if you ever wonder why ransomware and cyber breakins keep happening

crp

let me introduce you to the company i work at.

today i found out that there was a virtual machine running Windows7. On the network. In the domain. Without current antivirus. Connected to the Internet. with the default and used login of a Domain Admin.

keep in mind we got hit with ransom ware 11 months ago and did not really recover. we are half (maybe 40%) of the size we were a year ago.

oh, and why did this setup exist? the homegrown application needed 32bit ODBC drivers to do the transactions - yes, transactions. This machine was taking in creditcard numbers and getting them verified online.

Now you know why these cyber breakins just don't stop.

• Sad 2
  • Confused 1
  • +1 2

V.T. Eric Layton
13 hours ago, crp said:

Seems like a clear case of STUPIDITY, which is the common denominator in most commercial and private virus/malware infestations. You'd think people would learn...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, crp said:

the homegrown application needed 32bit ODBC drivers to do the transactions - yes, transactions. This machine was taking in creditcard numbers and getting them verified online.

Ouch!

On 1/12/2022 at 8:39 PM, crp said:

let me introduce you to the company i work at.

today i found out that there was a virtual machine running Windows7. On the network. In the domain. Without current antivirus. Connected to the Internet. with the default and used login of a Domain Admin.

keep in mind we got hit with ransom ware 11 months ago and did not really recover. we are half (maybe 40%) of the size we were a year ago.

oh, and why did this setup exist? the homegrown application needed 32bit ODBC drivers to do the transactions - yes, transactions. This machine was taking in creditcard numbers and getting them verified online.

At  my retail store,I pay a yearly fee (very inexpensive) to be PCI compliant. Matter of fact, if I'm not PCI compliant, the company that processes my credit card transactions fines me monthly. (very expensive) Speaking for Florida, USA

unbelievably,  they actually listened to me about this.  boss frontburned the programmer to get it done and Friday morning it was on a W10 with current AV. (now if i can only get the tightVNC people to start paying attention to my messages ...)

• Like 1