sha256

réjean

Hi everyone! Happy Easter, Ramadam and any other holidays everyone. I haven't post in a long time but I still come in once in a while to read what is going on. I am getting a new computer which comes with Windows 10 but, of course, I want to run Linux. So I downloaded the latest Ubuntu and I am trying to do the sha256. I was told I had to install the hashalot first which I did but now when I try " sudo sha256 ubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso" and I type in my password I am asked for a passphrase. What should I do?

• Like 3

securitybreach

Oh no, you do not need to do that. Just run

sha256sum linux.iso

(replace linux with name)

That will give you the checksum. Oh and no reason to use sudo to check an iso.

I've never even heard of hashalot.

"sum" that's what I was missing. Thanks! It had been so long since I downloaded and checked a new distro that I had totally forgotten. Unfortunately I will have to download it again because it doesn't match.

Screenshot from 2022-04-17 14-56-33.png

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Oh no, you do not need to do that. Just run

sha256sum linux.iso

(replace linux with name)

That will give you the checksum. Oh and no reason to use sudo to check an iso.

I've never even heard of hashalot.

Well it could be

hashalot(1) read a passphrase and print a hash

hashalot is a small tool that reads a passphrase from standard input, hashes it using the given hash type, and prints the result to standard output.

Warning: If you do not use the -x option, the hash is printed in binary. This may wedge your terminal settings, or even force you to log out.

or it could be

Hashalot Features and Options Cryptocurrency Mining Software

Hashalot Description

Collaborate with other miners to locate blocks together. Everyone gets a share of the reward if they find a block. You can mine your own block. When you find a block, you'll get the entire block reward less any pool fees. Confirmed balances will be processed once an hour. Before a block can be confirmed, it takes 100 confirmations. Hashalot pays the transaction fees for all balance payments. These fees are included in the pool's fee. Once a block has been confirmed, the reward is proportionate to the amount of work done by all miners. Each share has a final worth, while in PPLNS shares expire after a certain time. This payout scheme pays the block finder the entire block reward less any pool fees. This is the best option for people with large hashrates.

For some reason it reminds me of Monty Python. 🤣

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Hello, @réjean! I'm very happy to see you here. We've been wondering where many of our old friends had gotten to. I'm happy to see that you're still alive and kickin'! :)

• Like 2

Thanks Eric. I am ok. I have been spending a lot more time learning and practicing permaculture than playing around with different Linux distros. S I am just using one or two now and as you can see I am a bit rusty not even being able to remember how to use sha256sum. lol

• Like 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
23 hours ago, réjean said:

Thanks Eric. I am ok. I have been spending a lot more time learning and practicing permaculture than playing around with different Linux distros. S I am just using one or two now and as you can see I am a bit rusty not even being able to remember how to use sha256sum. lol

Well that's what we are here for ;)