Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Hi, All-

Recently got fed up with the constant hammering of users who are on the

yahoo webmail platform. I have a vertically folded sheet of paper with a

paper clip at the top fashioned into a hook. This can be hastily hung over

the RH side of the monitor to block the distracting insanity going on

constantly. So after some years away from Thunderbird, I got back to

using it once again to read my yahoo emails...

I need some help figuring out how to stop a very annoying behavior of

Thunderbird. When I click on a hyperlink in an email, I am immediately

taken to a freshly opening tab in FF. I want to *stay* within the Tbird

platform and maybe click on several links, opening several new tabs,

prior to *my* choosing to move over to FF. I cannot for the life of

me figure out how to reset whatever software default is causing this

unwanted and aberrant behavior. I did take a look at Edit/Preferences

and I just can't find anything that appears relevant. Just recently I had

another, somewhat similar problem with Tbird and I had to resort to

online help to figure it out. It was anything *but* intuitive and obvious.

Perhaps this email client is being run by a large, international

committee of folks who are not native English speakers?

Thanks, Clutter

V.T. Eric Layton

Thunderbird is NOT a browser. It's designed to work in conjunction with its sister application -> Firefox. That's just the way it works. I don't think there's a way around it because TB does not have browser capabilities built into it.

I believe you can install an Extension to achieve what you want, but be careful with Extensions, particularly ones that are allowed to access the Internet. They can be a security issue.

Here's a Search @Moz TB Extenstions site using "browse" as the variable. The first two or three hits are extensions that might help you:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/search/?q=browse&appver=&platform=

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet
3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Thunderbird is NOT a browser. It's designed to work in conjunction with its sister application -> Firefox. That's just the way it works. I don't think there's a way around it because TB does not have browser capabilities built into it.

I believe you can install an Extension to achieve what you want, but be careful with Extensions, particularly ones that are allowed to access the Internet. They can be a security issue.

Here's a Search @Moz TB Extenstions site using "browse" as the variable. The first two or three hits are extensions that might help you:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/search/?q=browse&appver=&platform=

I knew Tbird is not a browser, Eric. It is an email client. My question, however, is prompted

by the memory certain that I have encountered this very behavior in the past, and that it

is a simple option so far as how one configures their email client. I am absolutely certain

I have seen this in the past. With other email clients there was a choice of whether or not

that client hands off upon clicking on a hyperlink in an email. I simply cannot find it in

Tbird, yet I am fairly certain it exists. I want to disable that behavior. I want to decide when

I switch over to the browser. It has become common practice for me to open several tabs

in FF prior to switching over...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

I THINK what you're looking for is an advanced setting in Firefox.  Go to about:config in Firefox and change the value for           browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground from false to true and see if that doesn't get you the behavior you want. 

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

Thanks! It makes sense this should work- but unfortunately it doesn't

change the behavior at all. I even tried shutting down and re-opening

FF after toggling the about:config item you mentioned.

Clutter

On 4/6/2022 at 7:54 AM, Cluttermagnet said:

Thanks! It makes sense this should work- but unfortunately it doesn't

change the behavior at all. I even tried shutting down and re-opening

FF after toggling the about:config item you mentioned.

Clutter

What happens when you right-click on the link in the email and select 'Open in new tab' ?

Cluttermagnet

That's what I've been doing all along. I always right click on the link.

The top (and only logical) choice is something like "Open link in

browser". When I select that, focus is forced to the FF browser.

If I just left click the link, I get the identical behavior, it moves

focus to the browser.

Clutter

V.T. Eric Layton

--- DISREGARD ALL THIS BELOW --- I realized that it's already been suggested/discussed here. Sorry, I'm not on top of my game lately. :(

AH! Maybe I didn't quite understand your issue from the original posting, David.

It's not that your FF is opening links; it's that it steals the focus from Thunderbird when it does so. Is that correct?

There's a setting in FF -> about:config -> browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground. On my system, I have that set to False and FF does not steal focus away from Thunderbird when I click on an email link. That's the way I want it to work on my system. If this is what you're looking for, try changing the True/False setting and see if that makes any difference.

If I'm still misunderstanding your issue, just ignore me. I haven't had enough bourbon yet this evening. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet
On 4/8/2022 at 7:53 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

--- DISREGARD ALL THIS BELOW --- I realized that it's already been suggested/discussed here. Sorry, I'm not on top of my game lately. :(

AH! Maybe I didn't quite understand your issue from the original posting, David.

It's not that your FF is opening links; it's that it steals the focus from Thunderbird when it does so. Is that correct?

There's a setting in FF -> about:config -> browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground. On my system, I have that set to False and FF does not steal focus away from Thunderbird when I click on an email link. That's the way I want it to work on my system. If this is what you're looking for, try changing the True/False setting and see if that makes any difference.

If I'm still misunderstanding your issue, just ignore me. I haven't had enough bourbon yet this evening. ;)

Bingo! Thank you so much, Eric. This was egg-zactly what I was looking for.

(Pardon Easter egg pun_

Clutter

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
16 hours ago, Cluttermagnet said:

Bingo! Thank you so much, Eric. This was egg-zactly what I was looking for.

Oh, COOL! :)

Cluttermagnet
On 4/20/2022 at 6:38 PM, crp said:

FF stealing clicks from TB ???

I think that kind of was what was happening. So anyway I finally got FF 'stiffled'

as Archie Bunker used to say. Yes, stiffle yourself, Firefox. Stealing indeed. Heh!

Clutter

P.S. What threw me, and I think it is counterintuitive (sorta), is that this is not

something you fix in Thunderbird- which I what I thought it would be initially.

Hmmm- let me put it this way: stealing focus.

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • +1 1

Cluttermagnet
On 4/6/2022 at 8:50 AM, glenn4uk said:

I THINK what you're looking for is an advanced setting in Firefox.  Go to about:config in Firefox and change the value for           browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground from false to true and see if that doesn't get you the behavior you want. 

I note, upon further reflection, that this fix was suggested first by Glenn-

and for some reason didn't seem to work. But perhaps I misunderstood

just how to toggle the function in about:config. So later on, Eric seems

to have suggested the same thing, and the second time around, I finally

got it right and it worked for me. Kudos to both Glenn and Eric. You guys

both know FF a lot better than I do.:sorcerer::star:

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

All credit to Glenn. I had completely misunderstood your problem till later. When I did realize it, I posted the solution; however, immediately after, I realized Glenn was "johnny on the spot" with the correct answer. :)

• +1 1