Navidrome music you control !

abarbarian

I came across this article on folk leaving Spotify and such like sites.

There’s endless choice, but you’re not listening’: fans quitting Spotify to save their love of music

Former streaming service subscribers on why they have ditched mod cons for MP3s, CDs and other DIY music formats

Quite a neat article. I knew people were starting to go back to vinyl and mini cd players and such and not simply due to them working out cheaper than a streaming service.

The article led me to discover Navidrome which I thought might be of interest to folk here.

Navidrome can be used as a standalone server, that allows you to browse and listen to your music collection using a web browser.

Features

• Very low resource usage. Runs well even on simple Raspberry Pi Zero and old hardware setups
  • Handles very large music collections
  • Streams virtually any audio format available
  • Reads and uses all your beautifully curated metadata
  • Great support for compilations (Various Artists albums) and box sets (multi-disc albums)
  • Multi-user, each user has their own play counts, playlists, favorites, etc..
  • Multi-platform, runs on macOS, Linux and Windows. Docker images are also provided
  • Ready to use, official, Raspberry Pi binaries and Docker images available
  • Automatically monitors your library for changes, importing new files and reloading new metadata
  • Themeable, modern and responsive Web interface based on Material UI
  • Compatible with all Subsonic/Madsonic/Airsonic clients. See below for a list of tested clients
  • Transcoding on the fly. Can be set per user/player. Opus encoding is supported
  • Translated to 17 languages (and counting)
  • Full support for playlists, with option to auto-import .m3u files and to keep them in sync
  • Last.fm and ListenBrainz scrobbling

It can also work as a lightweight Subsonic-API compatible server, that can be used with any Subsonic compatible client

I like that it can run on a Raspberry Pi Zero and has Docker images. Also it is more secure if you turn of or do not use the Subsonic stuff.

😎

• Like 1

Looking at it, Navidrome reminds me of Plex.  I gave Plex a try for a while but it was a little too complicated for my needs.   Also, I was not sure how secure it was.  So now, I have a spare Pi doing the jams for me.  I loaded a bunch of music onto the sd card and access it using ssh.  My player (mp3blaster) is kinda primitive compared to the eye candy/bells n whistles of Plex or Navidrome but that's fine.  Once the music starts I'm good to go.

securitybreach

I use Plex for my massive library without any issues. I tried out Emby for a while and also JellyFin but always went back to Plex

I control my music collection. Often just use file manager or locate in terminal for finding individual songs/albums and play with DeadBeef or MPV. If I want that full music catalogue type management I have Cantata.

10 hours ago, sunrat said:

I control my music collection. Often just use file manager or locate in terminal for finding individual songs/albums and play with DeadBeef or MPV. If I want that full music catalogue type management I have Cantata.

Same here.  I also use Cantata, which is just a front end GUI for MPD (music player daemon).  I miss Banshee....that really was PERFECT for me, until it became "buggy" on my systems.  I also sync my music to an external drive in network, and broadcast using KODI to several set top TV devices with surround sound throughout the house.  I used to use Serviio, and never had any issues with it, but KODI is just so much simpler and reliable, and full featured.  I've tinkered with Plex and Emby (media browser) but saw nothing to pull me from KODI.  I could live with Plex or Emby in a world where KODI doesn't exist, but I prefer KODI.  Probably due to familiarity.

securitybreach
18 hours ago, sunrat said:

Well Plex is for streaming movies to my living room tv from my server in the closet.

• 2 months later...

funkwhale

This could be a great way to access your own music from any device, pc or phone. You can use it totally as a private user though the storage size limit is not very big. 😎