Garmin Express Installed on Linux Mint

mhbell

For those of you who have a Garmin GPS You can now install Garmin Express in Linux. I installed it in my Mint linux and used it to update my Garmin Nuvi 55  GPS to day. It updated all of my maps. took about 30 minutes. No need to install Windows to update my Garmin. That was the only reason I kept a spare ssd with windows on it. I don't have windows on any of my computers.

Mel

• Like 3

I have a Garmin GPS.  Thanks for the info mhbell.  I remember my dad gave me his TomTom GPS but I couldn't update it.  I took a road trip once and I remember if I had just followed the signs instead of the GPS, I could have bypassed Richmond instead of driving through it.  I think after that and until I bought the Garmin, I used my phone, which does a great job.

• Like 2

I knew you could install Garmin Express on a penguin. Recently I have looked into doing this on my Arch set up as I have a Garmin Sat Nav. However I could not find a simple to follow guide to accomplishing this task. All the guides I found were super complicated with tons of steps and just baffled me completely.

I ended up resurrecting my old Windows 7 pc as it seemed the easier way.

Can anyone point the way to an easy to follow and use guide ? 😎

Here is a link to a simple installation it has Manjaro setup. It uses Plugins.

Mel

https://adiesner.github.io/GarminPlugin/installation.html

Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mandriva & CentOS (rpm)

There is a repository for Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mandriva and CentOS Users. Go to the following website and follow the instructions:

http://software.opensuse.org/download/package?project=home:garminplugin&package=GarminPlugin

Thanks goes to Robert Walker who introduced me into the mysteries of RPM building and Axel Braun who helped me using the openSUSE build system.

Arch Linux

José San Juan has created an arch package

securitybreach
56 minutes ago, mhbell said:

Mel

There is a repository for Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mandriva and CentOS Users. Go to the following website and follow the instructions:

http://software.opensuse.org/download/package?project=home:garminplugin&package=GarminPlugin

Thanks goes to Robert Walker who introduced me into the mysteries of RPM building and Axel Braun who helped me using the openSUSE build system.

Arch Linux

Too bad the AUR package hasnt been updated since 2016

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mhbell said:

Mel

Arch Linux

Thanks, but those links are for the Linux Garmin Communicator Plugin which is not what I am after. Also the links lead to dead pages or out of date software. 😎

15 hours ago, mhbell said:

Play on Linux also has a file that can be downloaded to install Garmin Express.

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-4208-Garmin_Express.html

Thanks I had found that site in my initial reaserch and tried to use the script. However whilst the script did start up and seem to start to install Garmin Express it kept on installing some windows NET files loads of them and once it had downloaded them the script stopped. I tried a few times but after wasting several hours of messing around I gave up.

In the end as I said I used my Windows 7 pc. Took me half an hour to find cables and move stuff around and download updates for a previously installed Garmin Express, but heck it was miles less stress free and quicker than trying and failing the penguin way. 😎

So how did you install Garmin Express on your Mint pc ? 🤔

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach
33 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Thanks but the first two links seem to be for Garmin watch stuff and the last one makes no sense to me. 😎

Well the first one mentions the setup using a watch but the second specifically talks about a GPS unit. Its the first thing on the page:

Garmin GPS devices with USB support are generally well‐supported on GNU/Linux systems. However, there are some niggles to get around. This page should describe how to get your Garmin devices working under various GNU/Linux systems.

12 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Well the first one mentions the setup using a watch but the second specifically talks about a GPS unit. Its the first thing on the page:

It does mention GPS btu it is a very complicated read. I am after a how to instal GARMIN EXPRESS as that is what my Sat Nav needs to update. Thanks anyway . 😎

• Like 1

12 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Thanks I had found that site in my initial reaserch and tried to use the script. However whilst the script did start up and seem to start to install Garmin Express it kept on installing some windows NET files loads of them and once it had downloaded them the script stopped. I tried a few times but after wasting several hours of messing around I gave up.

In the end as I said I used my Windows 7 pc. Took me half an hour to find cables and move stuff around and download updates for a previously installed Garmin Express, but heck it was miles less stress free and quicker than trying and failing the penguin way. 😎

So how did you install Garmin Express on your Mint pc ? 🤔

I followed the instructions that told how to install it. It takes a long time and is very slow. Sometimes it appears to have stopped, but it really hasn't. It just takes time and you have to wait. It installs a Virtual drive on your computer and installs several windows files. You then download a Windows Garmin Express EXE file and install it. PlayOnLinux has all of the files. It Worked great for me.

Mel

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:36 AM, mhbell said:

I followed the instructions that told how to install it. It takes a long time and is very slow. Sometimes it appears to have stopped, but it really hasn't. It just takes time and you have to wait. It installs a Virtual drive on your computer and installs several windows files. You then download a Windows Garmin Express EXE file and install it. PlayOnLinux has all of the files. It Worked great for me.

Mel

I can not remember if I tried to install that on my old Tough Book or my pretty fast Arch setup. I will give it another go on the Arch rig and see whats what. Thanks for the input. 😎

• Like 1