looking for real life suggestions - soup is too salty

crp

If a soup is too salty you can add extra potatoes to it to soak up some of the salt. Obviously you have to let them cook in the soup for this to work.

If it is too salty then split the soup into two pans and keep  adding ingredients to both till they taste great. Freeze the extra portions.

😋

• +1 1

So i did the potatoes. I figured russet wasn't meant , so used 3 gold potatoes. It worked, without the potatoes getting salty. I'm guessing the potatoes have more water content then it seems.

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

Salt doesn't change during the cooking process.

IMHO: Unless it's being used as a preservative,  don't add salt in the first place.

Put a saltshaker on the table, and let each person add to satisfy individual taste.

On 1/22/2023 at 2:51 PM, raymac46 said:

Neat find.😎

On 1/25/2023 at 3:34 PM, Pete! said:

Salt doesn't change during the cooking process.

IMHO: Unless it's being used as a preservative,  don't add salt in the first place.

Put a saltshaker on the table, and let each person add to satisfy individual taste.

Whilst salt may not change during the cooking process it can change the food it is cooked with. A healthy body with a good diet will expel any excess salt.

I do not use any salt in cooking vegetables. I could not do without it in cooking potatoes or meat.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt-and-sodium/

https://saltassociation.co.uk/education/salt-health-cooking/

😎

Obviously you can't get rid of the salt once it's in the soup. You can dilute it with water and more non-salty ingredients. Potatoes will when cooked change the perception of saltiness by delaying the salt receptors on your tongue a bit.