Slackware 15 LIVES!

V.T. Eric Layton

45 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

My preferred tools for disk work are fdisk and partd. There's not much that I can't do with those two. But then, Josh is correct about the fact that you still have to pay attention to what you're doing, or UGLINESS can result. ;)

I used to use fdisk all the time,  especially with Slack...that's how we got the partition setup.

• Agree 1

On 2/5/2022 at 7:22 AM, wa4chq said:

OK...  I notice tho sometimes an article about putting a distro onto a thumb drive will say something like this https://techcolleague.com/how-to-create-a-bootable-debian-linux-on-a-usb-flash-drive/  Scroll down to "Transfer the image file to your computer" That's why I did it.  I used Gparted than dd.  But if it's not necessary, I won't do the next time.

i make it a habit to do so, just to make sure nothing- absolutely nothing- is hanging around.

39 minutes ago, crp said:

i make it a habit to do so, just to make sure nothing- absolutely nothing- is hanging around.

Again, pointless to format when overwriting the entire disk with a disk image.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, sunrat said:

Again, pointless to format when overwriting the entire disk with a disk image.

make sure it is good and gone.  actually would need a few more , but good enough for most cases. just need to see a harddrive have its grooves checked once to become a believer in double down. and i still don't get how a malware survived on a SSD, my bet would be it has something to do with hidden system partitions that don't give up the charge all the way.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, crp said:

Back to the real topic - Slackware is the oldest active distro?

Yes sir. Beats Debian by a couple of months.