ericsbane 07 Showing Some Age

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, yesterday a thunderstorm came through. My power went off for a few seconds; enough time for my system to go down. I restarted it after the storm passed and it was booting, but had one long warning POST beep... video issues. That sucked. So, I wiggled the connectors and wiggled the vid card in the slot and rebooted. It came up and I booted into Windows to run disk fix on my vfat drive that didn't get shutdown properly earlier. That all went OK. Rebooted again... one long POST beep - no vid. The machine did boot, though. I just logged in as Root without seeing what I was doing on the monitor because it was dark. I did telinit 0 and shut the system down. Wiggled vid card again, rebooted. This time everything came up fine.

This morning I powered up and again one long beep - no vid. I disconnected everything, took the unit outside, fired up my compressor in the shop and BLEW THE H3LL out of the innards; they were quite dusty and cat hairy. I hadn't done this for some time. I tightened the vid and mem cards, tightened all connections internally, and so on. I brought the unit back in and fired it up... one long POST beep - no video. ARRRRRRRRRGH! I slammed my open hand against the side of the case and rebooted. All is working fine... for now. We'll see how this goes when I boot up tomorrow.

I hope my Gigabyte mobo vid card socket is not going bad on me. This is what happened to me on ericsbane 06 (my current shop system). I had to use the onboard video when I set it up in the shop due to that bad vid socket on that motherboard. If the same happens on this system (ericsbane 07), I'm screwed. It doesn't have any onboard video. :(

Oh, well... if it does take a permanent carp on me, I'll alert Josh via text message on my phone that I'll be going dark (no Internet access) for an extended (possibly forever) time. I'll keep you posted... if I can. ;)

Later...

~E.

• Sad 2
  • Confused 1

V.T. Eric Layton

It seems to have, for the moment. I put the system in Sleep mode a little while after posting the above. I just woke it back up and it came up fine. The real test, though, will be the complete power down tonight and the start-up tomorrow morning. Hope I don't have to slap it around anymore. ;)

• +1 2

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

It has a better chance than you mate. 🤣

HA! Nah... I'm all out of cigarettes today and haven't had any bourbon in the house since Saturday night. It's going to get UGLY soon. :(

___

Oh, and system came up fine again today. YAY!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • +1 1

On 8/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

HA! Nah... I'm all out of cigarettes today and haven't had any bourbon in the house since Saturday night. It's going to get UGLY soon. :(

Did you get your stocks replenished?

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... puter wouldn't boot again today. I got frustrated with it earlier and just walked away for a while. If I hadn't I may have considered dancin' a jig. ;)

I came back and pulled out my 4 mem sticks and reinstalled. That fixed it! Loose connection, evidently. :)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I came back and pulled out my 4 mem sticks and reinstalled. That fixed it! Loose connection, evidently. :)

We all knew you had a few loose connections, didn't know you had four memory sticks though. Glad you sorted that. 😃

So what was wrong with the computer ???? 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1