I like the way the forum is run.

Guest Mauser

Guest Mauser

I like the way the forum is run.  It reminds me of the openSuse forum. When I switched to using Linux back in September 2015 the most distasteful thing I found is the way Linux forums are run. There a small minority of users that are so bad that they look like the majority. They have no manners, nasty, obnoxious, and liars. Most of the forums treat these undesirables as their favorites and discriminate against everyone else. Nothing ever happens these undesirables as they can say what they want, do what they want, and get away with everything while everyone gets attacked and punished. They have this bad attitude that because something is free that it's duty and honorable to treat people badly. This forum is run very well by treating everyone fairly as everyone is treated everyone the same. Keep up the great work and never change.

V.T. Eric Layton

Thank you, @Mauser. We try to follow Scot's and Bruno's examples and have a place where people can come to and not be afraid to ask simple questions. We don't even use the word "newbie" here, as Bruno and the rest of us always felt that it was demeaning.

Know this, though, we are NOT perfect by a long shot, but we try to be kind, considerate, and fair in our administration/moderation of Scot's Newsletter Forums.

Thanks for participating!

Regards,

~Eric

• Like 2
  • +1 2

10 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Know this, though, we are NOT perfect by a long shot,

Also it is great to see a forum where the moderators are so so honest. 🤣

P.S. I agree with Mauser's opening post 100%. 🤩

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

This forum is not large but those who do participate are Linux veterans mostly and represent a broad spectrum of users, distros, DEs, WMs etc. Like our mentor and inspiration Bruno we all are willing to help and respect anyone who may post here. I haven't met anyone in person but I count many of the members here as friends.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 4/18/2022 at 2:06 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Thank you, @Mauser. We try to follow Scot's and Bruno's examples and have a place where people can come to and not be afraid to ask simple questions. We don't even use the word "newbie" here, as Bruno and the rest of us always felt that it was demeaning.

Know this, though, we are NOT perfect by a long shot, but we try to be kind, considerate, and fair in our administration/moderation of Scot's Newsletter Forums.

Thanks for participating!

Regards,

~Eric

never noticed that 'newbie' wasn't used here. Why do you think it is demeaning? 

Actually, now that i think about it a little, i think i've described myself as newbie to some aspect here.

Anyway, the point of the OP is absolutely valid. The Linux help here is polite and never goes "you are an idiot" or "RTFM" as an answer. 

Guest Mauser
11 minutes ago, crp said:

Actually, now that i think about it a little, i think i've described myself as newbie to some aspect here.

Anyway, the point of the OP is absolutely valid. The Linux help here is polite and never goes "you are an idiot" or "RTFM" as an answer. 

And you don't get the command line rammed down your throat like in most of the Linux forums.

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, crp said:

I searched and searched the board this last 30 mins or so, but cannot find the actual first posting where Bruno mentioned his feelings about the word "newbie". However, I had copied it down in the Admin/Moderator area of the board shortly after Bruno's demise. Here is what Bruno himself said about that word:

QUOTE (Bruno @ Forum May 25 2003): "We try to avoid the word 'newbie', it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification. --Bruno

All the Staff made the commitment to honor his request that it not be used here at Scot's.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • +1 1

11 hours ago, crp said:

Just do not like the word. Also newbie is used as a  put down or insult on quite a few sites usually by braindead idiots who have no experience of the subject they claim to be experts in. 😎

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

Many members here use the CLI with elegance and experience. Others rely on the graphical front ends and get the job done. My own thoughts can be paraphrased from former Canadian Prime Minister W.L. Mackenzie-King: "CLI if necessary, but not necessarily CLI."

• Like 3

Guest Mauser
47 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

Many members here use the CLI with elegance and experience. Others rely on the graphical front ends and get the job done. My own thoughts can be paraphrased from former Canadian Prime Minister W.L. Mackenzie-King: "CLI if necessary, but not necessarily CLI."

I could never learn to understand the command line language and trying to use the command line interface by doing Internet searches I have ended up causing issues with my computers which one time resulted in completely destroying the operating system. This is why I despise the command line interface. I could see the command line interface being good for those that have figured out how to understand it and use it, but it's not for me. While I like Linux there is one thing that I can't stand about it is the ones that throw the command line on me, being rude, really nasty, disrespectful about it, expecting me to know the command line instead of telling me the commands to put in the terminal. Then they go on with the CLI is faster and easier than the GUI which maybe that's the case for them, but not for me. Then they go on telling me that I should learn the command line.😡 I tell them that they should learn some manners! I see this happening to other people as well and have come across some that went back to using Windows and would never consider to trying Linux ever again because of bad ones in the Linux community. That's why I put the bad ones on my ignore list.

