KVM Switch recommendations

Will

Hey all,

I'm trying to get some hardware recommendations for my home office setup. I'm after a KVM switch that can ideally handle these three setups:

Setup 1:

• Desktop PC
  • 2x Dual Monitors
  • Keyboard/Mouse

Setup 2:

• 2019 Macbook Pro (Intel Chip)
  • 2x Dual Monitors
  • Keyboard/Mouse
  • 3x USB C ports available

Setup 3:

• 2021 Macbook Pro (M1)
  • 1x Monitor (afaik the M1 chip only supports 1 external monitor - maybe there is a workaround to get a second?)
  • Keyboard/Mouse
  • 1x USB C port available

My alternative is maybe I just get a massive screen and just live with one monitor.... but I'm not sure about that yet.

Also just to clarify - I'd probably just swap the laptops out - but ideally I'd get power + 2x monitors + keyboard/mouse all from one USB C port.

securitybreach

I use the free version and it allows it to act like a normal kvm. I have been using synergy for over a decade now. Solid software

Hello,

I have had good results with Belkin and Raritan KVM switches in the past, but those were used before USB-C was available. 

A few possible options:

Thunderbolt 4 KVM switches:

USB4 switches:

USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB-C) switches:

USB 3.1 Gen 2 (USB-C) switches:

I will point out that none of these devices natively seem to support three PCs, so you may end up having to use something like the CableDecon or MCCI switch on to plug into the second port on a KVM switch and use that to switch between PC #2 and PC #3 like so:

┌─────────┐
    │ MONITOR │
    │ KEYBOARD│
    │ MOUSE   │
    └────┬────┘
         │    
┌────────┴─────────┐
│ USB-C KVM SWITCH │
│ FOR 02 COMPUTERS │
└────┬────────┬────┘
     │        │
 ┌───┴───┐┌───┴────┐
 │DESKTOP│| USB-C  │
 │ PC #1 ││ SWITCH │
 └───────┘└─┬────┬─┘
            │    │  
          ┌─┴─┐┌─┴─┐
          │PC2││PC3│
          └───┘└───┘

There are several caveats here, amongst them that I have never tried any configuration like this myself; compatibility issues from switching between an Intel-based PC, an Intel-based Mac, and an M1-based Mac; and compatibility between the KVM switch and the USB-C switch down the link from it.

One thing I would definitely recommend, though, is reaching out to the various manufacturers I mentioned, and see if they have a specific recommendation or list of known issues for the configuration you are looking at.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 3

What are screen resolutions and monitor inputs? Do you need to have hotkeys to switch between machines or is just pushing a button on the switch good enough?

Synergy i can second , it is good.

Edited by crp
  • Like 2

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Synergy seems like a great product - my concern would be additional latency, especially for gaming, so I'm slightly more inclined to go with a physical KVM switch. Pushing a button on the switch would be sufficient.

I may end up just swapping out the macbooks as well, and running them both from a single USB-C connector and a laptop stand. The two computer KVM switches should be fine for that setup I think.

• Like 2

securitybreach
1 hour ago, Will Watts said:

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Synergy seems like a great product - my concern would be additional latency, especially for gaming, so I'm slightly more inclined to go with a physical KVM switch. Pushing a button on the switch would be sufficient.

I may end up just swapping out the macbooks as well, and running them both from a single USB-C connector and a laptop stand. The two computer KVM switches should be fine for that setup I think.

I havent noticed any latency at all. You run the server on your main machine and the other machines use a client.

6 hours ago, Will Watts said:

my concern would be additional latency, especially for gaming, so I'm slightly more inclined to go with a physical KVM switch. Pushing a button on the switch would be sufficient.

oooh , do not assume that at all. 

• Like 1