Converts??

wa4chq

securitybreach

Yeah at least 15 that I can remember. Most are still using Linux. I have cousins, uncles, friends and coworkers who I moved to linux.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Don't feel bad, you still have time....

lol....at 65, times not on my side!  Cool that you've turned a few.  I've talked about Linux to my windows family and friends but I think they believe it's voodoo or something.  Yet a few of them have gone to using Apple...  I'm glad I saw the light.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes certainly have.

My niece used a Live Knoppix on her gov laptop ten years ago so that she could do stuff with her iTunes. Being a gov laptop of course the IT numpties did not lock it down 😂

Me sis is using MX on a CF-19 ToughBook so she can read recipes whilst cooking.

Me neighbour has just asked me to update a usb stick with the latest MX, he finds it far superior to Windows and a darn sight cheaper.

😎

Best way to convert Windows users is when their Windows stuffs up and they ask for help. Tell them you do not have the knowledge or time at the moment, then give them a usb with a Live distro to keep them going. 😎

• Like 3

I have refurbed a number of old PCs with Linux and given them away to folks who could not afford anything else. I have also converted old hardware that owners have replaced so that they have a second machine or a backup.

The only other time I would try to convert a Windows user is if they have old unsupported hardware or they are using EOL software like Windows 7. I use Windows myself so I have no real axe to grind if there is the possibility to keep it updated.

One painless way to introduce people to Linux is to get them to use non-Microsoft cross platform programs like Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre Office, GIMP. My grandkids use the Google suite at school so whether it's Linux, Windows, Chromebook they don't care.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Best way to convert Windows users is when their Windows stuffs up and they ask for help. Tell them you do not have the knowledge or time at the moment, then give them a usb with a Live distro to keep them going. 😎

The windows users asking for my help when something messed up are just glad the mess was sorted out.  Suggesting they try a live distro?  "Why, there's nothing wrong with the computer now!"  😆 

V.T. Eric Layton
14 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Has anyone here ever converted a Windows user over to Linux?

Yes, numerous folks, actually.

10 hours ago, wa4chq said:

lol....at 65, times not on my side!

Time is on NO ONE'S side.

___

It's funny, but the vast majority of folks that I've converted to GNU/Linux were a result of a few things...

- their absolute HATRED of MS Windows caused by the aggravation of the too common update-failures

- they just want something "that works" with minimal hassles

- my fading knowledge/understanding of how newer versions of MS Windows work

#3 above is critical for them, though. "If Eric doesn't understand how Windows works because he hasn't used it regularly in 16 years, then I should probably listen to him and try this Linux thing he keeps talking about." None of the folks I've converted (to mostly Ubuntu or Mint) have ever looked back. It also DRASTICALLY cut down on my Family/Friends IT calls. I'm like the Maytag repairman these days. ;)

hqdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 4

Well, I've never gotten to the point where I can be totally hands off with all my Linux converts. They NEVER upgrade to a new release, or they do something weird with WINE, or they want to do something totally off the grid like recording audiobooks for someone else. They also may want to install new hardware like a printer without checking if it's suitable. So if you convert them you better be ready to support them.

Note this is geting easier now with automatic updates and better hardware support like driverless CUPS. Also young kids and Millennium smartphone users have become more O/S agnostic - so getting them to try Linux is often easier than dyed in the wool Windows golden agers.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Wait! I'm not dead yet, just snoozing. I shouldn't be attracting flies. Oh, wait... it has been a few days since I bathed last. That might be the cause.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Wait! I'm not dead yet, just snoozing. I shouldn't be attracting flies. Oh, wait... it has been a few days since I bathed last. That might be the cause.

Bathing is no big deal. It must be over twenty years since I had a bath. 🤓

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

securitybreach
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Bathing is no big deal. It must be over twenty years since I had a bath. 🤓

Yup. I can wash myself in the shower faster than it takes for the water to be deep enough to submerge me. It's just make logical sense to do so.

• Agree 1

For that fresh feeling when I was still living on the boat, I'd conserve water by sloshing meself (and my dirty clothes) with Jade East cologne.... no lie.

Jade-East.jpg

• Haha 2