Next Month it will be 19 years since I first joined the Forum

mhbell

Next Month on April 25th it will be 19 Years since I first joined the forum. As I refelect back in those early days I wonder where several of the members have gone. LiLBambi, Quint, Jeber, Teacher, RolanaJ, Kamacota, Lewmur, R'ejean, and several others. After Playing with and trying to get Minix to work in the 90's I started to mess with SuSe Comercial versions and Mandrake I was using OS2 and warp as my daily driver at that time. I finally got Mandrake to work along with SuSe when I joined the forum. Over the years I have tried and installed over 200 different Linux Distros. I used SuSe commercial versions up till version 10 when I had a crash and lost everything. I started using Ubuntu and switched to Mint when it first came out. I've used Mint as my primary OS and  Seduction as my Secondary OS ever since. I tried Arch Linux, but didn't like it. I did like Manjaro with the Cinnamon DE. I prefer the Distro's derived from Debian and Ubuntu. I still play with other versions as the new ones are released, but always return to Mint. I've not been to active for the past few years in the forum since I've been restoring RV's mostly travel trailers, but as I am getting older and find it harder to do I'm starting to return to Linux and the computer. As I went back through my earlier posts I find some are missing. Probably lost when the forum crashed years ago.

Mel

• Like 6

Thanks for the Info security. Sorry to hear about Fran. Many of us Seniors are getting up in years I'm 83 I think I am about the second Oldest member age wise.

Mel

• +1 1

Nice to see you @mhbell! I've been here 19 years in a couple of weeks.

8 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I remember 44... somewhat. ;)

Ah yes, that was around when I had a 25 YO girlfriend. You're only as young as (nsfw). Feeling somewhat older now. 😐

• Like 1

Many of 'us' came around here somewhere in 2003 I think, and found feeling at home for the next years to come. Much things in live changed through the years, but many of the members come by here everyday or so. Something like a home base. 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
13 minutes ago, striker said:

Many of 'us' came around here somewhere in 2003 I think, and found feeling at home for the next years to come. Much things in live changed through the years, but many of the members come by here everyday or so. Something like a home base. 

Well I didn't join until 2004 but you are 100% right. I've been a member of many things over the years online that have came and went. Some have ceased to exist while I simply just lost interest in others. I started to try to give a reason why I have been here almost every single day since 2004 but there are so many reasons that just mentioning one wouldn't feel right.  It's been routine for so long that honestly I do not think about until it's mentioned or we almost lose it (Thanks @Will Watts). Hard to believe that in August it will be 18 years that I have been here.

• Like 2
  • +1 1

I'm a few years behind you Mel. I'll be 75 this summer. I joined Scot's in May 2003 so it will be 19 years for me too looking in on this site almost daily.

I don't run linux but I do have 2 android tablets, an android phone and a chromebook so I run a subset of linux without the headaches of having to update it myself. I no longer want to tweak; I just want to turn on a device and use it without any headaches. The hardest thing was figuring out how to print from an android device! After giving up, I sent an email to a tech writer whose weekly newsletter I get. He pointed me in the right direction and after a year and a half of struggling to print anything, it worked. The chromebook was so much easier...it just worked.

• Like 2

Horror's of horror's, I have added a windows computer into the mix of several old beat up linux computers. To be honest, for what I use a computer for, I don't find much difference other than having messages about finding no viruses. A Chromebook would probably suffice except I am not fond of Google getting tired of supporting things and just dropping them inexplicably so no Google stuff for me, or at the very least, less as possible.

I'm not fond of VM's and dual or multi-booting was a PITA, so I have several old (circa 2007-10) computers using a mix of LinuxLite, Zorin or Mint. I waste enough time as it is.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 2:06 PM, mhbell said:

I used SuSe commercial versions up till version 10 when I had a crash and lost everything.

Mel, I'm still with SuSE (now OpenSuse) after all these years. I'm starting to agree with Liz though--I'm not sure how much longer I'll last with the biennial operating system installations. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zlim said:

I'm a few years behind you Mel. I'll be 75 this summer. I joined Scot's in May 2003 so it will be 19 years for me too looking in on this site almost daily.

I don't run linux but I do have 2 android tablets, an android phone and a chromebook so I run a subset of linux without the headaches of having to update it myself. I no longer want to tweak; I just want to turn on a device and use it without any headaches. The hardest thing was figuring out how to print from an android device! After giving up, I sent an email to a tech writer whose weekly newsletter I get. He pointed me in the right direction and after a year and a half of struggling to print anything, it worked. The chromebook was so much easier...it just worked.

I don't see the problem.  I run both Windows and Mint and updating Mint is FAR easier than Windows.  The only reason I have a Windows box is that there are good Android emulators for Windows and I want to run some of the same apps that I have on my Android tablets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ebrke said:

Mel, I'm still with SuSE (now OpenSuse) after all these years. I'm starting to agree with Liz though--I'm not sure how much longer I'll last with the biennial operating system installations. 

I still Download SuSe and install it to one of  my ssd disks. I try it for a couple of days and delete it. If I have to jump through hoops to use or install a distro, It is not worth my time to mess with it. This was one of the reasons I got rid of Windows. I prefer the distros derived from Debian or Ubuntu. My daily driver is Mint Cinnamon. Never had a failure with it and it is fast on my computers and it just works with no problems. I've used it ever since it first came out. I try and play with other Distros, but not have found one that is easier to install or use than Mint for what I do with a computer.

Mel

Edited by mhbell
spelling
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, ebrke said:

I'm not sure how much longer I'll last with the biennial operating system installations. 

Heh! You need to run Slackware. Those pesky upgrades of the OS are few and far between. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton
44 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

when I was 12 years younger than I am now!

Interesting coincidence... I, too, was 12 years younger back in 2010. That was not a good year for me. Sadly, the next 11 years weren't a whole heck-of-a-lot better. :(

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Interesting coincidence... I, too, was 12 years younger back in 2010. That was not a good year for me. Sadly, the next 11 years weren't a whole heck-of-a-lot better. :(

Hope things improve for you in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Interesting coincidence... I, too, was 12 years younger back in 2010.

No way, so I was ;)

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Was 2003 when the lady who bought a red dress when "SCO" took a knockout blow in the IBM/Linux lawsuit closed her forum?

I think a few people came here when she closed.

I joined 2003 also.

Edited by crp
  • Like 2

Hedon James
22 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

OMG, I was also 12 years younger in 2010!  I'm starting to wonder if this is a "pi" thing....you know, find the square root of the circumference of a circle and the answer is always a constant 3.14(ish)?!  LOL!!!

As to the 2nd part, the other 11 years, you are still here to grace us with your wit and humor, 2 things that I value in a friendship (even virtual ones!), so perhaps those years are better than you realize?  Glad you're still here, cuz you make MY years better!  😎

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton
13 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Hanging out in downtown Cadiz

Wow! That little fellow definitely has no age-related prostate issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton
24 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

Glad you're still here, cuz you make MY years better!  😎

Hmm... you've softened my "crabby" Monday attitude a bit. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 4:47 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Heh! You need to run Slackware. Those pesky upgrades of the OS are few and far between. ;)

Ya 5 years since the  release of 14.2 current release is 15.0 I downloaded both the live and full 15.0 yesterday and will post a review of them in another post.

Mel

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I haven't upgraded to 15 because a while back I was running current and I found a few things about the new version of Xfce that I did not like. I'll stick with 14.2, which is still being maintained, for a while longer, I believe.