Derecho

raymac46

We had a nasty straight line windstorm in Ontario on Saturday. The derecho as it is called was worse than a tornado because it was far more widespread. We were OK but a couple of trees came down across the street from us. Power was off here for 12 hours but we are lucky to have a power station in town. My daughter had no power for 42 hours and there are some folks who are just getting power back today.

Internet was out for 3 days and mobile connections were also spotty. We were back to listening on a portable radio to get our news. No TV or land phone either. 

It's back to normal now but whoa...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/derecho-causes-havoc-in-canada-1.6464409

V.T. Eric Layton

"Derecho" is the Spanish word for "right" as in right side, right hand, and so on. Wonder how the heck it got chosen to name a freak storm system?

Cluttermagnet

We had one of these blow through in (roughly) 2015 here. Took a Tulip Poplar

tree and snapped its big trunk in half. A lot of the tree came down, much of

it in my back yard. Mmmm- doughnuts, uh, firewood. Anyway I got a lot of

wood stove chow out of that event. The neighbor wasn't a wood stove

afficionado, however. Just more unwanted work for him.

Clutter

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

Yo, Eric! Scot's has been my internet home base since 2003. I'm still in loose orbit around this site.

I do miss the playful give and take that used to prevail in the Cooler. But we have all been very

skillfully played against each other. It's dangerous these days to have political views. I had to

wander off for a while and try to find 'my tribe'. Some success. Above all, I did manage to avoid

the 'mass formation psychosis' afflicting so many of my countrymen. Grateful to be alive.

The world is still a fascinating and challenging place, and love is still to be found- and given-

in this crazy place. Hope springs eternal...

Clutter

V.T. Eric Layton
5 hours ago, Cluttermagnet said:

Hope springs eternal...

And, if not, there's always bourbon. Cheers! 🥃

• Like 1