Ubuntu Starts the Package Manager Wars

raymac46

securitybreach
4 hours ago, Bookmem said:

It might just be my impression, but I've felt for a long time that Ubuntu is attempting to find a way to monopolize the Linux market.  But nobodies buying it.  Every time they introduce their own tech, it gets rejected.

Yup, Canonical cares more about Ubuntu as a brand. They barely mention Linux on their homepage and do not contribute back to Debian. They are trying to do their best to monetize it versus giving back to open source. Take Ubuntu Pro for instance. For $25 you get zero support:

Yt8zKax.png

16 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Yup, Canonical cares more about Ubuntu as a brand. They barely mention Linux on their homepage and do not contribute back to Debian. They are trying to do their best to monetize it versus giving back to open source. Take Ubuntu Pro for instance. For $25 you get zero support:

Yt8zKax.png

Wow....that makes NO sense whatsoever for the individual user.  I can maybe see a scenario where that makes sense for Enterprise users, supplementing IT departments.  Nothing wrong with wanting Enterprise users, but it's a mistake to ditch the users who made you prominent, IMO.

Nobody seems to mind that SUSE and Red Hat covet Enterprise users, also, so I'm back to my original question...is Shuttleworth a world-class jerk?  Or maybe SUSE and Red Hat get a pass for Enterprise aspirations because they also provide OpenSUSE and Fedora for individual users?  Something else going on here, IMO.  Ubuntu has introduced many new concepts and added a "professional polish" to the Linux desktop that didn't really exist before they showed up.  And once upon a time, Ubuntu was the face of Linux desktop, due to their "forward facing user-friendliness".  Seems to me that the Linux community would/could/should be embracing their contributions, not shunning them. You know, a rising tide lifts all boats.  "Linux is about diversity....choose what works for you....except Canonical, you should avoid everything they do."  Can't have it both ways.  I still say SOMETHING ELSE is going on here.  I just have no idea what...

Edited by Hedon James
  • Like 1

I started out with Ubuntu because a computer shop near me gave me an ISO which I used to install on an old Dell Dimension 4100. I was happy to use it for years and I learned a lot from it. I had to try a different distro because Ubuntu was not suitable for an ancient Compaq laptop I got at a thrift store. That was Vector Linux - a Slackware derivative.

Later on I switched to Mandriva because of the support Bruno offered here but I was never happy with the RPM system. I wanted to come back to APT but by then Ubuntu was using GNOME 3 and later Unity. I had done some distro farming by then and it looked as if Linux Mint Cinnamon would be the answer for me - and the rest is history. Mint is still my go to distro.

I've tried other Ubuntu flavors but I've never been convinced I want to use any of them full time. Meanwhile I've learned about Debian itself and Arch. In my view Mint, Debian and Arch are all better for my usage. Ubuntu seems to want to put me in a box I don't want to occupy.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

Wow....that makes NO sense whatsoever for the individual user. 

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

This is a free offering

Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

The latest LTS version of Ubuntu, for desktop PCs and laptops. LTS stands for long-term support — which means five years of free security and maintenance updates, guaranteed until April 2027.

this is also a free offering

Ubuntu 22.10

The latest version of the Ubuntu operating system for desktop PCs and laptops, Ubuntu 22.10 comes with nine months of security and maintenance updates, until July 2023.

Recommended system requirements are the same as for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

Ubuntu 22.10 release notes

This is the business version. Small business's can run it on five pc's for free. Yes you do have to pay for support if you want some.

Secure enterprise management with Ubuntu Pro Desktop

Ubuntu Pro Desktop is a comprehensive subscription delivering enterprise-grade security, management tooling, and extended support for developers and organisations. Ubuntu Pro Desktop is free for personal use on up to five machines.

•  

So ordinary folk get a free distro and so do some very small business's. Seems pretty fair to me. 😎

1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

This is a free offering

This is the business version. Small business's can run it on five pc's for free. Yes you do have to pay for support if you want some.

So ordinary folk get a free distro and so do some very small business's. Seems pretty fair to me. 😎

I have no problem with co.s making money from Linux.  My problem is with defacto monopolies and oligopolies, patent and copyright trolls.  IOW, so long as they aren't doing it via market control, more power to co.s making a buck.

• Agree 1

Hedon James
22 hours ago, abarbarian said:

This is a free offering

No argument regarding their free offerings.  But according to SBs chart, Ubuntu Pro will cost you $25 for NO support, $300 for full support.  Why would a user pay $25 for Ubuntu Desktop Pro when they can have Ubuntu Desktop for free?  I don't question the $300 for full support.  If you run a business and Ubuntu is your OS platform, and you need support, that $300 could be a very good deal.  For a single user, not so much.

Maybe I just don't understand the difference between "Ubuntu Desktop" (free) and "Ubuntu Pro" and "Ubuntu Server" and what those tiers are?

1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

Maybe I just don't understand the difference between "Ubuntu Desktop" (free) and "Ubuntu Pro"

raymac46's link gives a good explanation. Business's need to comply with legislation and the Pro version helps with that.

and they also must stay compliant with various regulations.

😎

Years ago when I was self-employed I paid for what was then SuSE's Enterprise offering just because I could afford to give them the support. When I retired, I started using the free version.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1