Why I use Linux Mint

mhbell

I've been asked why do you use Linux Mint. Here are my reasons why.

It is easy and quick to install. It is fast for me and very easy to use. I can do anything I need to do using it from banking to accounting. It is very stable for me and I've never had it fail or crash on me. I can configure it the way I want which I've done and have a highly customized Mint. It has all of the software I'll ever need or use. It is always up to date even though it is not a rolling release. It has never failed me. Computing is supposed to be fun and easy to use. Especially Linux. It should not be a chore to use, install, or configure. Yes I like to play with other distro's and learn, but I always return to Mint. Just my 02 cents worth.

Mel

• Like 3
  • +1 2

Although I personally prefer other distros I keep Mint around because it is so easy for Windows users to understand. The grandkids use it seamlessly for school and play. I've installed it on any old computers I have refurbed for friends and family. The Cinnamon desktop just keeps improving with each new version.

• Like 1

Mint is a pretty good distro but it is a Buntu and I do not like the way they operate. Reminds me a bit of how Microsoft is run. So I point folk to  MX if they are penguin curious. 😎

As the long time members here may know I'm using a Lenovo laptop with Mint installed (with Cinnamon desktop) as a fall back system. All I can say is Mel nails it, nuff said... keep it updated and once a in while do an upgrade and you won't have any problems with it at all. It just runs and runs and does the things you want it to do. The things I do with it are the normal things one looks for in life I guess, i.e. web browsing (Vivaldi), email (Sylpheed), social media (Signal and Telegram Desktop), Audio playing (Audacious), using an addressbook (KAdressBook), a little text processing once in a while with LibreOffice Writer, watching a video (mpv Media Player), listening to internet radio (Radiotray-ng), printing stuff if needed, that sort of things. I settled for Mint on this machine because everything I need works without issues.

• Like 2
  • +1 1

Mint uses the Ubuntu repos but they have diverged quite a bit from the Canonical way of thinking. They seem to be putting more thought and effort into the desktop than Ubuntu is right now.

MX is a very good choice as well, but I have had some problems with it if you want to install the Nvidia driver. Mint seems a bit more stable in that regard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Mint is a pretty good distro but it is a Buntu and I do not like the way they operate. Reminds me a bit of how Microsoft is run. So I point folk to  MX if they are penguin curious. 😎

You could always use LMDE which is mint Debian, no Ubuntu. It uses the Debian repos.

• Agree 1

Guest Mauser

I tried Linux Mint once but it was the Xfce version. For me, it has it's pros and cons. I didn't like it because for me it booted very slow, slower than Windows 98se, thumbnails didn't work but I fixed that on my own, thumbnails took a very long time to populate when I first opened a directory after a fresh boot-up, I didn't like "slick greeter", no way to move it to the center of the screen and it didn't come with startup sound option, seemed like the developers were not interested and reluctant on improving any version of Linux Mint except for the Cinnamon desktop version. It wasn't for me. It looks like the way to go with Linux Mint is to go with the Cinnamon desktop version. I personally don't care for the Cinnamon desktop because there is no way to adjust the size of the application menu which it seems only Xfce has that capability.

I agree that if you want to use Mint, Cinnamon is the way to go with it. If you want Xfce, then MX has a much slicker desktop, as does Manjaro and Endeavour OS. That said, I wouldn't use Cinnamon on any other distro.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 4:22 PM, mhbell said:

You could always use LMDE which is mint Debian, no Ubuntu. It uses the Debian repos.

MX just works for me on my backup Tough Book which is ok with me no hassle and super reliable.

I am a dedicated Arch user for my main rig and that keeps me busy enough with learning how it works and tweaking it or rather stuffing it up occasionally.

I seem to be rather busy these days so do not do a great deal of alternate distro investigating. Usually only if something new or off beat catches my eye.

My objection to Mint or the Buntu's is not realy hard and firm hatred or anything. It was more that I did not want to spend time investigating what looked like another sort of closed system, a my way or no way sort of organisation. I rather fancied a play with penguins that had a much cooler way of doing things. 😎

• Like 1

Guest Mauser
13 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I agree that if you want to use Mint, Cinnamon is the way to go with it. If you want Xfce, then MX has a much slicker desktop, as does Manjaro and Endeavour OS. That said, I wouldn't use Cinnamon on any other distro.

Manjaro comes broken. I would only recommend Manjaro to someone that wants to accept the challenge of fixing a broken operating system and or liars.  

I've had Manjaro running in VBox for quite a while and it seems stable enough. I have always thought they did a good job with the Xfce desktop. I don't like some of the attitude in their forums but that is another matter.

On 4/3/2022 at 4:49 AM, abarbarian said:

There is a debian based version of Mint if you dislike Ubuntu that much.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bookmem said:

There is a debian based version of Mint if you dislike Ubuntu that much.

Sorry.  I see someone already mentioned LMDE.

• Like 1

I tried Mint on an ancient (2009ish) Toshiba Satellite and it worked as expected (just fine), however when I swapped the HDD for a cheap Kingston SSD, the temps almost caused the blasted thing to self combust, and suspend? Fugget-abou-dit.. After several attempts to get the old girl to cooperate I switched to Linux Lite 5.8. I already have Linux Lite on a couple of other old decrepit laptops as well as a Dell Chromebox and no issues, at least yet.

The thing that I like about it, is I don't have to frig with it, everything works and that makes the OS almost invisible even Chrome OS like. Even my old PITA Canon MF-4770 works just fine.

I am getting too old (read - impatient and too easy to anger) to spend any more time trying out different distros as my computer usage is very modest. I think this one will last a few more years, at least until my "new refurb" windows 10 computer is no longer supported, then off to linux-land for it as well.

Edited by colin.p

Well Colin.P you could always use Mint Mate as it takes less resources to run compared to Cinnamon. You can't be older than me, but I hear you. I don't have the temperment to install something like Linux from scratch or the original Arch Linux. I do a lot of experiminting and try almost every new distro when it comes out.

Mel

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 7:00 AM, raymac46 said:

I am running Manjaro and Endeavour both with Cinnamon Desktops. No problems so far and I've been able to set both of them up with the apps that I use in Mint.

Mel

13 hours ago, mhbell said:

I am running Manjaro and Endeavour both with Cinnamon Desktops. No problems so far and I've been able to set both of them up with the apps that I use in Mint.

Mel

I don't like Cinnamon enough to use it on other distros. It's OK if you are coming from Windows, but there are lots of other good DEs.