Mechanical keyboards

Will

After thinking about it for at least 10 years, I've finally ended up with a mechanical keyboard. 🤯

Currently using a Razer Huntsman v2, including all the fancy (pointless but fun) RGB, and a nice wrist rest. It's taking me a little while to adjust though, definitely double pressing a bunch of keystrokes or occasionally hitting the wrong keys. Definitely much louder as well.

Anyone else using one / have other keyboard recommendations?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, Josh and myself. I don't know about any others here, though.

I'm typing on a Logitech G610...

s-l400.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=fb1e729d0b9bb9

I LOVE it!

• Like 2

I just want to know when mechanical keyboards became a hobby thing that people would pay hundreds of dollars for. And not even have a ready keyboard!

2 hours ago, crp said:

I just want to know when mechanical keyboards became a hobby thing that people would pay hundreds of dollars for. And not even have a ready keyboard!

Why not? 🙂 Mine definitely didn't cost hundreds, but I wanted something that felt nice to use on a daily basis for work + gaming.

Even some of the basic Dell keyboards are between $40-80 these days (some cheaper, some muuuch more expensive).

• Agree 1

Although it is probably time to consider replacing it, since the letters are wearing off, at this point, I'm sticking with my Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000. 

Since I have ergonomic issues and I'm not a gamer, I don't think a mechanical keyboard would be a good fit for me. 

• Like 1

I do find the wrist rest that comes with my current keyboard pretty good. I'm not sure how I find it ergonomically yet - the keys are much higher than my old keyboard, so we'll see after a few weeks when I'm fully used to it.

11 minutes ago, Corrine said:

I'm sticking with my Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000. 

I think my sister used to have one of these - do you find the shape is much better for typing?

My sister also used to have one of those mice where you moved the ball, and not the block. Although this was probably back in 2005 or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Watts said:

My sister also used to have one of those mice where you moved the ball, and not the block. Although this was probably back in 2005 or so.

Trackball. I have a Kensington Orbit Trackball right next to me.

• Like 1

abarbarian
15 hours ago, Will Watts said:

After thinking about it for at least 10 years, I've finally ended up with a mechanical keyboard. 🤯

Researched building one several times just for the fun of it but life keeps on diverting me from actually building one. Josh built his own if I remember correctly.😎

10 hours ago, Will Watts said:

I think my sister used to have one of these - do you find the shape is much better for typing?

Absolutely!  

10 hours ago, Will Watts said:

I had a couple of those years ago but have been using a vertical mouse for well over ten years.    

I'm pretty sure the old Dell Quiet Key keyboard I use is mechanical by its weight. I like it because it is light colored. Every time a friend got rid of a computer, I grabbed the old keyboard and power cords. I have a few more Dell keyboards stored so I won't run out of light colored keyboards. I also have a PS/2 to USB adapter. So far the letters seems to be holding up just fine.

V.T. Eric Layton

For years and years, I just used whatever junker keyboards I had around out in the shop. Josh actually inspired me to try a mechanical keyboard. I like the increased responsiveness of the keys compared to non-mechanical boards. I also like the lighted keys, even though I can type fine in total darkness. There are just some keys that you have to use every once in a while, and when you're sitting in a dark room, it's nice to have them faintly lit up for you to find. This Logitech also has a few other nice features... queuing buttons for Playback of aud/vid stuff, volume control roller and mute button.

When I first started hunting for these keyboards, I decided to go with this Logitech  because when I tested it out at Best Buy, it was the one that "fit" me best. It was an "open box" discount. I only paid $25 for it... regularly about $60. Unfortunately, a while later, I dumped a mug of hot coffee on my desk. The bit that splattered up in the keyboard FRIED the electronic controller IC instantaneously. Whoopsie! I was very sad, but then Santa brought me a replacement and a new mouse, that was also ruined by the coffee. YAY!

Let's hope I don't jinx myself while I'm sitting here drinking this big glass of iced tea. ;) 

By the way, they're still available at Amazon, if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

abarbarian
On 5/31/2023 at 12:33 PM, xrobwx71 said:

I've been using the Steelseries Apex Pro for a few years now and have been very happy with it. I even switched to it at work. I also use their mouse. I love their software. 

Looks the biz but a tad too spensive for me. 😵

On 5/30/2023 at 4:27 PM, crp said:

Had a looksee at the offer and you can get a Z20 here for £38. However the reviews are not stellar.

Their earlier offering caught my eye whilst surfing, the Z15. Which also can be had for £37 here in the UK.

So I went an ordered one which not only came with free postage but also comes with a free desktop microphone, which I will probably never use. Reason for opting for the Z15 is the swap out keys to any three pin key. So I should be able to try out different keys which is neat. Also the RGB  is supposed to work with openRGB.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-z15-mechanical-keyboard-kailh-speed-silver-switches-n-key-rollover-magnetic-wrist-rest-usb

There is a good review here

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-z15-rgb-gaming-keyboard/

At the same site as the review they have a large selection of sounds from different switches. So If you are fed up with YT music have listen.

https://soundcloud.com/vsg-3

😎

On 6/2/2023 at 1:33 PM, goretsky said:

Hello,

I have been very happy with the MK Night Typist keyboard.  Mine uses MX Blue keyswitches for a nice clickity-clack sound and feel when I type.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

What do you use during the day time?

• Haha 1

abarbarian

My Z15 arrived in the post today. So far I can tell you that it is noisier than my old Logitech Multi media. The keys are a lot closer too which is going to take some getting used to. All those fancy colours are pretty but a tad annoying. Looks like I have some research to do to set  the colours to suit me, I really only want a quiet colour scheme for daily use and some profiles for highlighting keys for some games. As I tend to use the same buttons not be too hard.

As I am typing this I notice that I am hitting the right button but also ones in close proximity at the same time. I'll have to retrain my hands somewhat as I have just been one finger typing. That could be either very difficult or good for me as I have a bit of the old arthritis and stiffness in me pudgy digits. Seems that the typing lessons I did thirty years ago, got up to 50 words a minute, have taken root and laid dormant as all my fingers are being employed albeit slowly and a tad clumsily even in this short time.

😃

14 hours ago, abarbarian said:

My Z15 arrived in the post today. So far I can tell you that it is noisier than my old Logitech Multi media. The keys are a lot closer too which is going to take some getting used to. All those fancy colours are pretty but a tad annoying. Looks like I have some research to do to set  the colours to suit me, I really only want a quiet colour scheme for daily use and some profiles for highlighting keys for some games. As I tend to use the same buttons not be too hard.

As I am typing this I notice that I am hitting the right button but also ones in close proximity at the same time. I'll have to retrain my hands somewhat as I have just been one finger typing. That could be either very difficult or good for me as I have a bit of the old arthritis and stiffness in me pudgy digits. Seems that the typing lessons I did thirty years ago, got up to 50 words a minute, have taken root and laid dormant as all my fingers are being employed albeit slowly and a tad clumsily even in this short time.

😃

Learning new physical traits helps keep brain young.

• Like 1

Hello,

Oh, it works fine during daylight hours, too.  "Midnight Typist" is just the model name.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 6/3/2023 at 11:56 PM, crp said:

What do you use during the day time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1