Bless me father, for I have hosed again...

wa4chq

It's been quite awhile since my last Linux hosing, so for kicks I did it again yesterday!  (I'm lying...I didn't do it for kicks)  My brother gave me a Dell tower last year.  They were updating at work so he grabbed one for me.  I wiped Windows off and installed Mint.  While doing so, I split the hard drive so I would have a spare partition.  All has been good until yesterday when I decided to install Archbang.  I used AB years ago and decided to relive those daze.  So I installed AB to hda3, the empty partition.   But after rebooting, GRUB didn't detect Mint.  It hadn't been wiped but I couldn't boot to it.  So this morning, I did a little research into GRUB and read that it should detect another flavor if something else is there.  I found the answer and after verifying in /etc/default/grub that

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

was not commented, I ran this command:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

After rebooting,  I found Mint had been added to the GRUB menu.  So sisters and brothers, pray for me so that I may have the power to resist the temptation of another evil install, and if the urge is there, pray that I have the wisdom to use VB or Live distro's.  Go in peace.  Amen.

• Like 1
  • +1 2

I ran into the same with a recent siduction install. In Debian it changed to disable os-prober for Bookworm. IIRC, to detect other OSs for GRUB it just needed booting to siduction and running

update-grub

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sunrat said:

I ran into the same with a recent siduction install. In Debian it changed to disable os-prober for Bookworm. IIRC, to detect other OSs for GRUB it just needed booting to siduction and running

update-grub

Hey Sunrat....before I found the article, I did try just:

sudo update-grub

and it responded by saying it couldn't find command.  That's when I dug further and luckily found what it was I needed to do.

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Ah.. good ol' GRUB. I sorta' remember it. ;)

I'm glad that I wasn't having wifi issues during this major crisis....  I think GRUB is better than is used to be but I really don't want to mess with any of that sh*te again (laughing to myself)

• Haha 1

Whenever I install a new distro to test, I always have it install grub to the test partition or not install grub at all.  Then when I boot, it runs the old grub.  Then I run update-grub from my main distro so the it adds the test distro to the grub menu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bookmem said:

Whenever I install a new distro to test, I always have it install grub to the test partition or not install grub at all.  Then when I boot, it runs the old grub.  Then I run update-grub from my main distro so the it adds the test distro to the grub menu.

As of today, I am turning over a new leaf.  Living on the Linux edge is behind me....it's history.  I will fight Linux no more forever!

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Living on the Linux edge is behind me....

Meh... my Linux Adventure daze are far behind me. I can't even remember the last time I installed a distribution other than Slackware on any of my systems. Of course, nowadays my "systems" are no longer plural... just my main system in the house. My old shop system has a pooped out PSU, so it's been dead for a couple years now.

I'm at the age where I'm just happy it turns on in the morning and works without any bugaboos. In the evening, it goes back off again. That's about the extent of my adventurousness. ;)

• Like 1

I agree with Eric. I am just getting too old for the complicated life. One OS only per machine. I do have a bunch of junkers though. If I want to test something new there's always VirtualBox.

• Haha 1

securitybreach
On 8/6/2022 at 8:06 AM, raymac46 said:

I agree with Eric. I am just getting too old for the complicated life. One OS only per machine. I do have a bunch of junkers though. If I want to test something new there's always VirtualBox.

I just run other distros via VMs, I have not dual booted in well over a decade.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I just run other distros via VMs...

As most of you may remember, I've never utilized VM in any form on any of my machines. I always install "on the rails", so to speak.

Virtual computing is a lot like virtual sex; it may be safer, easier, less messy... but not near as much fun. ;)

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Virtual computing is a lot like virtual sex; it may be safer, easier, less messy... but not near as much fun. ;)

I'm all for Live Distros that talk dirty to ya...

• Haha 1