Slackware 15 LIVES!

V.T. Eric Layton

I just finished downloading and installing Slackware 15 live to a thumb drive.  It looks pretty cool.  I booted to it on my lappy.  I was gonna post the news from the lappy but I got locked out of Bruno's because I forgot the password...lol....anyway, when I can log in I will do an official Slackware 15 live post.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I formatted flash drive as fat 32 and then used dd to install the slack iso

dd will totally overwrite the whole drive so no point formatting it first. 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I think he means the link to your video... it's MP4, @burninbush.

OH...I knew that...lol  With Firefox, I can right click on the link, then hit on "Inspect Accessibility Properties" and it gives the info

8 hours ago, sunrat said:

dd will totally overwrite the whole drive so no point formatting it first. 😉

true but I guess I meant I formatted the drive as fat32 and not ext4

Edited by wa4chq

securitybreach
1 hour ago, wa4chq said:

true but I guess I meant I formatted the drive as fat32 and not ext4

Yeah but what he was referring to is that dd doesn't care what format the drive is in as it literally overwrites it with whatever the ISO uses.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Yeah but what he was referring to is that dd doesn't care what format the drive is in as it literally overwrites it with whatever the ISO uses.

OK...  I notice tho sometimes an article about putting a distro onto a thumb drive will say something like this https://techcolleague.com/how-to-create-a-bootable-debian-linux-on-a-usb-flash-drive/  Scroll down to "Transfer the image file to your computer" That's why I did it.  I used Gparted than dd.  But if it's not necessary, I won't do the next time.

Edited by wa4chq

6 hours ago, wa4chq said:

OK...  I notice tho sometimes an article about putting a distro onto a thumb drive will say something like this https://techcolleague.com/how-to-create-a-bootable-debian-linux-on-a-usb-flash-drive/

That's a terrible tutorial.

They say to rename file from .iso to .img - dd will write the data no matter what the filename. Even some silly name like toast.yum would work.

And as mentioned, dd overwrites the whole USB drive, pointless to format.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, sunrat said:

They say to rename file from .iso to .img - dd will write the data no matter what the filename. Even some silly name like toast.yum would work.

And as mentioned, dd overwrites the whole USB drive, pointless to format.

I never renamed the .iso to .img....I found it worked with both.  I am still wondering why they suggest formatting the drive to anything it it isn't necessary.  Gparted gives you the option to format the drive to something.  I understand using dd overwrites the USB drive.  I always used dd. Another example using gparted.  

10 hours ago, sunrat said:

Yup defo a terrible article. I wonder which terrible guide he followed to gain that knowledge. I looked at some of his other articles and he does redeem himself in his,

Best Linux Window Manager

article where he has Window Maker as his second choice of best in the field. 😁

8 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I never renamed the .iso to .img....I found it worked with both.  I am still wondering why they suggest formatting the drive to anything it it isn't necessary.  Gparted gives you the option to format the drive to something.  I understand using dd overwrites the USB drive.  I always used dd. Another example using gparted.  

All of those methods are just so old fashioned and time consuming. Get yourself a 8 or 16 GB usb stick or larger and give VENTOY a run.

Create A Bootable USB Drive By Simply Copying The ISO To The USB With Ventoy (Linux And Windows)

https://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?/topic/79474-linux-fringe-distros/&do=findComment&comment=468605

😜

3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

All of those methods are just so old fashioned and time consuming. Get yourself a 8 or 16 GB usb stick or larger and give VENTOY a run.

