Mail readers from the past

wa4chq

Good morning all.  Back in my early linux daze for reading email, I started first with Pine and then went to using Mutt.  My email client at the time was Netscape.  As I recall, Pine was fairly simple to setup and resembled Nano, my text editor of choice.  Then I 'saw' Mutt and had to try it.  That was more difficult (at least for me) to configure.  I found examples and finally got it working.  As it turned out, it wasn't all that difficult the fifth time around.  Those were fun times.  I think at the time you could not use Yahoo and Mutt together but I just did a quick search and see that it's possible now...and I think Gmail is too.  It looks like for old times sake, I might have to try text based email again.  Have a great day.

• +1 1

3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I am a fan of Neomutt https://neomutt.org/

I just took a quick glance at Neomutt.  I'm gonna have to revise my original post to say:  "As it turned out, it wasn't all that difficult the fifth twelfth time around."

Edited by wa4chq
  • Haha 1

I still have the pc I put together 20+ years ago.  In fact, I brought it out of storage after I moved into the house just to take a stroll down memory lane.  I was using Mutt before I put it in storage, so it's all still there.  Now it's back up in the attic.  BTW, thanks for neomutt link.

My earliest email days were in Windows, and I think Pegasus email was my first client. Later on I switched to Thunderbird and it was an easy transition to Linux email as a result. When my daughter went to university in the late 90s they were using PINE for email at that time.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

My computering roots don't go back near as far as you geek types. My first email "app" was a browser (Internet Exploder on Win 98) to access Coolmail.net back in 2000.

Carry on...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

My computering roots don't go back near as far as you geek types. My first email "app" was a browser (Internet Exploder on Win 98) to access Coolmail.net back in 2000.

Carry on...

I don't know nothing about Coolmail.net but now I wanna.  Can I do it on a floppy?

securitybreach

Now if we want to go back....my first computer was a Tandy 1000 (original) from Radio Shack running Deskmate. This thing was a beast with an 8086 processor, dual floppies and 128 KB memory :hysterical:

Since Deskmate was absolute garbage, I mainly used it to connect to Prodigy, Compuserve and many BBSs (even ran a BBS at one point).

DeskMate_3.02.JPG

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

It was actually my very first email address -> vtel57@coolmail.net. 😎

Don't laugh, but I still have (and use daily) my original Hotmail and Yahoo email accounts (also opened in 2000). I've had them so long that when they stopped providing POP3/IMAP access, they grandfathered me in. ;)

My Gmail and AIM email accounts are pretty old, too, come to thing of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Now if we want to go back....my first computer was a Tandy 1000 (original) from Radio Shack running Deskmate. This thing was a beast with an 8086 processor, dual floppies and 128 KB memory :hysterical:

Since Deskmate was absolute garbage, I mainly used it to connect to Prodigy, Compuserve and many BBSs (even ran a BBS at one point).

5 hours ago, securitybreach said:

DeskMate_3.02.JPG

Deskmate reminds me of Twin https://sourceforge.net/projects/twin/

twin on X11, with several windows and ShinyMetal theme

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 1

My first email client was "mail" on a PS1 running unix. I remember getting the floppy and thinking "why would i want this when there is chat ?".

(I also didn't understand browsers until graphical Netscape came around.)

Prodigy was my first email , shcv34c. On computer, not sure. Linux's was pine and I still use alpine on all the linux boxes i have control over.

Used Pegasus (paid for it!) and still miss some of it's features. Then SeaMonkey. Then Thunderbird. It has been years since i've used a real email client on Windows at home, i use PopPeeper and then the browser interface (webmail,roundcube, rainloop) or ssh in and use alpine.

Oh wait, I do use outlook and gmail browser interface when needed.

On smartphone I used K9 and blueMail. The msOutlook client that came out 2 years ago I actually liked and i still use the msOutlook client for my outlook accounts. 

At work i use Thunderbird on the Windows pc. (My boss still uses Eudora.)

• Like 2

Cluttermagnet
On 4/3/2022 at 1:33 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

It was actually my very first email address -> vtel57@coolmail.net. 😎

Don't laugh, but I still have (and use daily) my original Hotmail and Yahoo email accounts (also opened in 2000). I've had them so long that when they stopped providing POP3/IMAP access, they grandfathered me in. ;)

My Gmail and AIM email accounts are pretty old, too, come to thing of it.

My yahoo account goes back about 20 years also, Eric. It has always

been viewed as my 'throwaway' email addy... That being said, I am

amazed my inbox isn't more clogged up with gar-baj than it actually is.

I remember using Pegasus email client back prior to my 2007 Linux

conversion. I thought it was a pretty good software. My memory of it

is rapidly fading, however. In recent years I got lazy and made do with

various webmail clients at each ISP...

Clutter

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, mileage may vary, but I've found that Yahoo's SPAM filter is quite efficient. I NEVER see SPAM in my inbox at Yahoo. However, there's a huge pile of it in the Spam Folder... where it belongs. :)

About email clients.... I piddled around years ago with Eudora, Pegasus, and a few others, but I'm locked into Thunderbird because I have mine so customized and set up that I've never found anything else out there that does all that I want/need as well as TB does it.

• Like 1

Architecture:

Then: 8 bit

Now: 64 bit

CPU speed:

Then: 2.77 MHz

Now: 5 GHz. Multicore

RAM:

Then: 5K

Now: 128 GB and up.

Storage:

Then: Tape, ROM cartridge