can't enable mic in Window 11

Bookmem

I have a karaoke app that isn't listed in mic privacy settings under "Let desktop apps access your microphone".  How can I enable mic for that app in Windows 11?

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, Corrine said:

I never have the mike enabled on my PC

I don't even have a mic or camera on my system. :)

@Bookmem... you would probably get a lot more MS WIN support over at LandzDown Forum. There are some smart WIN folks over there. Lotsa' nice folks, actually. :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I don't even have a mic or camera on my system. :)

@Bookmem... you would probably get a lot more MS WIN support over at LandzDown Forum. There are some smart WIN folks over there. Lotsa' nice folks, actually. :)

Sigh!!!!  I tried registering for that forum but it won't let me!!  They have a capcha plus 3 questions to prove you aren't a robot.  I filled in the capcha field with the exact letters required, answered 8 +5 with 13, 6 x 5 with 30 and number zero and letter k with 0k and it still tells me I answered incorrectly.  Tried several times with the same result. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

@Corrine... can you help with Bookmem's registration issue at LandzDown?

Sign in problem solved.  Appears I was already registered.  Just had to reset password.

• Like 2

Hello,

It looks like Tricerasoft, the company shown in the screenshot, went out of business five years ago in 2017.  I found an archive of their home page from that time at https://web.archive.org/web/20170316191802/http://www.tricerasoft.com/ and although it's difficult to figure out what exactly happened, one can get some context of what happened.

My initial thought is to try running the program in Windows 7 compatibility mode and see if that works.  Failing that, I would suggesting looking for a replacement program from a company that's still in business.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

It looks like Tricerasoft, the company shown in the screenshot, went out of business five years ago in 2017.  I found an archive of their home page from that time at https://web.archive.org/web/20170316191802/http://www.tricerasoft.com/ and although it's difficult to figure out what exactly happened, one can get some context of what happened.

My initial thought is to try running the program in Windows 7 compatibility mode and see if that works.  Failing that, I would suggesting looking for a replacement program from a company that's still in business.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Tricerasoft may be defunct but Karafun isn't and it has the same problem.  I think that the problem is with MS's new privacy policy and that developers now need to get their software approved by MS in order to use mic or camera.  For the time being I can revert to latest version of Win 10.  Still a PITA!!  Compatibility mode doesn't help.

Edited by Bookmem
  • Sad 1

On 12/8/2022 at 1:22 PM, Bookmem said:

Tricerasoft may be defunct but Karafun isn't and it has the same problem.  I think that the problem is with MS's new privacy policy and that developers now need to get their software approved by MS in order to use mic or camera.  For the time being I can revert to latest version of Win 10.  Still a PITA!!  Compatibility mode doesn't help.

I found the answer but it isn't pretty.  Why MS would make it this difficult is beyond me.  You have to click the "Search" button and type "mmsys.cpl" to get to the same option that is readily available in Windows 10 sound settings.

• +1 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm not aware of any policy by Microsoft requiring developers to register in order to get access to the microphone and webcam. 

There are options to block access to them on a per-program basis.  That was introduced in Windows 8 in 2012, if memory serves.  There's also third-party security software that offers similar functionality as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2