Install Linux on Windows with WSL

Corrine

11 hours ago, securitybreach said:

The horrors... 😱

Exactly.

The sharks are already circling.

You can buy the free Avidemux for $3.69 from the Microsoft Store.

The original developers who still produce and maintain the free open source have this to say about that on their home site.

2020-12-24: Microsoft Store : Not an official version, not related to us.

It seems someone is packaging free/opensource softwares and putting them on the Microsoft store. They charge a variable amount of money for that.

Avidemux is one of them.

So to make it clear :

* It is not done by us at all

* Spending money there is not helping

* They are probably breaking at least one of our licenses doing that (GPL/Binary distribution) or microsoft TOS.

So just download avidemux for free from the download links on the left and dont feed the parasites.

Another rip of artist is the seller of Open Shot Pro for $4.99. Who has the cheek to make you give them 5 stars in the reviews before you can unlock all the facilities of the program. What a first class a**h***.

M

madison

Jun 12, 2022

in the beginning It says add 5 stars to unlock advanced options, which is a horrible marketing technique. it makes it look like it has 5 stars and is good but then its just cause it makes you do it.

T

Theodore

Aug 27, 2022

You have to write a five star review to unlock all the features, and it wants a firewall exception. Sinister and questionable.

https://www.openshot.org/

This is how the original developers want the program to carry on.

Open-Source

OpenShot™ was created in 2008, in an effort to build a free, simple, open-source video editor for Linux. It is now available on Linux, Mac, and Windows, has been downloaded millions of times, and continues to grow as a project!

License

OpenShot™ is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Personally I can  see WSL being of some marginal use for professional developers. For the great unwashed general public it will just be more rip offs and dodgy software and cause hours of pain and misery. They will have to fork out even more money to fix real or non existent  problems and the stress caused will be astronomical.

It certainly will not do the linux world any favours in the beginning and possibly damage the penguins reputation amongst the uninitiated.

🙄

• Like 1

I'm glad that others have the option to pursue what they prefer.  But I personally question the strategy of installing a rock solid guest OS on a foundation of a quirky and unstable base?  Seems to me that the host OS should be the rock solid base, with the ability to install a quirky and unstable guest on top of that.  I'll stick with a Linux base, and install Windows VMs as guests of that host.  JMO...

• Agree 2
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I keep my quirky and unstable OS on a totally separate drive on this system and disallow ANY access to the Network whatsoever. It behaves well that way and cannot corrupt my other drives. ;)

• Like 2

Yes, Eric, I'm not surprised.  However, since it is Linux-related, I felt the information needed to be made available here.  After all, this is "Bruno's All Things Linux" forum, even though it has a Windows connection.  Perhaps it will have the result of people who hadn't thought about it before giving Linux a chance.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I was in no way criticizing your posting of this topic. I just thought it was funny to read the replies. Information is information. Thank for posting it. :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

I didn't take it as criticism of the post here.  It should be noted, however that the $3.69 Avidemux mentioned above is a video editing app for Mac, Windows and Linux.  Open Shot Pro for $4.99 is also a video editing app.  Neither are Linux distros.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corrine said:

I didn't take it as criticism of the post here.  It should be noted, however that the $3.69 Avidemux mentioned above is a video editing app for Mac, Windows and Linux.  Open Shot Pro for $4.99 is also a video editing app.  Neither are Linux distros.

I think the point is that both of these applications are available for no cost. OpenShot is in Debian repos and both it and Avidemux can be downloaded for free from their websites for all platforms.

The only mention of Open Shot Pro is on that MS store so I think it may be the standard version and the vendor is trying to upsell it. Even the screenshot of it on the store is the standard version. It all seems a bit disingenuous. That's the way capitalism rolls I guess.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Corrine said:

Perhaps it will have the result of people who hadn't thought about it before giving Linux a chance.

It probably will which is a good thing. Though it will probably cause a lot of confusion and fud too.

My point about the paid for apps is just that , they are there so someone can profit from the efforts of unpaid developers and users, which is just plain old wrong. These are free programs that have been developed to be free for all users.

I posted as I feel that folk should be informed of the facts in the hope that these paid for apps will just wither and die due to lack of customers.

☠️

• Like 1

As a long time user of both Linux and Windows, I have concluded that the best way to use either OS is on the rails in its own machine. Maybe this means more hardware but since Linux can run on most old junkers this doesn't have to be an expensive way to do it. At the very least you only need 2 machines to enjoy both OSs.

When it comes to Windows, I try to use it in as "open source" a manner as possible - Firefox and Chrome, Libre Office,VLC replacing Microsoft programs. But that is just me.

I have found Windows 11 to be pretty stable and secure if you use decent security software. I use it as a Linux host so that I can have Linux available on all my stuff.

I don't think Microsoft can afford to ignore the presence of Linux nowadays because it wants to be in the cloud services business - where Linux is king.

• Like 3