Google's Gmail Restricting 3rd Party Access - 30 May 2022

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

> ...starting May 30, 2022, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

___

This is problematic for me because I ONLY access my email accounts via Thunderbird. I do NOT do webmail. Most of my other accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) have already instituted "App Passwords", a 16 digit encrypted password, for 3rd party apps like T-bird. However, Google complicates this by requiring "Two Step Sign In" to be enabled in your Google account in order to generate and use the "App Password" system for your 3rd party apps.

I refuse to go through all that BS just to get my Gmails. Instead, I set Gmail to FWD all incoming emails to my Yahoo account. I then turned off Gmail access completely in my Thunderbird. I also set up a Yahoo filter in T-bird that automagically sends all the forwarded Gmail emails to the old T-bird Gmail Inbox.

And that fixed that.

Have fun!

• Like 1

According to a post at the T-bird support forum, T-bird should continue working. Just need to make sure you have OAUTH2 set as the authentication method.

I haven't tried this yet so I don't know if it works. Guess I'll find out on May 30

Using OAUTH2 has been an option for several years and now it will soon be mandatory for Gmail. TB has that option and it's rather straightforward. You need to change authorization by going to tools>account settings>server settings and changing authentication method to OAUTH2 and then going to tools>preferences>privacy&security and remove the gmail passwords - highlight account, rightclick and remove password. After that, shut down TB and restart. You will be presented with a menu to log into gmail to grant access to TB. Once done, life should resume.

On 2-step authentication, that is not a requirement for OAUTH2

13 minutes ago, Lost said:

According to a post at the T-bird support forum, T-bird should continue working. Just need to make sure you have OAUTH2 set as the authentication method.

I haven't tried this yet so I don't know if it works. Guess I'll find out on May 30

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did try it, and it didn't work. Fortunately, (to me), my google account is merely a way to subscribe to my town's Youtube council meeting videos on my Firestick. The mail is superfluous, so it's easier to stop Thunderbird from checking it than trying to troubleshoot.

Edited by Pete!

2 hours ago, Pete! said:

I did try it, and it didn't work.

I just setup OAUTH2 on my Linux version of T-bird and it seems to work fine

I need to update my Windows T-bird before I can try it there. I'm using a much older version there and it doesn't have OAUTH2 as an option.

Edited by Lost

V.T. Eric Layton

NOTE: Google has NOT yet implemented this above policy, so changes may work now and NOT work on 1 June.

I think Outlook has the same policy but not sure. PoP Peeper automatically set me to oauth2 when i put in my outlook address.