Edited by Mauser

V.T. Eric Layton

As always with anything in life, use what works best for you. Ain't it great to have options?! :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mauser said:

by doing Internet searches I have ended up causing issues with my computers which one time resulted in completely destroying the operating system.

Your in good company then as I guess almost everyone has done something similar in the past. That is why most penguin users have two or three computers running at the same time. 🤪

If you trust the other members of the forum then advice on what to type in the Terminal should not be a problem. Some distros have better GUI utilities than others. At the end of the day a GUI is generally a front end to the Terminal anyway. I usually use the command line for updates and upgrades, but I like a GUI to install new software. That's just me.

• Like 1

Yes indeed, I remember the old "alt.linux" usenet groups. Just like the old west they were, you took your life in your hands whenever you asked a question. Especially if you had the unmitigated gall of asking how to do something in linux, or why something did not work. Ah yes, the "good old" days.

It's better now-a-days, even marginally (depending on the web forum), but SN was always fairly accommodating to new learners to the world of linux and Bruno was a passionate teacher of all things linux and strongly disapproved of the term "newbie".

I've been a full time user of linux for quite awhile and I still know very little on the inner workings of said OS but I muddle through, even if barely.

edit to add: yes modern web forums do indeed have loud mouth blowhards that can make being a member of a forum a bad experience. Whatever you do, don't start to collect pocket-knives and join knife forums, All I can say is, thank goodness for the "ignore member" button.

Edited by colin.p

Guest Mauser
On 4/22/2022 at 8:14 AM, abarbarian said:

Your in good company then as I guess almost everyone has done something similar in the past. That is why most penguin users have two or three computers running at the same time. 🤪

I have desktop and laptop that I don't enjoy the hassle of fixing them the hard way. On scotsnewsletter it's usually made easy without the nonsense. The ignore feature comes in handy when dealing with undesirables. 😉

Guest Mauser
1 hour ago, colin.p said:

Yes indeed, I remember the old "alt.linux" usenet groups. Just like the old west they were, you took your life in your hands whenever you asked a question. Especially if you had the unmitigated gall of asking how to do something in linux, or why something did not work. Ah yes, the "good old" days.

It's better now-a-days, even marginally (depending on the web forum), but SN was always fairly accommodating to new learners to the world of linux and Bruno was a passionate teacher of all things linux and strongly disapproved of the term "newbie".

I've been a full time user of linux for quite awhile and I still know very little on the inner workings of said OS but I muddle through, even if barely.

edit to add: yes modern web forums do indeed have loud mouth blowhards that can make being a member of a forum a bad experience. Whatever you do, don't start to collect pocket-knives and join knife forums, All I can say is, thank goodness for the "ignore member" button.

I first tried Linux in 2000 and all there was those you describe. Lame lying excuses about why Linux wouldn't work for me. I tried Corel, Mandrake, and Red Hat without success. I waited till 2015 to try Linux again and it worked proving them that they all liars. Those undesirables you mention didn't go away, they mostly flocked to Manjaro and Linuxquestions.org but have unfortunately infiltrate other forums. While the ignore feature comes in handy, it falls short as I recall a conversation on how to fully correct these issues on forums but the ones that run those forums refuse to implement a block feature. Having a block feature will prevent those on your list from replying to any of your posts and prevent them from mentioning your name.    

• 4 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Did you, by any chance, mean for the above post to be in the Funny Things area of the board?

securitybreach
17 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Did you, by any chance, mean for the above post to be in the Funny Things area of the board?

Yeah, crap. Moving now

• Haha 1

I thought you posted that as a comment about Mauser. Seemed to fit. 😆

Person posts about liking how the forums are run then abuses the privilege of being here to the point of being banned.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
14 hours ago, sunrat said:

Person posts about liking how the forums are run then abuses the privilege of being here to the point of being banned.

Pretty much lol

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton
15 hours ago, sunrat said:

Heh! ;)

• Haha 1