Gittin' old

wa4chq

Greetin's all.  I know others have mentioned about reaching that point in our Linux journey where we now just sit back and enjoy the ride instead of sampling every distro coming out or tweaking to the point of destruction our desktop or lappy etc etc.  Well, I've been there for a few years now.  And cuz I'm old and can't retain info or read the screen like I used too, I'm now gonna bore you all with my ailments and revelations....wait, I just did....see, it's gettin' bad.  ciao

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

securitybreach

I'm only 44 and I have been doing that for years now. My setup has barely changed in the last 10 years or so.I update hardware and such but my workflow basically stays the same. I use what apps I want and do not care to try out new ones.

I suspect it's because most of us (all of us?), once upon a time, came from an OS that forced us to do things THEIR way.  And because there was plenty we did NOT like about that, we basically knew what we didn't want, but had no idea what we DID want?!  When introduced to the FOSS ecosystem, it was only natural to try out LOTS of things to figure out what we did like.  And between being "of a certain age" and being Linux-ers with enough years of experience, we now KNOW what we like and don't stray too far from it, if at all.  Perhaps a new software comes along every once in awhile that addresses an issue we feel needs addressed, becoming a new favorite?  But for the most part, we're already using what's best for our individual criteria, and it will a take LOT to re-shuffle that order.

It's like a starving man wandering into an "all you can eat" buffet for the 1st time ever.  It's only natural to gorge yourself on every possible selection at least once; and on the 2nd trip, you remember your favorites from the 1st trip.  But for that 3rd trip (and thereafter), you KNOW what you like and don't even bother with the other choices.  Maybe a new dish appears that looks tasty, and you're willing to try it out.  But for the most part, your palate is set and it doesn't change much.

That's my theory and I'm sticking with it!  LOL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

11 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I'm only 44 and I have been doing that for years now. My setup has barely changed in the last 10 years or so.I update hardware and such but my workflow basically stays the same. I use what apps I want and do not care to try out new ones.

SB, you still have plenty of time to "push the envelope".  😉

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

It's like a starving man wandering into an "all you can eat" buffet for the 1st time ever.  It's only natural to gorge yourself on every possible selection at least once; and on the 2nd trip, you remember your favorites from the 1st trip.  But for that 3rd trip (and thereafter), you KNOW what you like and don't even bother with the other choices.  Maybe a new dish appears that looks tasty, and you're willing to try it out.  But for the most part, your palate is set and it doesn't change much.

HJ....I haven't had breakfast and now I have this hankerin' to go to a buffet!  🍳🍞🥓

• Haha 2

I don't think I've ever been a real tinkerer with Linux but I have lots of old junker hardware to try out so I do dabble in the odd new distro. Most of the time when I do, I end up stepping into something I'd rather not.My best new result lately was Spiral Linux which is based on Debian stable so that's been OK.

The one leap of faith I made that worked out well was Arch Linux. I'd advise anyone to learn how to install it, and it's been rock stable on a really ugly old netbook. For stuff where I just want to set it and forget it there's Linux Mint - either Cinnamon or Xfce. For those who enjoy roller coaster rides I'd recommend Debian Testing. Nothing like upgrading 377 packages every time.

I can do stuff in the terminal but my keyboarding sucks so I'd rather just WIMP my way through a GUI when it comes to most tasks. That's why I've never really gotten comfortable with super lightweight window managers and text based configuration. And unlike HJ I just go with the defaults. If I like them, fine. If not look for another distro that suits me. I don't like Flatpaks and Snap either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raymac46 said:

I don't think I've ever been a real tinkerer with Linux but I have lots of old junker hardware to try out so I do dabble in the odd new distro. Most of the time when I do, I end up stepping into something I'd rather not.

