The lost command!

wa4chq

Well, it's more like the forgotten command.  I'm over at a friends house-sitting while they are off to a family reunion for a week.  My phone automagically connects to their wifi but it's been several years since I've had my lappy over there and I could not remember the command to bring up the curses-based thingamajig that allows me to select and connect to available wifi.  I've been using it forever but since my lappy also automagically connects to my home wifi and my parents wifi, I don't have to actually type the curses-based thingamajib command for it either.  Well, I do at my friends house and for the life of me, I could not remember the command....and apparently, I also forgot that I had a keystroke shortcut for it.  Well, it's all sorted out....I remembered the command and was able to connect to the "new" wifi.  I use wicd-curses cuz I'm old-fashion and because I'm old.  Enjoy your week.

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, wa4chq said:

curses-based thingamajib

I don't quite remember this, so chances are... I haven't used it in a decade or so. My Nook and my cell phone connect to my WIFI automagically. Actually, those two devices are the only reason I even have WIFI enabled on my router; I have no laptops, tablets or such... or any of those IoS(hit) things in my home.

3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I don't quite remember this, so chances are... I haven't used it in a decade or so.

Thingamajib is almost as powerful as Thingamajig, but it has to be based on curses to be really effective.  Do you remember cursing at it?

securitybreach

Well I need to know what network manager application you are using as it could be lots of them and the commands would be different.

Hey SB...yes, I use wicd-curses....I mentioned that in the original post.  I've used it basically from day one or there abouts and not just with Slack.  I'm just used to using it.

• Like 1

I remember when I had to do this:

wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0

Somehow it's easier to just click on a Network Manager tray icon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not much into clicking on icons.  For me it's just as easy to type the command especially if I've set up an alias for it. 

wicd-curses.jpg

• Like 1