Is Your Son a Computer Hacker? Is your son obsessed with "Lunix?

securitybreach

securitybreach

Haha, ran across this gem this morning from 2001.

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix?"

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

Some other hilarious ones as well https://www.gwern.net/docs/cs/2001-12-02-treginaldgibbons-isyoursonacomputerhacker.html

• Haha 4
  • +1 1

17 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

UH-OH! When I started my system this morning, I saw that LILO thing they mentioned. :(

Only time I see a lilo is when I am on holiday.

A1kaAstDClL._SL1500_.jpg

😁

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton
4 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Only time I see a lilo is when I am on holiday.

Please 'splain to the old man. I don't get this one???

10 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

Isn't Lilo a Kinks song?

Hahaha!  Good one....I chuckled and spit coffee!

Then, I thought "what if he wasn't joking?"  It's so hard to tell on the internet.  So on the outside chance you weren't trying to be humorous, it's actually LOLA.  And now I'm in the mood to hear it!

• Haha 1

securitybreach
19 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

LOL.... HJ....hope the coffee splatter didn't ruin anything important! 

Probably not the first time :hysterical:

• Agree 1

I can deal with a little coffee splatter but one time I tipped a bowl of chunky soup onto the laptop keyboard.  I was able to salvage the hd but the rest I couldn't.  And I was hungry too....

• Haha 1

securitybreach

Well I've spilled scotch on my keyboard before but after soaking it in rubbing alcohol for a few hours and letting it dry, it was just fine.

V.T. Eric Layton
4 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Isn't Lilo a Kinks song?

It will be from now on, now that you mentioned it. ;)

Lee-lo... Lee... Lee... Lee... Lee-lo...

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I trashed my original Logitech G-610 mechanical keyboard a couple years back by spilling coffee on it. It shorted out the electronics. I was sad. :(

Fortunately, I found a fellow selling a nearly-new one on eBay for about 1/3 the price of my original. I bought that one and am still using it. I'm much more careful with food/fluids around it these days, though. I love my G-610!

logitech-keyboard-600x450.jpg

Oh, and everyone knows my poison of choice...

eow89jU.jpg

• Like 1

Eric, I'm not familiar with the keyboard you use.  In fact, I wasn't sure how a mechanical KB differed from a regular KB.  Now I know.  I just looked it up.  Cool. 

• Like 1

securitybreach

The difference is night and day between membrane keyboards and mechanical keyboards. Remember the old IBM Model M keyboards from the 1990s, those used mechanical switches. It's cost me about $300 to build one but they are solid and very nice to type on. It's $100 for the build, $100 for the case and another $100 for keycaps.

4 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I like Jameson, it has a nice smokey flavor. Plus I drink enough scotch that I do not want to pay $50+ a bottle.

But Jameson isn't Scotch. It's Irish.🥳