I enjoy tinkering but that has got me in trouble more than once.  I'm not a computer person meaning I didn't work with or around them when I was employed.   My Linux journey started when I heard a few ham buddies talking about it.  I started out with downloading all the Linux on floppies I could find.  They'd boot to the CLi and I hadn't a clue what was going on.  I had an old Toshiba laptop.  It must have been every bit an 1.5" deep with the lid up!  lol.  It originally had w95 on it and I'm sure I hosed it trying to figure out partitioning...in fact, I know I did.  And I couldn't tell you how many more times I've really messed up!  lol.  But, I did start figuring things out.  Looking back, I never lost anything that couldn't be replaced and I actually was having fun messing with it.  My problem was I couldn't just leave it alone after I finally got it installed and running.  I'm fine with where I'm at today.  However there is that desktop pc I made last century from parts bought from New Egg, sitting up in the attic waiting to relive old times....😲😁💾💽🛠️

• Like 3

I was a scientist in my working life and I did have a fair bit to do with computers. I got into Linux to repurpose an old Dell Dimension 4100 that ran Windows Me back in the day. I joined BATL to get wifi working on that desktop back before they had Network Manager. Later on I installed Linux on a couple of old Windows 95 laptops. I have had a couple of purpose built desktop systems for Linux but mostly it's been to keep cruddy old hardware in service. I've only tinkered when something went south or there was no other way to get things working.

My oldest junker right now is a Dell Inspiron 530 but it has been extensively upgraded.

• Like 3

It would be fun to get the desktop down from the attic and set up again, but in all honesty, it probably wouldn't get used that much.  I originally put it together for video editing....I had a bunch of vhs vids from when I had a camcorder.  I also wanted to dual boot.  The video editor program ran under windows along with a coupe of Flight Sims I liked playing but I was using Linux for everything else.  Instead of partitioning, I bought a HD switch and had separate HD's for each OS.  Now there are some really good editors for Linux that I use if I'm editing anything these days...which ain't much anymore.  So if I did bring it down out of the attic, it would probably be in the way.  I have too many hobbies.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton
17 hours ago, wa4chq said:

And cuz I'm old...

Yeah... I'm getting familiar with that feeling. Nowadays, I'm just happy when things WORK as they're supposed to... and I mean everything from my kitchen accessories to my Zippo lighter. :)

Soon, I may have to upgrade my avatars all over the Internet.

0jDvwkS.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I thought I may have borked something when I updated my Spiral Linux install earlier today. After a reboot I had no wifi. I shut things down intending to look at it later.

Then I found out that my ISP was having problems. After that was fixed and the Internet was accessible, my wifi was working on the old desktop. Sometimes you think you are wrong when you are right.

• +1 3

I'm not bothering to repurpose anything that:

1. Has a 32 bit CPU.
  2. Has a max RAM of less than 2 GB.
  3. Has IDE or SATA 1 storage connections.
  4. Has a BIOS that won't allow booting from USB.

Such machines don't merit an SSD upgrade and without that I don't want to run them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
2 hours ago, raymac46 said:

1. Has a 32 bit CPU.

Such machines don't merit an SSD upgrade and without that I don't want to run them.

Yup, like putting brand new tires on a clunker... Kind of a waste of money

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I don't think I've ever been a real tinkerer with Linux but I have lots of old junker hardware to try out so I do dabble in the odd new distro. Most of the time when I do, I end up stepping into something I'd rather not.My best new result lately was Spiral Linux which is based on Debian stable so that's been OK.

The one leap of faith I made that worked out well was Arch Linux. I'd advise anyone to learn how to install it, and it's been rock stable on a really ugly old netbook. For stuff where I just want to set it and forget it there's Linux Mint - either Cinnamon or Xfce. For those who enjoy roller coaster rides I'd recommend Debian Testing. Nothing like upgrading 377 packages every time.

I can do stuff in the terminal but my keyboarding sucks so I'd rather just WIMP my way through a GUI when it comes to most tasks. That's why I've never really gotten comfortable with super lightweight window managers and text based configuration. And unlike HJ I just go with the defaults. If I like them, fine. If not look for another distro that suits me. I don't like Flatpaks and Snap either.

