No sound after pipewire replacement !!!

abarbarian

Pulseaudio has been replaced with pipewire on Arch set ups. It is supposed to be a painless change.

Not on my Arch it ain't.

I did an update and it seems everything is installed,

pipewire-1:0.3.59-5 is up to date -- reinstalling

pipewire-pulse-1:0.3.59-5 is up to date -- reinstalling

pipewire-alsa-1:0.3.59-5 is up to date -- reinstalling

lib32-pipewire-1:0.3.59-2 is up to date -- reinstalling

The guide says to try,

$ pactl info

Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.32)

I do and get

-->pactl info

Server Name: pulseaudio

The guide says

Install pipewire-pulse. It will replace pulseaudio and pulseaudio-bluetooth. Reboot, re-login or start the pipewire-pulse.service user unit to see the effect.

I try and get

Put brain in gear before pressing enter20:36:10-->Mon Nov 07-->~
-->systemctl start pipewire-pulse.service
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-units ====
Authentication is required to start 'pipewire-pulse.service'.
Authenticating as: bloodaxe
Password: 
==== AUTHENTICATION COMPLETE ====
Failed to start pipewire-pulse.service: Unit pipewire-pulse.service not found.

So what the heck is going on . It seems all pipewire stuff is installed ok when I check with pacman.  However all is not ok as systemd does not seem to see it.

I am well and truly hacked off. Why could they leave stuff as it was or give an option to change over if you wanted to. Progress my big fat ar*** 😡

Oh an I have rebooted several times. An tried updateing everything too.

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Um, it is??? This is the first I have heard of this. I do not have pipeline on any of my installations....

Ok, I have pipewire installed but never used it.

[comhack@Cerberus ~]$ pactl info

Server String: /run/user/1000/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 35
Server Protocol Version: 35
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 2284
Tile Size: 65472
User Name: comhack
Host Name: Cerberus
Server Name: pulseaudio
Server Version: 16.1
Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_0c_00.3.analog-stereo
Default Source: alsa_output.pci-0000_0c_00.3.analog-stereo.monitor
Cookie: 2e13:8815

securitybreach

The only thing I see is back in may

Undone replacement of pipewire-media-session with wireplumber

2022-05-12 - Jan Alexander Steffens

Two days ago the wireplumber package was made to replace pipewire-media-session as the latter session manager for PipeWire is considered dead upstream and will see no more releases. Unfortunately, this step was premature.

Our pipewire audio packages (pipewire-alsa, pipewire-jack and pipewire-pulse) ship configuration that prompt media-session to activate PipeWire's audio features. When these packages are not installed and the configuration is missing, PipeWire can be used for screen recording without interfering with ALSA or PulseAudio.

WirePlumber disregards this mechanism and always configures PipeWire to grab audio devices, meaning users of PulseAudio or bare ALSA experience broken audio.

The replacement has been reverted while we attempt to look for a better solution switching to WirePlumber. If you are currently not using PipeWire for audio and wireplumber got installed on your system, please reinstall pipewire-media-session and reboot to restore audio functionality.

pacman -Syu pipewire-media-session

https://archlinux.org/news/undone-replacement-of-pipewire-media-session-with-wireplumber/

• Like 1

securitybreach

I would remove pipewire-pulse and pipewire-alsa and reconfigure Pulse. Unless you are using experimental wayland, pipeline is not required at all.

• Like 1

ray@ray-debian-T430:~$ pactl info
Server String: /run/user/1000/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 35
Server Protocol Version: 35
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 77
Tile Size: 65472
User Name: ray
Host Name: ray-debian-T430
Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.59)
Server Version: 15.0.0
Default Sample Specification: float32le 2ch 48000Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
Default Source: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
Cookie: 315a:ac3f
ray@ray-debian-T430:~$ 

I have pipewire on my Debian bookworm install running GNOME 43. I get sound OK at least on YouTube videos.

• Like 1

@abarbarian curious the pipewire-pulse service won't start. Have you tried using a player which has a direct PW output? Have you run pw-top to see what PW programs are running? https://docs.pipewire.org/page_man_pw_top_1.html

I've switched between PA and PW successfully on a test install of Debian Testing a while back. Some of the commands in this post may help - https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=149568#p149568  - although it's for switching between PW and JACK, I'm sure you could adapt.

Pipewire pretty much Just WorkedTM in Testing IIRC.

I considered many times running Arch just to see what it's about. Seems similar to Debian Unstable in that it works great, until it doesn't. 😁

Sticking to Debian Stable here for now, much less hassle. I did try Manjaro once, full install, for a few days. It was OK but no killer must-have features.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 9:43 PM, sunrat said:

I considered many times running Arch just to see what it's about. Seems similar to Debian Unstable in that it works great, until it doesn't.

I have found Arch to be extremely stable and easy to run. Apart from when I start to fiddle around. Then It usually goes kaput on me at some stage. 🤣

I must have been half asleep when the update asked if I wanted to replace pulse with pipe. Normally I would have done a check to see what was what but this time I just said yes without thinking.

I managed to ditch the pipewire and set up pulseaudio again. So everything is working and as far as I am concerned back to normal again.

Thanks everyone for the help.

😎

• Like 2

securitybreach
9 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I have found Arch to be extremely stable and easy to run. Apart from when I start to fiddle around. Then It usually goes kaput on me at some stage. 🤣

I must have been half asleep when the update asked if I wanted to replace pulse with pipe. Normally I would have done a check to see what was what but this time I just said yes without thinking.

I managed to ditch the pipewire and set up pulseaudio again. So everything is working and as far as I am concerned back to normal again.

Thanks everyone for the help.

😎

Nice :thumbsup: