Firefox Crashing on Linux OSº

Ritzy

Since updating my OS Firefox has been crashing several times a day, not sure whats causing it and wondered if anyone has heard if FF is having issues on Linux.

Im running Firefox 94.0 (64 bit) on Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon (version 5.0.7)

Thanks

securitybreach

I would delete the config folder. I have to do this once in a while after updating Firefox. It's at /home/username/.config/Mozilla

Once that is done, just log back into Firefox and all your stuff will come back.

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

just log back into Firefox and all your stuff will come back.

BEWARE! This will ONLY work if you're using Firefox Recovery. If you have that disabled, you'll lose all your settings by deleting that config.

While Josh's (SecurityBreach) advice is OK, I would do one think first before using that nuke option. I would start FF in Safe Mode:

> Menu --> Help --> Troubleshoot mode

This will restart FF without your extensions running. If it's more stable like that, then it's possible you have a corrupted extension that is misbehaving with the new FF update.

It's VERY rare for me to have to nuke a config file for FF. I've been using the same config for years. I even have backups of it. I do this because my FF is VERY customized, and it's a pain in the rear area to re-do all that from scratch. If you don't have many custom settings in your FF, then the nuke option would probably be the way to go... quick and easy.

Oh, and WELCOME to Scot's! Corrine alerted us to you signing up so that one of us could approve your application quickly. I took care of it this morning. :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
47 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

It's VERY rare for me to have to nuke a config file for FF. I've been using the same config for years. I even have backups of it. I do this because my FF is VERY customized, and it's a pain in the rear area to re-do all that from scratch. If you don't have many custom settings in your FF, then the nuke option would probably be the way to go... quick and easy.

Oh, and WELCOME to Scot's! Corrine alerted us to you signing up so that one of us could approve your application quickly. I took care of it this morning. :)

Well Slackware doesn't update Firefox as often as Archlinux.

Welcome to the forums Ritzy :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Well Slackware doesn't update Firefox as often as Archlinux.

HAHA! That's for sure. Slackware 14.2 is still using an ancient ESR version.

I install and update FF regularly via a script a fellow on LQ.org wrote for that purpose. It's cool because it tracks and updates all dependencies, also. Makes life easy-peasy, the way I like it. ;)

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

Good advice about trying Safe Mode.

I also have had the same config for very many years. Never have crashes.

Then I just use the default Firefox ESR in Debian which currently is v78.15.0esr . I know there are several methods of running the latest version, easiest being to add the Ubuntuzilla repo, but I don't see the point when current ESR Just Works®.

• +1 1

12 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I would delete the config folder. I have to do this once in a while after updating Firefox. It's at /home/username/.config/Mozilla

Once that is done, just log back into Firefox and all your stuff will come back.

Thanks much for this advise. However, I dont have a Mozilla folder inside the -config folder. I was just going to rename it and see if it worked, I could then get rid of the new one and name the old one back if there were issues right? 

• +1 1

Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. 

It looks like I might have found the culprit though, it was crashing when a tab was heavy in moving graphics and Ive just read the FF release blog that describes "Switching the Linux graphics stack from GLX to EGL", it is since this update that the crashes started, anyone think this could be the cause? https://mozillagfx.wordpress.com/2021/10/30/switching-the-linux-graphics-stack-from-glx-to-egl/ 

Edited by Ritzy
context
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

BEWARE! This will ONLY work if you're using Firefox Recovery. If you have that disabled, you'll lose all your settings by deleting that config.

Thank you for the welcome, Id like to ensure I do have Recovery enabled but (call me dumb) I cant find where I would enable it, can you point me in the right direction please?

• Like 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, Ritzy said:

Thank you for the welcome, Id like to ensure I do have Recovery enabled but (call me dumb) I cant find where I would enable it, can you point me in the right direction please?

