RIP Gordon Lightfoot

raymac46

The greatest Canadian singer-songwriter died May 1 at the age of 84. I have been following his career since 1966 and there is no one who embodied musically the spirit of being a Canadian more than Lightfoot. He had a number of international hits but this obscure track is a personal favorite. It's simple in its melody, but Lightfoot always surrounded himself with a bunch of great pickers. Listen for the dobro, high tuned guitar and banjo in this one. RIP.

V.T. Eric Layton

Damn.  Some of us over at Diaspora were talking about Gordon just the other day. He'll be immortal in his music, but still a great loss to us all. :(

RIP Gordon.

I was listening to an anthology collection of his music recently too. "If You Could Read My Mind" is a classic and possibly his most well-known song. I have his "Sundown" album on vinyl too.

• Like 1

I have a ton of his early stuff on vinyl, going back to 1966. Plus lots of CDs. I saw him in concert 3 times, but not since the early 90s. My favorite is "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" - the earlier version on his second LP.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2

Well Gord didn't always take hinself that seriously and this one from 1978 isn't all that politically correct but it's FUN. His lead guitarist Terry Clements was a particularly fine electric player.

Edited by raymac46
  • +1 1

One final chance to enjoy the picking wizardry of the late Terry Clements. This time acoustic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet

"...say a prayer for the world out there..."

I can see why this is a sentimental favorite- and yes, one can hear the quality

of the backup musicians he surrounded himself with. RIP Gordon.

I have wonderful memories of southern Ontario as a kid in the late 50's.

So glad I got to experience it.

...and the world says a prayer for Canada- and Gordon Lightfoot...

Clutter