A Better solution for Me Than Wine

mhbell

For Years I struggled with Wine trying to make it work with my Garmin GPS so I could update my maps. I tried all kinds of wine tricks and setups, but none worked satisfactory for my needs. To update my Garmin and the maps I would have to Install a version of windows which was time consuming and a pain. I finally found a better solution for me. I bought a Dell SFF refurbished computer about 11 inches square and 3 inches thick. It has 16 GB ram and a fast intel 7 cpu. and windows 10 Pro installed. $158. It is small enough to fit under my Desk. I installed mint 21 on it and dual boot with windows 10 Pro. I also purchased a KVM switch with USB and HDMI ports so I could switch from my main desktop computer to the Dell using my wireless mouse Keyboard and HDMI monitor. finally after 4 years I am able to update my Garmin by pressing a button and turning on the Dell computer and booting into windows. I even installed the Garmin Home base for trip planning. Another great thing for me is I can take it along in my 5th wheel and Use the TV for a monitor and hook to the Internet wirelessly at RV Parks or rest stops along the way. I find this is the best solution for me.

Mel

• Like 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I've never bothered with Windows emulators in Linux. I've always had a dual-boot arrangement ever since 2006 on my machines. I only boot Windows for two reasons:

- to play vid games that I have installed on that OS

and

- to occasionally run "disk fix" for my VFAT common storage drives.

I do have Nvidia vid drivers installed on both Slackware and Windows, though.

• Like 1

I hear you. None of them ever worked for me or were to lousy to use. Guess I'll have to learn to use windows again, but Mint 21 is still my primary OS.

Mel

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mhbell said:

For Years I struggled with Wine trying to make it work with my Garmin

Me too. I tried and tried and tried to get Garmin software to work for my sat nav. Gave up in the end and used my very old Windows 7 pc to install garmin Express and updated my maps on the sat nav. Then retired the Windows 7 pc. 😝

securitybreach
31 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Me too. I tried and tried and tried to get Garmin software to work for my sat nav. Gave up in the end and used my very old Windows 7 pc to install garmin Express and updated my maps on the sat nav. Then retired the Windows 7 pc. 😝

Depending on your hardware, you could of done so via a virtual machine. I updated my Garmin 010-01772-00 Foretrex 601 by that method.

I've never had much luck with a VM There was always something. My computer is almost 14 years old and serves me well. I think to run any windows programs with the exception of maybe games it is better to run them in Windows. Duel boot with another computer was a better solution for me.

Mel

23 hours ago, mhbell said:

I hear you. None of them ever worked for me or were to lousy to use. Guess I'll have to learn to use windows again, but Mint 21 is still my primary OS.

Mel

I haven't used Wine in the last 20 yrs.  But I always have a couple of Windows editions setup in VirtualBox and find it works quite well.  The ability to assign USB devices to the Vbox sessions is a major factor.  Oddly enough, the only reason I boot directly to Windows is that the Android emulaters in Windows are MUCH better than Linux and I have several Android apps I like to use.

Edited by Bookmem

19 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Depending on your hardware, you could of done so via a virtual machine. I updated my Garmin 010-01772-00 Foretrex 601 by that method.

Hardware is ok for that ----- but ------ would I live long enough to learn how to VM and install a Windows os and get Garmin Express to work --- hmmmmmmmmmm tricky one ain't it. 🤣

• Haha 1

I had a similar issue updating my GPS.   It was a few years ago and I ended up taking everything over to my parents and updated using their Windows PC.   I've used my phone for navigating around if I can't access the regular GPS, which I normally keep in the car and stored in the pouch behind the drivers seat.  The only downside to using the phone is I don't have a mount for it.  I also keep a compass, sextant, sight reduction tables and a current Nautical Almanac in the car...you never know.😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a TomTom GPS but on our last trip I switched to TomTom Go on my Android phone and it worked great. I got a cheap holder from Amazon which fits into the air vent and it's stable enough - actually better than the dedicated GPS when it comes to staying in place.

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

11 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

I have a TomTom GPS but on our last trip I switched to TomTom Go on my Android phone and it worked great. I got a cheap holder from Amazon which fits into the air vent and it's stable enough - actually better than the dedicated GPS when it comes to staying in place.

Sounds good, raymac.  I had a holder but it was a dual purpose one....you plugged the holder into the USB port so it "supported" the phone and charged at the same time.  Visualize  those inflated "characters" you see at stores, it's flopping around all over the place...well that's how this holder was, no support at all.  I'll take a look at Amazon.  Tnx.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, wa4chq said:

Hey RM....thanks for the link.  That is a lot better than that holder I bought a few years ago.  I'm heading over to Amazon right now.  Tnx

I prefer the magnetic holders, you simply put the piece of metal between case and phone. Then you put the magnet in the vent and the phone attaches

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Holder-WixGear-Phones-Tablets/dp/B01G0X56YU

7Gzl1v0.jpg

On 1/28/2023 at 2:41 PM, Bookmem said:

I haven't used Wine in the last 20 yrs. 

I'll use it for cooking.  White Wine is a must for a good cheese Fondue.  😏

securitybreach
18 minutes ago, crp said:

I've wondered why 'Parrallells' didn't make a Linux version.

They do:

Parallels helps customers leverage the best technology available, whether it’s Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android or the cloud.

https://www.parallels.com/about/

Check the linux tab https://www.parallels.com/products/ras/capabilities/parallels-client/

From AUR

eFajSjA.png

On 2/9/2023 at 12:20 PM, wa4chq said:

I'll use it for cooking.  White Wine is a must for a good cheese Fondue.  😏

I got this bottle of wine for Christmas.  I've yet to open it because it is much to expensive for my taste, but my brother and nephew own the vineyard.  The vineyard is in the Sonoma Valley but the name, Flambeaux is strictly New Orleans.

20230211_022537.jpg

Edited by Bookmem

3 hours ago, Bookmem said:

I got this bottle of wine for Christmas.  I've yet to open it because it is much to expensive for my taste, but my brother and nephew own the vineyard.  The vineyard is in the Sonoma Valley but the name, Flambeaux is strictly New Orleans.

What a beautiful place your link takes you to.Some folk were just born dead lucky I guess. 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

What a beautiful place your link takes you to.Some folk were just born dead lucky I guess. 😎

Yeah, just like some Hollywood stars are doing, buying yourself a California Winery is what being a "tobacco lawyer" allows you to do.  Wish I was that lucky, but at least I get a couple bottles of wine at Christmas.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bookmem said:

Very nice, Bookmem...  I bet it's good!  I wonder if it's sold out my way....east coast Virginia?

1 hour ago, wa4chq said:

Very nice, Bookmem...  I bet it's good!  I wonder if it's sold out my way....east coast Virginia?

You could probably find in a boutique wine shop but, like everything else today, it is available online here.  This is a picture of my brother Steve, his wife Patty, my nephew Art and his wife, Niclole.

Edited by Bookmem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bookmem said:

You could probably find in a boutique wine shop but, like everything else today, it is available online here.  This is a picture of my brother Steve, his wife Patty, my nephew Art and his wife, Niclole.

Thanks for the information Bookmem.  And a good looking family.