Verizon Custom Experience: It tracks every website you visit and every app you use.

securitybreach

securitybreach

YSK That if you are a Verizon Wireless customer in the US, a new program launched today called Verizon Custom Experience. It tracks every website you visit and every app you use. The program automatically enrolls all customers, who must specifically opt out if they don't want to be tracked.

If you prefer to keep your browsing habits private, you should consider opting out. There is essentially no benefit to giving away your information to Verizon Wireless. Unlike with other sites, where one can at least argue targeted ads pay for free services, with this Verizon program, you are essentially receiving nothing in return for giving up your privacy.

This article provides instructions on how to opt out using the Verizon app

Try this link on the website

You can also try this link on their website to opt out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/YouShouldKnow/comments/rwc069/ysk_that_if_you_are_a_verizon_wireless_customer/

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

Unfortunately schemes like this have been pretty common for years.

Hitwise (owned by Experian at the time) used to buy up a huge amount of clickstream data from ISPs across the world, especially in the days before HTTPS. The move to HTTPS massively changed the company, as ISPs weren't able to collect the same clickstream data and sell it.

The workaround - buy data from antivirus companies, as these could work as "man in the middle" programs and bypass the HTTPS authentication. Avast were a big proponent of this via their Jumpshot company, and used to sell to multiple companies (I believe including Hitwise).

• Like 2
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
19 hours ago, Will Watts said:

Unfortunately schemes like this have been pretty common for years.

Indeed. Surveillance Capitalism at it's finest.

• Like 3

Funny thing is, I just saw 3 hours worth of a documentary about the United States Mass Surveillance Program which Edward Snowden leaked. Hope there was an opt out option for tracking in the SIMs in my country too 😔

• Like 3

I hate it when the internet and technology (IMHO) sometimes takes your privacy for granted. This  is why I chose Linux and choose to not go on twitter or facebook. My choice , your mileage may vary. But as a private citizen I try to look at both sides. Again we have either zero surveillance , full surveillance , or a balance in between. Zero would be ideal if all people were good but , unfortunately we know better. Full could expose everyone who ever goes on the internet or make a private phone call. Maybe this is even worse than the zero scenario.  Where or if does a balance lie to satisfy all or most of  us. Well we all again know there is no happy middle ground. This "information world" that technology has  brought both is a double edged sword. It started with TV ratings and progressed to where we are today. Yes, even an innocent TV survey give someone remotely information about you. We give our  information out  every single day of our lives.

I hope the "good Guys" have good intentions and can contain the evil doers. We cannot go back in time although there are times I wish we could. Hey,  someone in technology please invent a time machine. I would be for that.

jolphil

• Like 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Sadly, I don't think there will be any solutions any time soon. Unfortunately, I cannot go into this any deeper as it would violate Scot's "no politics" discussion rule. Bottom line, though, is that I'm quite jaded and cynical about many things in this world these days. A few years from now, we may all be looking back on the "good ol' days" of 2021.

• Like 1