Create A Bootable USB Drive By Simply Copying The ISO To The USB With Ventoy (Linux And Windows)

https://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?/topic/79474-linux-fringe-distros/&do=findComment&comment=468605

😜

Tnx abarbarian.  I think I've seen that before.  If fact, I think there was something like that I found a while back in a round about way while searching DistroWatch.  One of the distros I was looking at referred to it....  Same with the persitence feature, I like that feature.  Checking out the Ventoy link, it looks like it creates a fat fs on the drive.  As far as being the old fashioned way, I still have to download the .iso and then put it on the drive using .dd....that's the slow part that can't be avoided.  Running Gparted takes a minute??  It's all good.  Back in the day, I was trying every distro there was.  Now I only do it every blue moon.  I still have Parted Magic in my laptop bag for an emergency.  I put it on a thumb when it was a free download.  Well, there haven't been too many emergencies requiring it. lol.  Anyone remember Knoppix?  That was an interesting distro.  I also have VM and toyed with it a few years ago...I can't remember the last time I did anything with it.  Do folks using Windows have as much fun as us Linux folks?  Heck no!  lol   Have a great Sunday and tnx again for the links.

securitybreach
26 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

Do folks using Windows have as much fun as us Linux folks?  Heck no!  lol

Most think computers are just buggy, not realizing its the software that they are running. These are the same people who buy a new computer every couple of years, not realizing its windows deteriorating. If they knew how to reinstall it, there computer would be like new again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Most think computers are just buggy, not realizing its the software that they are running. These are the same people who buy a new computer every couple of years, not realizing its windows deteriorating. If they knew how to reinstall it, there computer would be like new again.

I couldn't tell you how many times my folks and friends have had issues with their setup.  Between the OS and virus protection etc.... If I didn't constantly feel the need to tweak my setup, it'd run forever  lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wa4chq said:

and then put it on the drive using .dd....that's the slow part that can't be avoided. 

No you don't. There is no "dd'ing" with ventoy. You simply download the ,iso and then copy and paste it to your ventoy usb stick. you can add as many .iso's as will fit on the usb. Don't need a .iso anymore then just delete it. 😎

40 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

No you don't. There is no "dd'ing" with ventoy. You simply download the ,iso and then copy and paste it to your ventoy usb stick. you can add as many .iso's as will fit on the usb. Don't need a .iso anymore then just delete it. 😎

OK, I see.  So using Ventoy will reduce my caffeine content among other things.  When I do it using .dd, I have time to get up from the chair, make coffee, hit the head, and run up to the store for grub.  By the time I get back, it may be finished.  😉  Too bad Ventoy with the persistince feature only works for certain distros....  I'll certainly check it out.  Thanks, Abarbarian! 🤜🤛  👍

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I always considered that dd command to stand for "definitely dangerous". I've rarely had a need to used dd. There are safer options. However, for you super-dooper experienced tech weenies out there, it's OK. ;)

• Like 1

dd is commonly referred to as "disk destroyer". I use cp instead to write images, less keystrokes. 😉 Probably equally likely to destroy disks as dd though.

cp image.iso /dev/sdX ; sync

• Like 1

securitybreach
3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I always considered that dd command to stand for "definitely dangerous". I've rarely had a need to used dd. There are safer options. However, for you super-dooper experienced tech weenies out there, it's OK. ;)

Nah, you just have to pay attention to which drive you modifying. I've been using dd to write drives for years now. Just hesitate and pay attention before hitting enter.

2 hours ago, sunrat said:

I use cp instead to write images, less keystrokes.

Nah, its only a few

dd bs=8M if=/dev/sd* of=/dev/sd* status=progress

Replace source and destination with drive letters

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Anyone remember Knoppix? 

Yup, I did a luverly write up about it here some time ago. It was the distro that helped me on my way to penguin paradise.

Knoppix enabled live operation long before the live installation media from Ubuntu & Co.

6 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Nah, you just have to pay attention to which drive you modifying. I've been using dd to write drives for years now. Just hesitate and pay attention before hitting enter.

Yup, using dd is just like driving a car, you need to pay attention to what you are doing. 😛

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Knoppix was kinda the Swiss Army Knife.  Years ago, when Comp USA was in our area I'd go there for books on Linux.  They left and so I'd head over to Barnes and Noble.  I don't think I bought the book, but I remember the one devoted to Knoppix.  I also remember some of the Linux books were thicker than the DC phone book!  Caldera, Mandrake etc...some would come with cd's.  lol

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

My preferred tools for disk work are fdisk and partd. There's not much that I can't do with those two. But then, Josh is correct about the fact that you still have to pay attention to what you're doing, or UGLINESS can result. ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1