I'm hole again

wa4chq

Greetin's all.  Well true to my nature, I could not let the spare Raspberry Pi I had laying around go unused.  And also true to my nature, I had to get Pihole working.  Well, I finally figured out the problem and the solution was quite simple.  I needed to disable DHCP on my router and enable it on the Rpi.  Also, when assigning a static IP on the Pi, I had it outside of the IP range of the router.  The IP range on the router starts at 192.168.0.10 and I had the static IP below that.  So  I reassigned a new static IP on the Pi and rebooted everything and voila!  I'm a happy Piholer!  pihole_in_action

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 7:45 AM, wa4chq said:

Greetin's all.  Well true to my nature, I could not let the spare Raspberry Pi I had laying around go unused.  And also true to my nature, I had to get Pihole working.  Well, I finally figured out the problem and the solution was quite simple.  I needed to disable DHCP on my router and enable it on the Rpi.  Also, when assigning a static IP on the Pi, I had it outside of the IP range of the router.  The IP range on the router starts at 192.168.0.10 and I had the static IP below that.  So  I reassigned a new static IP on the Pi and rebooted everything and voila!  I'm a happy Piholer!  pihole_in_action

still in use?

CRP, here are two screen shotz.  One shows how it normally looks and the other shows how it looks now.  I had the same problem last year when I set pihole up for the first time.  For the life of me I cannot find the lines they talk about in code.

First photo is what the tiny screen on the pi looks like when the display is right.  The second is a screenshot showing how it looks with the error output.

https://qsl.net/wa4chq/padd_2.jpg

padd_2.jpg

padd_1.jpg

The display is not necessary on the pi because I would normally check the vitals online but I had the small display and I thought I'd use it.  The second pic shows the vitals from the cli

Hey SB....I know what I was doing to cause the problem, at least I think I have solved it.  The display is small, almost the size of the RPi3 board.  When I ran the command for the display, called 'padd.sh', I was doing it remotely using ssh.  Initially the display on the pi would be correct, then after a couple of hours or less it would look like the second pic in my post.  But, if I plug a keyboard directly into the Pi and execute padd.sh, it will display padd(tiny).  So far after almost ten hours uptime, it still looks right.  Fingers crossed.

21 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

I was referring to all the "command not found" as shown below:

zCqkuNt.png

yes, and I think got those errors because I was starting PADD remotely.  I believe the code has things for the display that it finds on the Rpi.  So because I was running padd.sh remotely, I reckon it was defaulting to a large display instead of what is actually attached to the Pi. 

@@ -944,9 +944,9 @@ SizeChecker(){
  # Below Tiny. Gives you Mini.
  elif [[ "$console_width" -lt "53" || "$console_height" -lt "20" ]]; then
      padd_size="mini"
  # Below Slim. Gives you Tiny.    
  # Below Slim. Gives you Tiny.
  elif [[ "$console_width" -lt "60" || "$console_height" -lt "21" ]]; then
      padd_size="tiny"    
      padd_size="tiny"
  # Below Regular. Gives you Slim.
  elif [[ "$console_width" -lt "80" || "$console_height" -lt "26" ]]; then
    if [[ "$console_height" -lt "22" ]]; then

I just randomly grabbed this from PADD.  But it does show things about size.  This might shed some light.  I don't know how to code so I really don't know what I'm reading but I understand a little bit.  This might be helpful...  https://github.com/pi-hole/PADD/commit/34d2393ef1467a209221ab215e805fe89ebe2bd7

Edited by wa4chq

securitybreach
10 hours ago, wa4chq said:

yes, and I think got those errors because I was starting PADD remotely.  I believe the code has things for the display that it finds on the Rpi.  So because I was running padd.sh remotely, I reckon it was defaulting to a large display instead of what is actually attached to the Pi. 

Do you not ssh into the Pi and then run the application?

5 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Do you not ssh into the Pi and then run the application?

That is what I had been doing before attaching the small display, that and using the web interface.   But I found I could not do both without having those command not found messages.   I will ssh to Pi for other minor things like the adding a cron job to have the display sleep starting at midnight and turning back on at 8 a.m..  I also added padd to /.bashrc so now if pihole has to reboot, padd will start magically.  I won't be home till tomorrow sometime so I won't know if the display sleeps/comes on....lol...it better!!!  lol  excuse typos, I'm typing this and talking at the same time....

Yes, but are you using a small display attached to Pi?  When I didn't have the display attached, I was doing the same thing as you and getting the results like you....

securitybreach
4 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

Yes, but are you using a small display attached to Pi?  When I didn't have the display attached, I was doing the same thing as you and getting the results like you....

Nah, I do not have any displays attached to my Pi. I just keep a (gnu)screen session running and have PADD on one of the tabs.

d72rWh5.png

12 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Nah, I do not have any displays attached to my Pi. I just keep a (gnu)screen session running and have PADD on one of the tabs.

d72rWh5.png

I bought the small display a few years ago.  I'm not sure what I had in mind at the time for using it with the RPi.  So it sat there for years until the Pihole project.  So that's how I'm using the display.  2.8" display

• +1 1

securitybreach
9 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I bought the small display a few years ago.  I'm not sure what I had in mind at the time for using it with the RPi.  So it sat there for years until the Pihole project.  So that's how I'm using the display.  2.8" display

Nice

28 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Nice

OK, I remember now why I bought it.  It was just after I bought the RPi and I read something about using the pi with a display for some sort of jukebox.  Well that really wasn't anything exciting so I just scrapped the idea...It's all fun.

• +1 1

8 hours ago, crp said:

wonder if 

;  then

is valid.

I don't understand coding, I mean I can do really, really basic stuff but nothing like padd.sh!!!    I wonder if there's a clue in the code on lines 4,7,10,13,15...  But like I mentioned before, padd.sh works fine if I ssh to pi alone, but not if the tiny display is attached.  When I have the tiny display attached and then ssh from the computer in ham shack central, the problem shows up on the small display.pihole_display.jpg

• Like 1

OK, I just ssh'd from hamshack central and issued padd.sh.  You can see what happens.  The small display on the pi now shows the error as well.

pihole_error.jpg

Edited by wa4chq

OK, I just terminated padd.sh running from ham shack central and now the small display on the pi is back to normal.....  Maybe this wouldn't happen if I didn't live in Virginia!

securitybreach
3 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

OK, I just terminated padd.sh running from ham shack central and now the small display on the pi is back to normal.....  Maybe this wouldn't happen if I didn't live in Virginia!

Or if you didnt try to run two instances of it at the same time ;)

19 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Or if you didnt try to run two instances of it at the same time ;)

Exactly...  I don't think it was meant to work that way.  The web interface is available if I feel the need to look while sitting in ham shack central.  I have the pihole/display combo over by the router in the tv room.  I friend and wife stopped by yesterday for a visit and he saw I had bought a tv.  (I haven't owned one for a very long time)  He noticed the small display and started to pick it up.  I don't have a case to hold pi and display together so the display is attached to the pi by a short piece of ribbon cable.  I thought for sure if he had picked it up, the pi would have been jerked off the table and sent crashing to the ground.  I would not have been happy....lol

• Like 1