I Hope the Desktop System Continues In Production

raymac46

The pandemic was pretty good news for the desktop PC. Apparently folks working from home and the shortage of components for laptops meant that a lot more desktops were sold.

I hope the trend continues. Although most of what I do does not need a desktop's power, it is nice to have a big screen, fast cable connection, a good GPU, nice speakers and tons of local storage. My Dell XPS 8940 is a different beast than desktops of the past though. It is much shorter and lighter, has wifi capability and is quite proprietary in its components. That said it has worked great - plays my train sims beautifully.

I do my surfing on desktops laptops and mobile these days but given a choice I'd still go with the desktop.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I hope the trend continues.

It won't, sadly. Everything is going to continue to get smaller and more portable; eventually working its way to cranial implants.

Hello,

Judging from Intel entering the discrete GPU add-in card market (aka video cards), plus the roll-out of new desktop CPUs from AMD and Intel, and the release of a new generation of GPUs from Nvidia, my suspicion is that the upgradable desktop computer market is not going away any time soon.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

It should be easier for folks who like to DIY a desktop system now that graphics cards have become more normal in price and easier to get. I got a prebuilt desktop last year simply because a decent graphics card was available with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, raymac46 said:

It should be easier for folks who like to DIY a desktop system now that graphics cards have become more normal in price and easier to get. I got a prebuilt desktop last year simply because a decent graphics card was available with it.

same here, got a prebuilt this Spring that was also a refurbished to get a 2020 AMD CPU and GPU.