Windows 10 pro says to wait 2 hours to login

mhbell

Update I found out why it did this but none of the solutions are working for me. I know why I left windows many years ago. it is because of these kind of problems. If I don't solve it I will format the hard drive and install Linux only. Dual booting on this computer4 at the time.

I just purchased a Dell ssf desktop computer with Windows 10 pro on it. It was working fine until this morning when it won't let me login. The message says because of unsuccessful logins and severl trys to wait two hours with the computer turned on and try again. I haven't used windows for 4 years so need help . Linux is my main OS. Why am I getting this message and how to I fix it without waiting 2 hours. TIA

Mel

Edited by mhbell
added text

10 hours ago, mhbell said:

Update I found out why it did this but none of the solutions are working for me. I know why I left windows many years ago. it is because of these kind of problems. If I don't solve it I will format the hard drive and install Linux only. Dual booting on this computer4 at the time.

I just purchased a Dell ssf desktop computer with Windows 10 pro on it. It was working fine until this morning when it won't let me login. The message says because of unsuccessful logins and severl trys to wait two hours with the computer turned on and try again. I haven't used windows for 4 years so need help . Linux is my main OS. Why am I getting this message and how to I fix it without waiting 2 hours. TIA

Mel

Well I waited the 2 hours and was able to Login. Does anyone know how to disable this unwanted crap?

Thanks

Mel

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... granted, I don't boot my Win 10 too often, but I've never had it tell me I had to wait two hours to log in. From what I'm seeing online about this symptom, it happens when you've made too many incorrect attempts to login to your Win 10. Are you having keyboard bounce issues or fat finger problems while attempting logging in?

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Also, MS states that there is NO WORKAROUND for the faulty login delay request. I'll bet there is, though... completely remove AC power from your system a minute or so, then start back up and try to boot into Win 10.

I don't think it would be a good idea to turn off the long delay. It only does this when there are a lot of failed logins in a short period of time. Which to me screams 'hacker!".

I believe this feature was added in 2022.

( and be thankful they did not follow Steve Gibson's advice. )

Hello,

The next time you log into the Windows 10 system, you may wish to change the password to something more memorable.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
  • +1 1

16 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

The next time you log into the Windows 10 system, you may wish to change the password to something more memorable.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

It did not do this because I did not know my password. It did it because I rebooted to many time as close as I can figure. I know my password and besides I use a pin number to log in unless it asks for password. Just another bothersome windows thing.

Mel

On 1/6/2023 at 9:04 AM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Also, MS states that there is NO WORKAROUND for the faulty login delay request. I'll bet there is, though... completely remove AC power from your system a minute or so, then start back up and try to boot into Win 10.

There are a couple of work arounds including changing the registery. To much crap to fix. I don't use windows anyway. this 10 pro came installed on the computer so I thought I would play with it. I installed my Linux Mint and now dual boot it. Just something to play with when I get bored.

Mel

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 11:51 AM, mhbell said:

It did not do this because I did not know my password. It did it because I rebooted to many time as close as I can figure. I know my password and besides I use a pin number to log in unless it asks for password. Just another bothersome windows thing.

Mel

Windows protecting your account is not a "bothersome windows thing". If it allows you to login with PIN then I'm thinking that you do not remember your password.