Questions About Windows 10 or 11 Security

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

So, my lady-friend has a new laptop with Win 11 on it. It came with an introductory McAfee installed, but it's now expiring. My questions to you Windows folks out there are:

- does Win 10, 11 have built-in security like Win 7 used to?

- if not, what's the best "free" antivirus out there for WIn 10, 11 these days?

I'll be needing to either delete the McAfee and use the built-in WIn security (if there is such a thing these days) or install some sort of antivirus for her, preferably a free version like AVG, et al.

I haven't been keeping up with the new stuff in Win 10 or 11 these days, so I'm kinda' clueless about this stuff. Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions.

44 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

- does Win 10, 11 have built-in security like Win 7 used to?

Yes.  Microsoft Security Essentials was replaced by Windows Defender, renamed Microsoft Defender which is what I use (DEV version).  (I also have a licensed MBAM installed.)  I haven't used any of the other free A/V products in decades so cannot provide any advice regarding their effectiveness or ease of use.  

For a licensed antivirus, of course I recommend ESET.  

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah... good to know. I wasn't sure if MS had continued with their own Windows security. She doesn't do a whole lot with her laptop, and she's very cautious about sites and emails and such that seem suspicious, so the MS Defender that's already on the system will suffice. I'll have to remove/disable the McAfee next time she comes over with her laptop. At that time, I'll check the MS Defender settings and make sure they're all up and running.

Thanks, @Corrine! :)

P.S. And BIG YES to ESET. If she was going to pay $$$ for protection, that's what I would have installed for her. :)

• Like 1

If she doesn't want to pay I'd just use Windows (Microsoft) Defender, which is pretty good actually. Also install the free version of Malwarebytes and scan with it occasionally. That's what I have for some folks I help out with Windows. Personally, I use ESET.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2
  • +1 1

On 9/11/2022 at 11:11 AM, Corrine said:

I haven't used any of the other free A/V products in decades so cannot provide any advice regarding their effectiveness or ease of use.  

By the way, regarding free A/V products, although AVG is still available, it was taken over by Avast in 2016.  Although AVG has continued to be available, it uses the exact same technology as Avast.  Further, Norton purchased Avira in 2020.  In addition, effective today, Norton will complete the merger with Avast!

• +1 1

AVG is Avast https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVG_AntiVirus

Avira is owned by Norton https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avira

Avast (and hence AVG) is owned by Norton https://www.abc15.com/news/business/nortonlifelock-to-change-company-name-in-wake-of-avast-acquisition

McAfee and Norton since the companies were sold by Peter Norton and John McAfee take a huge hit on system resources. I was a paying customer of both products then got disillusioned.

In the meantime, MS has been improving the av included in Windows and now known as Defender. 

Why install a 3rd party program when Windows includes a very good av program.

except from a 2021 article by Neil Reubenking at PCWorld

Microsoft Defender scores 9.6, which is quite a good score. It’s better than any other free product tested with this same sample set. Adaware, Avast, and

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition all score 9.2, while Kaspersky, Panda, and Avira score still lower.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1