I think he is referring to signing into Firefox which saves all your bookmarks and addons. That way, when you sign back into Firefox, all your profile gets reloaded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

securitybreach
2 hours ago, Ritzy said:

Thanks much for this advise. However, I dont have a Mozilla folder inside the -config folder. I was just going to rename it and see if it worked, I could then get rid of the new one and name the old one back if there were issues right? 

Its a hidden folder inside of your home drive. Note the . before the directory

5hDZY07.png

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Its a hidden folder inside of your home drive. Note the . before the directory

5hDZY07.png

You gave him the wrong directory above: 

17 hours ago, securitybreach said:

It's at /home/username/.config/Mozilla

It should be:

/home/user/.mozilla/firefox

And there's a folder in that directory with a string of random alphanumeric characters, ending in *.default.  THAT is your firefox profile.  Delete it and Firefox will build a new one.  OR.....rename the existing one (I usually append "BAK" to a filename, such as abc123.default.BAK) and Firefox will rebuild a profile according to the name in the profile.ini file, but you still have the old profile to restore in case something goes wrong.  JMO...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

You gave him the wrong directory above: 

It should be:

/home/user/.mozilla/firefox

Huh? That is literally the same exact thing. As you know ~ equals /home/username

V.T. Eric Layton
5 hours ago, Ritzy said:

Id like to ensure I do have Recovery enabled but (call me dumb) I cant find where I would enable it, can you point me in the right direction please?

No one is called dumb or "newby" at Scot's. We frown on that. ;)

Anyway, Sync is what it's called. You can find the setup/settings for it in Menu --> Settings --> Sync.

---

Seems everyone here has answered most of your questions this morning. The one you ask about the changes in FF re: GLX/EGL... hmm... maybe. I'm not sure what Mint is running these days with regards to graphics drivers, but I can tell you that Slackware is definitely NOT using EGL and FF 94.0.1 runs fine on my Slackware.

V.T. Eric Layton
9 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

That is literally the same exact thing. As you know ~ equals /home/username

Yup. However, we can't assume that everyone knows that. We're not all mega-techies like you. ;)

• Haha 1

Huh? That is literally the same exact thing. As you know ~ equals /home/username

Yes, but that wasn't the issue.  "User" and "Username" are indeed the same.  But you told him the directory was:

20 hours ago, securitybreach said:

/home/username/.config/Mozilla

When the directory should be /home/username/.mozilla/firefox

Maybe it's different on Arch?  But OP is using MInt, derivative of Ubuntu, derivative of Debian.  And that's where MY firefox profile is located on my Debian OS; so I I assume that's where it is on his Mint OS.  I think he's gonna have a real hard time finding that profile using the directory path you provided from your Arch system.  It's all good...your advice was solid....just corrected the path for Debian-based OS.  Nothing more...

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, Hedon James said:

Maybe it's different on Arch?

I think it's the same in Arch, at least it was back when I was playing around with it. Well, just typo/memory slip. All's well. I'm sure Ritzy got the idea. She's a "she", by the way. :)

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, securitybreach said:

It is the same on all linux distros.

No worries SB.  I think you had a typo, or finger slip, or something.

I don't have a /home/username/.config/Mozilla directory on my system, but I do have a /home/username/.mozilla/firefox directory.  Other than that one detail, your advice was solid and spot-on, just as it usually is, so you see why I thought maybe Firefox files may possibly be in a different place on Arch?  It's all good, my friend! 

18 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Well I did reply from my phone while running around at work.

Stop with the bragging matey. We could all run once upon a time. 😪

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Running? HAHAHA! Haven't done that in a while. I only run when in fear of immanent death... and, thankfully, that doesn't happen too often. ;)

And yes, WHAT are "PCWorld web setups"???

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Not bragging at all . But my rig handles 30000 fish with ease and even does so when playing around with the advanced controls. 😜

What browser and version? I would imagine WebGL support has advanced somewhat since my old FF 78 ESR. 🙃 Computer is 6 year old i5 6500 w GTX970.

I just tried it in Chromium 90, works OK with 30,000 fish almost smoothly.

• Like 1