Guilty as charged.  While I do choose my favorites based on how well it checks off my list of requirements, many of my favorites are "almost, but not quite".  My favorites tend to be the absolute best "starting point" for my preferences.  They say that nothing is truly "perfect", and I think most folks are accepting of something that is 70%/80%/90% of what they wanted.....it's "close enough".  And I could deal with that too, if I had to; but it's linux, and we DON'T have to!  So I figure "it's only 10%/20%/30 from being perfect.....might as well tweak it to perfection."  And I tweak just about everything that little extra bit.  It's probably the OCD, but that part of my brain is in charge of those matters.  What can ya do, right?  So, yeah, GUILTY as charged!  LOL!

• Haha 3

I tend to be a perfectionist in many ways as well. I HATE it when something gets broken and I can't fix it. Witness my junking Lubuntu because the nm-tray applet disappeared, even tho wifi still was working fine. However I don't tweak that much because I find in many cases it makes matters worse. Old KDE 3 was one of the worst for that. I'd mess up the bottom panel, something would be gone and I'd have no idea how to get it back.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Perfectionism, OCD, etc. can often be a pain in the arse. Fortunately, as I've aged, I've found that I just don't give a shirt about a lot of that little stuff that drove me nuts in my youthful daze.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, raymac46 said:

1. Has a 32 bit CPU.

But you have to keep 'em....put them on display.  🏛️

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Perfectionism, OCD, etc. can often be a pain in the arse. Fortunately, as I've aged, I've found that I just don't give a shirt about a lot of that little stuff that drove me nuts in my youthful daze.

Yeah I do not chase women or drink gallons of ale or ride like the devil anymore. I have transitioned from perfectly happy hedonistic youth to maudlin memory meanderings. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Yeah I do not chase women or drink gallons of ale or ride like the devil anymore. I have transitioned from perfectly happy hedonistic youth to maudlin memory meanderings. 😎

I shouldn't have started this topic....I'm really getting depressed.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I tend to be a perfectionist in many ways as well. I HATE it when something gets broken and I can't fix it. Witness my junking Lubuntu because the nm-tray applet disappeared, even tho wifi still was working fine. However I don't tweak that much because I find in many cases it makes matters worse. Old KDE 3 was one of the worst for that. I'd mess up the bottom panel, something would be gone and I'd have no idea how to get it back.

thought of another potential solution for you!  You previously said network manager was working (according to CLI incantations), but the nm-tray applet was an issue.  I vaguely remember something similar with an old version of Lubuntu (perhaps 14.04 or 16.04?).  I installed WICD and the problem was resolved.  Turns out, I actually liked WICD better. 

• Like 1

securitybreach
3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Amateur B)

• Haha 2

Many of the other LXQt distros like Spiral Linux or even Arch's LXQt desktop simply rely on nm-applet instead of its Qt based alternative. That seems to work.

I remember trying Wifi Radar and WICD back in the day but I never got them to work as well as Network Manager.

I am rocking good old Linux Mint Xfce on my junker Lenovo Flex2 laptop and all is well for now.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
5 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I have transitioned from perfectly happy hedonistic youth to maudlin memory meanderings. 😎

I can relate.

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I'm really getting depressed.

Nah... no reason for that. You're still alive and kickin' and pumpin' air. Smile about that every morning... and be HAPPY you're still here. :)

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, Hedon James said:

Turns out, I actually liked WICD better. 

Yes. I highly recommend WICD. Sadly, I don't use it anymore. I can't remember why not. It was something to do with the VPN I was using a few years back. It required a "tweaked" Network Manager app to work. I'm still using that Network Manager app, actually. I'm not using a VPN anymore, though.

securitybreach

I personally prefer netctl which comes with wifi-menu to connect to wifi on my laptops. On my desktop, I use systemd-networkd as it just works.