Bye Bye Pulse Audio

raymac46

In Debian Testing, the newer sound server Pipewire has been introduced. This takes over from Pulse Audio but keeps Pulse Audio on the system and acts as its sound server. Serving the server? :medic:

When I did the latest upgrades I found that packages gnome and gnome-core were being held back, not upgraded. After some searching I discovered that the latest version of GNOME is now incompatible with Pulse Audio. The solution is to install the package pipewire-audio which puts in direct support for ALSA and purges Pulse Audio from the system. After a reboot you can then upgrade gnome and gnome-core and sound still works.

So for all you Pulse Audio haters it is now possible to get rid of it for good.:w00tx100:

Edited by raymac46

securitybreach
2 hours ago, raymac46 said:

So for all you Pulse Audio haters it is now possible to get rid of it for good.:w00tx100:

Well technically you could of always done so. There is Alsa, OSS, etc.

4 hours ago, raymac46 said:

The solution is to install the package pipewire-audio which puts in direct support for ALSA and purges Pulse Audio from the system.

pipewire-audio is a metapackage that includes pipewire-pulse which is basically a bridging program so applications which only output to PulseAudio can output to Pipewire. It emulates PA.

So for all you Pulse Audio haters it is now possible to get rid of it for good.

Now we can all become Pipewire haters instead! 🤣

I've come to terms with PulseAudio in Bullseye. I don't love it but have it working acceptably, even though I use JACK as default and need PA > JACK bridge for all PA audio.

I also have a siduction install on the same computer and have been grappling to implement some of my desired tweaks in PW. Almost there but still a couple of niggles (you can find a 3 page thread on LinuxMusicians forum about that). PW has still not proven itself as capable enough with very low latency audio production setups.

• Like 1

I never had a problem with Pulse Audio until it was blocking updates to GNOME desktop. Sound quality with Pipewire seems ok for casual use.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I've never been a fan of re-Pulse-ive audio, but I've been too lazy to do the Slackware work-around to use ALSA. I might consider it when I finally get around to upgrading to Slack 15. :)