LiFePO4 batteries

Bookmem

I have bought a lot of LiIon batteries and found the vast majority of them are fake and only produce a fraction of the rated power.  Particularly those from China. I'm now considering buy LiFePO4 batteries and I'm wondering if they have the same problem.   Anyone have any experience with them?

Edited by Bookmem

2 hours ago, sunrat said:

Only ones I have used are Hyperion for RC model receiver and transmitters. Top quality.

https://hyperion-world.com/en/charger-battery/batteries/radio-receiver-packs

Also remember LiFePO4 have a nominal voltage of 3.2v whereas LiIon is ~3.7v so they are not quite a drop-in replacement.

I think it is LiPo batteries and not LiFePo ones that are 3.2, but the batteries that I'm looking at say the are for 36v bicycle motors.  They are rated to handle 1500 watt motors and mine is only 600w.  Their main advantage over LiIon is that they are supposed to be less apt to catch fire.  My problem is that I have a source for LiIon that I trust but they don't sell LiFePo.

9 hours ago, sunrat said:

LiPo batteries are nominal 3.7v. Fully charged they are 4.2v.

My mistake but it doesn't matter in what I'm looking for.  I'm not buy individual cells.  A 12v LiFePo pack just uses 4 cells instead of 3 LiIon and I'm buying 36v batteries which use 12 instead of 10.  But that does give me another way to check for fake.  If the battery I'm looking at says it is 10SxP, instead of 12SxP, then it is obviously LiIon and NOT LiFePo.  And I've seen some like that advertised as LiFePo. Here is an example.  That is claiming to be 36v 20ah but for a LiFePo it should be 12S5P and not 10S3P.

Edited by Bookmem