ubuntu server

crp

Leaving CentOS and the Alma branch of it for a Linux server. CentOS ain't CentOS anymore and Alma was quite the disappointment.

Was going to use straight Debian but decided on using Ubuntu instead.

1st impressions:

• surprised that booting takes quite a bit longer than the CentOS
  • using a gui is a pain in Ubuntu as well
  • iptables! 

have not gotten to installing interesting services yet, right now trying to get more comfortable with a setup that i can use.

that   docker  comes "preinstalled" is quite interesting.

securitybreach

Rocky is what CentOS users moved to once RedHat acquired them and change the development model.

Rocky Linux is an open-source enterprise operating system designed to be 100% bug-for-bug compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux®. It is under intensive development by the community.

https://rockylinux.org/

I have a buddy that migrated his company's servers from CentOS to Rocky and he said it was pretty painless as a drop in replacement.

so, still feeling my way around this strange new world

How do I see (and manage) the network ip addresses from the gui? I'd really like to be able to see ip address from taskbar.

thought it would be under Settings->Network, but nope image.png.4b28b78eefd197998c7469e607d60036.png

and indicator-ip repository is evidently not setup according to the rules and apt will not use it.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Wish I could be of some assistance to you, but waaaay too long since I played with Ubuntu in any serious fashion. :(

• Agree 1