Gittin' old

wa4chq

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, wa4chq said:

10m is starting to come around.  I worked a guy in France last week with only 5w on 10m. 

When the PLL tuners made their appearance in CB radio, it didn't take long for tinkerers like myself to find that you could modify the PLL chips to create many more channels on your CB other than just the legal 40. A couple of my radios operated in 10m and down below CB into "Civil Air Patrol" freqs. It wasn't wise to play around on those lower freqs, though.

Skip was sooo easy during the sunspot peak of '79 or so. I would be sitting in the room chatting with a local friend and a booming "Breaker" would come through. I'd end up chatting with the newcomer for a few moments before finding out they were in Toronto, Canada. Fun times! I still have a pile of QSL cards from that solar peak. By the time it peaked again in '90, I was already out of radio.

V.T. Eric Layton

Man! This thread has gone all over the place (topic-wise) since it started. It's been really interesting and entertaining, though. Fortunately, at Scot's, we've never been too Nazi-ish about staying on topic. ;)

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Man! This thread has gone all over the place (topic-wise) since it started. It's been really interesting and entertaining, though. Fortunately, at Scot's, we've never been too Nazi-ish about staying on topic. ;)

I've gotten older since making the original post.  😱

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
14 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Mine goes down to my sternum

Unless I get really lazy, mine is normally trimmed down to the "George Michael" look. I just trimmed last night, actually. I was getting a bit scruffy. ;)

300.Michael.George.052008.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

securitybreach
7 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Unless I get really lazy, mine is normally trimmed down to the "George Michael" look. I just trimmed last night, actually. I was getting a bit scruffy. ;)

300.Michael.George.052008.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Mine is closer to this

otv3dsA.jpg

4 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Mine is closer to this

otv3dsA.jpg

way too long for me. When it gets past my ability to hold it in one hand (about 6") the tangles annoy me. 

For a long time I went with not shaving the sideburns but I've decided it looks too manic, so trim them down so they don't stick out that much , about 2". I do keep my cheeks pretty clean.

securitybreach
7 hours ago, crp said:

way too long for me. When it gets past my ability to hold it in one hand (about 6") the tangles annoy me. 

For a long time I went with not shaving the sideburns but I've decided it looks too manic, so trim them down so they don't stick out that much , about 2". I do keep my cheeks pretty clean.

Well the sizes are tapered in some so I don't look like a homeless guy. I basically shape it to a point, like a wizard's beard. Never had any tangles but I do use beard balm and shampoo/condition it.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Too HOT for that kind of beard in FL. About the bushiest I've ever been was in this pic from winter of 2015...

633nsnW.png

• Like 2

securitybreach
20 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Too HOT for that kind of beard in FL. About the bushiest I've ever been was in this pic from winter of 2015...

I live in New Orleans which is way hotter than Florida. Our humidity is very thick unlike the dry heat of Florida (I lived in Daytona Beach for 13 years).

6 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I live in New Orleans which is way hotter than Florida. Our humidity is very thick unlike the dry heat of Florida (I lived in Daytona Beach for 13 years).

I can't stand the humidity we have here in S. E. Virginia.  I worked outside in it up until I retired a few years ago for the most part since the early 80's.  I'd head out the door at 0730 with a clean, dry tee on only to have it stuck to me by 0800.  Right now, the temps are perfect, although I like it when it's cold too.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... you've aged a bit since that  '85 Godspeed voyage. Your teeth are still nice and white, though. ;)

ni1a.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

That was a H3LLUVAN adventure, I would bet! Do you still keep in touch with any of the crew?

It was a lot of fun.  I met some great folks.  We keep in touch, the ones still living that is...and we all try to get together as a group once a year.  All of us live in Virginia. 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, wa4chq said:

the ones still living that is...

What? No seances w/ bumps, bangs, howls, dangling chains? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

What? No seances w/ bumps, bangs, howls, dangling chains? ;)

I leave the hoo-doo voo-doo, Edgar Cayce stuff to my seester.

• +1 1

11 hours ago, crp said:

does it work?

Yep....I bought it in 1984....it's self-winding.  It still keeps great time.

7bf176f91796acd7c9572bd81e5ee2ec.jpg&f=1

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 1