PhotoPrism: Browse Your Life in Pictures

abarbarian

PhotoPrism: Browse Your Life in Pictures

PhotoPrism® is an AI-powered app for browsing, organizing & sharing your photo collection.

It makes use of the latest technologies to tag and find pictures automatically without getting in your way. You can run it at home, on a private server, or in the cloud.

Getting Started

Feature Overview

• Includes 4 high-resolution World Maps to bring back the memories of your favorite trips
  • Metadata is extracted and merged from Exif, XMP, and other sources such as Google Photos
  • Many more image properties like Colors, Chroma, and Quality can be searched as well
  • Use PhotoSync to securely backup iOS and Android phones in the background
  • WebDAV clients such as Microsoft's Windows Explorer and Apple's Finder can connect directly to PhotoPrism, allowing you to open, edit, and delete files from your computer as if they were local

Step-by-step installation instructions for our self-hosted community edition can be found in Getting Started. All you need is a Web browser and Docker to run the server. It is available for Mac, Linux, and Windows. PhotoPrism also runs on DigitalOcean, Raspberry Pi, FreeBSD, and many NAS devices.

This looks like a very interesting program. You can run it on a Raspberry Pi though I think only on the latest models, Raspberry Pi 3 / 4. What is most interesting is that they have a Docker set up that I think would be the easiest way to run PhotoPrism on a home pc.

With Docker Compose, you use a YAML file to configure all application services so you can easily start them with a single command. Before you proceed, make sure you have Docker installed on your system. It is available for Mac, Linux, and Windows.

Oh and it is a multi platform program.

I am too busy to try it out at the moment as I am still rebuilding the Royal But I would like to give it a go when I have more spare time.

The demo is well worth a looksee.

😎

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Better check the license as they are not opensource https://photoprism.app/cla

You hereby grant, and agree to grant, to PhotoPrism a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, fully-paid, royalty-free, transferable right to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, exploit and distribute your Contributions and such derivative works, with the right to sublicense the foregoing rights through multiple tiers of sublicensees, and to transfer the above rights to third parties, in any possible manner.

They can and will sell your data

10 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Better check the license as they are not opensource https://photoprism.app/cla

They can and will sell your data

Hmm from my reading I think not.There is a difference in developer submissions and personal content. that is if I have understood correctly.

PhotoPrism® Contributor License Agreement (CLA)

Thank you for your interest in contributing to our open source software projects ("Projects"). This Contributor License Agreement ("Agreement") sets out the terms governing any source code, object code, bug fixes, configuration changes, tools, specifications, documentation, data, materials, feedback, information or other works of authorship that you submit or have submitted, in any form and in any manner, to PhotoPrism UG ("PhotoPrism", "we" or "us") with regard to the Projects in respect of any of the Projects (collectively "Contributions").

• After you submit your first pull request, you will be asked to accept this CLA. It preserves our ability to license our software and documentation according to our terms.
  • Changing the license may be necessary, for example, if the license is incompatible with a larger combined work, we want to lift some restrictions on the AGPL/Creative Commons license, or it turns out that someone is abusing the existing license in a way we don't yet know about.
  • The lack of a formal contract would also create legal uncertainty for us and all users, as some contributors might later claim that they did not intend to license their code in any way and that it was stolen.
  • We reserve the right to update this Agreement (1) to reflect changes in our business entity, name or address, (2) for legal or regulatory reasons, or (3) to improve readability and to make clarifications that our community requests.
  • If you have any questions about this Agreement, please contact us at hello@photoprism.app."

PhotoPrism® Terms of Service

8. Permission to Use Your Content

(a) Your content remains your property, which means that you retain all intellectual property rights in your content. You are responsible for your use of our Services and for all content you provide, share, sync, or upload, including compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations. You are only permitted to share another person's content if they have given you their permission.

(b) When you upload your content to one of our Services, for example, to share images with others without providing them access to your home network, you (1) grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use your content for technical purposes, (2) make your content publicly available if and only to the extent you have made it visible to others, (3) sublicense those rights to other users to enable the Services to function as intended, for example, to enable you to share photos with people of your choosing. This license will continue for as long as your Content is protected by intellectual property rights, unless you remove your Content from our Services earlier.

(c) If you remove your content from our Services, our systems will no longer make that content publicly available within a reasonable time unless you have already shared copies of your content with others before you removed it. If your content was publicly available, it is possible that search engines such as Google will continue to find your content and display it as part of their search results.

(d) We reserve the right to remove content that violates these Terms, such as copyright or trademark infringement or other forms of intellectual property appropriation, impersonation, unlawful conduct, or harassment.

😎

securitybreach

(1)

grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use your content for technical purposes, (2) make your content publicly available if and only to the extent you have made it visible to others, (3) sublicense those rights to other users to enable the Services to function as intended, for example, to enable you to share photos with people of your choosing.

22 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Unless I see GNU GPL, I do not trust it.

I find legal documents pretty confusing and agree that a GNU GPL would be much clearer. I still think that they are not in the business of profiting from peoples personal content and that your stuff would be safe.

A legal eye on the document would be helpful.

The idea of running your own photo gallery from home through a docker set up is very appealing though don't you think ? 😎

securitybreach
9 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I find legal documents pretty confusing and agree that a GNU GPL would be much clearer. I still think that they are not in the business of profiting from peoples personal content and that your stuff would be safe.

A legal eye on the document would be helpful.

The idea of running your own photo gallery from home through a docker set up is very appealing though don't you think ? 😎

Here are some others that are linux based https://www.linuxlinks.com/PhotoGallery/

XW9oMX3.png

14 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Here are some others that are linux based https://www.linuxlinks.com/PhotoGallery/

XW9oMX3.png

Yeah all of those look really complicated to set up and manage.

The main aspect that attracted me to look at PhotoPrism was that you could run it with a docker set up very easily and quickly. I might e-mail the developers and ask about privacy and photo use by them. Too busy building the Royal at the moment. 😎

securitybreach

I guess it depends on what you want to do with your photos. I do not use anything to organize my photos except for folders that I created but if I were to, it looks like Gnome Photos fits the bill:

Access, organize and share your photos on GNOME. A simple and elegant replacement for using a file manager to deal with photos. Enhance, crop and edit in a snap. Seamless cloud integration is offered through GNOME Online Accounts.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Photos

36 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

I guess it depends on what you want to do with your photos. I do not use anything to organize my photos except for folders that I created but if I were to, it looks like Gnome Photos fits the bill:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Photos

I just have mine in year folders with month folders then dates folders with names.

Point about the PhotoPrism was to use it as an alternative to Imgur or such like as well as a photo organiser. 😎