . . . About the email address . . . the main one is already in javascript ( http://automaticlabs.com/products/enkoderform ) so that one is safe . . . the other one is dispensable and the problem for putting that one in javascript was that it displayed in a blue color and underlined . . something that did not match the other links in the gray line and does not show if people have no java. ( And Linux has a great spamfilter :D )Thanks for your concern though :DB) Bruno

Thanks folks !! . . I will upload it to the "real" index page . . . :D :DWhat do you think . . does it need RED ??B) BrunoUPDATE: It is UP :D :P

Ok, I'm back.D'oh! I didn't see it before 'cause I was viewing it in Netscape!!! :">If you aren't going to use two lines you can remove the trailing <BR>s. The code simply produces line breaks. To space the word Download away from the word Explorer you can add " " in front of the word Download. And you can repeat that if you want more distance, ie "  ".Making IE bold and Linux red would be interesting.

:w00t:Geat job Ed !!!I did put in the <BR><BR> because I wanted some distance from the title "Tips for Linux Explorers" in the case the message showed.I will play a bit with the   signs . . . and am still not 100% sure if I really do want the color . . . . just waiting to see it myself tomorrow when I am at work.Thanks a bundle !!:D BrunoFor people wanting to see a screenshot: http://www.brunolinux.com/div/IE6SP1.gif ( made by Striker )

I like the idea, but why not use an ALERT, so that it pops up? (I don't think you can change the color, though I don't know enuogh javascript....)Otherwise, this is a great idea, and I'm glad to see it. You could point to http://getfirefox.com, which takes you to the same place (and in theory prevents a change on the mozilla.org homepage from affecting your links--since they can just redirect getfirefox.com to the new location)It is a shame that Microsoft can't put out a good web browser. Hopefully with the news that they are again working on it, we'll see some more innovation and some better competition.Bruno, have you seen nvu? Daniel Glazman is doing some wonderful things with it, and it is really shaping up to be a great product (just released 0.60 the other day). If you haven't seen it, it is Mozilla Composer split off and based on the new toolkit, just like Firefox and Thunderbird are.By the way, I'm glad to see the site up! (I already bookmarked it on del.icio.us!):w00tx100:Neil

Geat job Ed !!!
Thank you. Glad to have helped. :P
I did put in the <BR><BR> because I wanted some distance from the title "Tips for Linux Explorers" in the case the message showed.
That's fine. I just wasn't sure you did it intentionally.
I will play a bit with the   signs . . . and am still not 100% sure if I really do want the color .  . . . just waiting to see it myself tomorrow when I am at work.
The bold for IE is easy to do. The Firefoxx part has some considerations to be, well, er, considered. Firefox is a link. The color of visited and unvisited links can be set in the Body statement, but that effects ALL links. I think what you want is just the Firefox link changed. It may be able to be done via the DIV statement, but I don't know that for a fact having never used one before. :D

Hello dear friends,I was able to see the site in IE at work today: It looks GREAT !! That java-script works perfect and displays the line just like I wanted it.Pay-back time: Finally revenge for all the nagging screens I always get that say I have to get the latest version of Internet Explorer to see the site ! Such satisfaction !Neil: I changed the link to the one you suggested . . . but showing the FF logo would be a bit too much . . . I like my site to look clean and add-free, quick loading also on dial-up. Up to now I had visitors from Korea, Japan, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, Belarus, Iceland, Israel, Romania, Poland, Greece Portugal, Malaysia, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Mexico, Finland, Pakistan, Italy, Brazil, Norway, Germany, Singapore, Holland, Switzerland, Turkey, Russia, Bulgaria, Canada, France, Belgium, United Kingdom, Australia and of course you folk from the US . . :blink: . . . and they do not all have broadband.Thanks to everybody that helped to fine-tune the site !!!:) Bruno

No way . . this is a Dutch server . . . does the name nluug ring a bell ??
are you challenging us ? :blink: :) :) (just kidding)Way to go Bruno, it looks good in every aspect.

Hi NeilNVU . . . now I see what you said in the other post . . . I thought you wrote VNU the publisher of Business Media . . . :P :DNo I have not tried or even ever heard of Nvu ( I see it is from Lindows ) . . . This was the first time I ever did anything in html . . ( I always tried to stay away from it :P ) . . and for the moment I will continue with the tools I have on my system now: Mozilla Composer, Quanta, and Kedit or Kate for the edits.Man, this is all very new to me, and it is complicated enough as it is :lol: :DB) Bruno

For a first time, you did pretty good Bruno. All that practice with BB code sure must have paid off. Changing the [ to < does not take that much to learn. :)

Hi NeilNVU . . . now I see what you said in the other post . . . I thought you wrote VNU the publisher of Business Media . . . :hmm: :DNo I have not tried or even ever heard of Nvu ( I see it is from Lindows ) . . . This was the first time I ever did anything in html . . ( I always tried to stay away from it :hmm: )  . . and for the moment I will continue with the tools I have on my system now: Mozilla Composer, Quanta, and Kedit or Kate for the edits.Man, this is all very new to me, and it is complicated enough as it is :P :DB) Bruno
It is a very good tool (it is just backed financially by Linspire, I don't know that they make any actual decisions on it. It is developed by Disruptive Innovations, which was founded by Daniel Glazman, who is the owner of the Composer module of Mozilla :'( ) Mozilla Composer isn't any "worse" than Nvu, just Nvu has more active development. Eventually, Daniel said he was going to give the code he did on Nvu back to Composer (not sure when though)Either way, you can't go wrong!:w00tx100:Neil

Hi Neil,Thanks for the info . . . so basically you say that I can just as well continue to use Mozilla . . . :)Julia,Thanks a million . . . now I can go to html-university :hmm: :DB) Bruno