Technology and Its Negative Effects on the Psyche

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, Eric, I turned the TV news off to read this. Everything you say is 100% correct. However we can still get through life with some happiness by allowing oneself little joys. I recall a quote from the Dalai Lama - "Small joy and big joy are the same".

I spend way too much time on the interwebz. Here, Debian Forums, Linux Musicians forum. I read the news on our only reliable source in Australia, the ABC (that's Australian Broadcasting Corporation, a government funded but independent entity - https://www.abc.net.au/news/ )

But also every day I'll get out of the house, ride my bicycle, go to gym and/or swim, go see a music gig. I listen to lots of music, try to relearn playing guitar, and go to Tai Chi classes every week. These are inexpensive or free pursuits, and I'd go insane without them.

My motto for life is "You learn something every day", and do nearly every day. Remember to take some time to smell the roses! 😉😎

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Being bombarded by awful news and false information etc etc is pretty much the norm these days. Looking at our freeview tv channel guides you will see the majority of channels promote death and destruction or are trying to sell you something or are promoting some far fetched alien or supernatural stuff.It is the same with the internet awful news everywhere, doom and gloom is in every nook and cranny of life.

Does it have a negative effect on my psyche, make me want to give up and stop living ?

Only if I let it.

I choose not to and am too busy with several hundred projects that I have on the go.

The thing is you may not have total control over what happens to you in life but you do have control over your mind. You can choose to wail and wallow in all that awfulness and claim that it is damaging your psyche. Or you can choose to think of all the wonderful things that the world has to offer and make the best of what life throws at you.

You only have to look at what the survivors of the Nazi death camps, Japanese prisoner camps etc of  WW2 or people living under totalitarian states today have done to see that even if you are surrounded 24/7 by awfulness you do not need to let it consume you. You can survive and come through the experience  by using your mind to see the wonderful no matter how small, by having hope.

😎

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
7 hours ago, sunrat said:

Debian Forums

EGADS, man! That place alone would stress my sanity. ;)

7 hours ago, sunrat said:

Remember to take some time to smell the roses!

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Some days, though, even the roses seem to smell like feces. Maybe it's the fertilizer?

5 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Does it have a negative effect on my psyche, make me want to give up and stop living ?

Only if I let it.

Yup. And, unfortunately, I let it that day. Which is actually quite rare for me. Most of the feces out there in the world doesn't bother me much. I have my own wee little world problems right here to deal with on a daily basis; no sense in adding to it.

___

Oh, and thanks for the replies and feedback. I will refrain from the aforementioned urination. :)

• Like 1