install chrome Mint 20.3 xfce

Bookmem

I just bought a used Lenovo 300e touchscreen tablet and have installed Mint 20.3 Xfce on it.  When I try to install either Chrome or Brave browser, when I click the Download button, nothing happens.

1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Ah, its not in the normal repos anymore. Follow this to install it: https://itsfoss.com/install-chrome-linux-mint/

Nope.  I installed from website, not software manager.  But when I click Accept and Install, nothing happens.  I don't get the Save screen.

edit: Problem solved.  Even though I didn't get the Save option screen, when I looked later the deb file was in my Downloads folder.

Edited by Bookmem
  • Like 1

Hedon James
12 hours ago, Bookmem said:

Nope.  I installed from website, not software manager.  But when I click Accept and Install, nothing happens.  I don't get the Save screen.

edit: Problem solved.  Even though I didn't get the Save option screen, when I looked later the deb file was in my Downloads folder.

There ya go, Book.  The Chrome DEB is an "installer" file that sets up a repo for Chrome that subsequently installs, and updates, from that repo.  I'm guessing you didn't get the "save option" screen because you have Firefox(?) set to automatically save to "Downloads" folder.

• +1 1

1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

There ya go, Book.  The Chrome DEB is an "installer" file that sets up a repo for Chrome that subsequently installs, and updates, from that repo.  I'm guessing you didn't get the "save option" screen because you have Firefox(?) set to automatically save to "Downloads" folder.

Yeah, Mint has Firefox as the only installed browser, so that's what I used to download from the website.  I seldom use Firefox except when setting up new Mint installs but this is the first time I've seen this behavior.

securitybreach

Now Chromium is in the software repos but the sync function has been removed so you have to manually import favorites and install extensions

2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Now Chromium is in the software repos but the sync function has been removed so you have to manually import favorites and install extensions

No sync is a deal breaker for me.  I have a whole bunch of devices and having to add a new bookmark or login to them individually is too much of a PITA.